Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Anyone here dealt with NoDak for a lower retro reciever?

S.B.
United States of America

Anyone here dealt with NoDak for a lower retro reciever?

#1 Post by S.B. » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:29 pm

To specs? Says you need their front pin, why? Won't a apposing screw work? Isn't their front pin hole 1/4"?
Steve
Last edited by S.B. on Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RWS
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: Anyone here dealt with NoDak for a lower retro reciever?

#2 Post by RWS » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:11 am

Nodak is fine. They are about the only game in town if you are looking for a new A1 lower. They're pricey though. All of their lowers are built to spec on the tight side of tolerances for minimal slop between the upper and lower receivers.

To the best of my knowledge the only lower that needs the special pin is their NDS-601 slick side retro lower that is designed to replicate the very early Armalite 601 lower, which was more or less a short-lived prototype It was superceded by the Colt 603, which did not require the special pin but, if I recall correctly. I believe the 604 model is what eventually became the M-16.

Note that "to spec" for a 601 lower is not to spec for an M16 lower.

If you want to build a retro rifle, trying to build a 601 is about the hardest task you could take on simply because many of the unique parts for a 601 are nearly impossible to find. If you just want to build an early Colt-style AR then go with Nodak's NDS-16A1 Retro lower. It is to spec the way you are thinking, even down to the Colt grey finish as opposed to flat black.

As to the screw for the front pin, the only AR's that use that goofy system are Colt civilian models (SP1's and such), and the screw is larger than 1/4 inch (.315" in fact), which definitely is not to spec for a military build.

Nodak is backordered on everything, but you can get on the waiting list if you're not in a hurry. If not, then it's still possible to find a commercial A1 receiver built by Palmetto, Essential Arms, Olympic, Bushmaster, etc. Just gotta go on the hunt. The A2 lowers are much easier to come by but do have some visual differences, but they are not glaring. You can get one of those for about $50 and just wait until a proper A1 lower becomes available. Then, just swap the parts over. In the meantime, you have a functioning rifle (assuming you have all the other parts).

There is a wealth of retro rifle information on AR-15.com. Just go to their site, click on Discussion Forums, and then click on the AR-15/M16 Retro Forum and start reading. You will probably learn a lot more than you think you want to know.

-Bob

S.B.
United States of America

#3 Post by S.B. » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:10 pm

Bob, my A2 Government(civilian) model also uses the opposing screw system?
Steve

RWS
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#4 Post by RWS » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:32 pm

If it is an older Colt Civilian Model then it probably uses the opposing screw system that is NOT to military specifications. I think the more recent Colt Civilian Models may have done away with the screw system and use push pins instead.

Have you gone to the Retro Rifle section of AR-15.com yet?

-Bob

S.B.
United States of America

#5 Post by S.B. » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:46 pm

I have a great deal of trouble with that website?
Steve

Return to “M16/AR Style”