Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Question about iron sights on an AR

noddaz
United States of America

Question about iron sights on an AR

#1 Post by noddaz » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:07 pm

I do have a question about sights on Ar rifles. On modern AR rifles why is the front sight so close to the handguard? I realize that most people would not even be using iron sights, but doesn't it affect the aiming with the front sight a third of the way down the barrel?

Thanks...

RWS
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: Question about iron sights on an AR

#2 Post by RWS » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:47 am

This is just my opinion, but I think you can blame it on the straight stock. If an AR had a pistol-grip stock like the M1 or M14 that elevated the bore line then both the front and rear sights could be positioned much lower. The straight stock dictates that the sights be much higher above the bore line for maximum ergonomic sighting. And, a straight stock is required to allow the buffer to travel.

Note that Ruger's Mini-14 utilizes a conventional pistol-grip stock that allows the sights to be placed lower on the barrel because the bore line of that gun's design is closer to the line of sight. Ruger was able to do this because they used a piston system with a recoil spring in front of the bolt instead of a D.I. system with the recoil spring in the stock.

Basically, the AR's design dictates where the front sight needs to go and a shorter sight radius is one of the few shortcomings of this design.

The original carry handle effectively allowed for a compact rear sight design , but if the front sight were mounted on the flash suppressor instead of the front sight base then it would have to be ridiculously tall or the barrel diameter would have to be increased greatly near the muzzle in order to accommodate a shorter, more robust front sight and add a lot more weight.

Stoner got around all that by designing the front sight base as both the fixed end socket for the gas tube as well as a robust elevated platform for the front sight, all at the expense of the sight radius.

-Bob

noddaz
United States of America

#3 Post by noddaz » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:14 am

Thank you for the reply RWS. You answered my question at the end of your post. Since the front sight is also the gas tube block, the position of the gas tube block dictates where the front sight is located.
Thank you again.
Noddaz

Hammerdown
United States of America

#4 Post by Hammerdown » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:11 pm

The muzzle of NATO member rifles need to be able to fire 22mm rifle grenades even though the U.S. doesn't use them anymore except for a few special grenades. The sleeve of the grenade needs to slide over the muzzle and barrel a few inches to be able to be fired with out a grenade adapter installed so you can not have a front sight base at the muzzle. The rifles have a way better sight radius than the carbines.
Captain Obvious, you have never failed me!

Return to “M16/AR Style”