Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

M16A1 clone

LouisCali
United States of America

M16A1 clone

#1 Post by LouisCali » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:21 am

I got this built and I'm just waiting on getting a sling for it.
It's built from a surplus parts kit which was missing the barrel unfortunately and since I like not having my front door breached I used a regular lower parts kit and ordered a domestic lower from McKay Enterprises, the fit is fine, it just looks too clean.
The bayonet is marked BOC.

Now to think about an XM177-E1.
Attachments
20170802-183716.png
20171212_191153.jpg

RWS
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: M16A1 clone

#2 Post by RWS » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:02 am

I really like these retro rifles. Very light, handy, and accurate to boot. A XM177E1 clone will be far more challenging with regard to finding parts than an A1 clone but I'm sure you already know that.

What kind of barrel did you use; USGI or aftermarket?

The BOC (Bauer Ordnance Co.) bayonet is a nice plus as they are less common than an Imperial like mine. Here's my gratuitous pic. Yours and mine look very similar:
RetroAR15.JPG
-Bob

LouisCali
United States of America

#3 Post by LouisCali » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:50 am

Another extra boon, is that the stock that came with the surplus kit has the rack number 74, and the scabbard on the bayonet has 74 as well. I'm sure there's been at least a few 74s stenciled on pieces like these so the likelihood of a legit match is unlikely, but still nice.

The barrel is aftermarket from Green Mountain barrels.

RWS
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#4 Post by RWS » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:06 am

Several years ago the only Green MountaIn barrels I could find were in the white, came without a front sight base, and you had to drill the tapered pin holes to install said FSB. Is there a source now for Green Mtn. barrels that are already phosphated with tapered pin holes present or did you have to do all the extra work?

I was lucky enough to find 5 of the Air Force complete A1 upper assemblies when they changed over to an A2 upper configuration so all my retro rifles have USGI barrels. When building rifles for friends though, I have sometimes used Del-Ton's lightweight pencil barrels. They are excellent quality, very accurate, and already have the barrel nut and FSB installed. Biggest downside is that although they use a 5/8" diameter barrel, the barrel diameter is 3/4" at the FSB only, so not totally correct but not really noticeable unless you look very closely. Only $155 though, so not a budget buster.

However, I wouldn't mind trying a Green Mtn. barrel if they came ready to install, which is really the focus of my question.

I guess the best aftermarket retro barrels out there are from Brownell's as they are chrome-lined and can be had in 1-in-12 or 1-in-7 twist rates, but they don't stay in stock long and seem to usually be out of stock whenever I need one.

-Bob

LouisCali
United States of America

#5 Post by LouisCali » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:46 am

The one I bought directly from Green Mountain Barrels was phosphate coated but the pins still had to be drilled.
I wish I had bought the upper years ago when we could still get them with the surplus barrels, then I would have been able to avoid some of the machinist cost and have a more original rifle. But, a brand new bore is nice. Gunny surplus was it? I remember the listings for complete uppers being $250, paid probably $350-400 for mine minus the barrel.

I didn't really go for the chrome lined barrel, I was spending enough money as it is, and with the volume of shooting I would do, I wouldn't really see the benefit of a chrome lined bore.

As for the XM177-E1, I think the best offer in town would just to buy the complete E2 rifle from Troy, I haven't begun to look for parts yet but did hear about their deal and from what they're offering it would likely be damn close maybe cheaper, and it would all be put together too.

S.B.
United States of America

#6 Post by S.B. » Sat May 26, 2018 12:54 pm

Just finished mine but, does have the M16A2 dust cover and M16A2 front sight.
Steve

Return to “M16/AR Style”