Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Palmetto State Armory PA-10 .308 Rifles

RWS
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Palmetto State Armory PA-10 .308 Rifles

#1 Post by RWS » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:39 am

I've been talking to several people lately who are bemoaning the fact that you just can't get a M14/M1A clone at a reasonable price any more. This has created an opportunity for some vendors to offer AR-10 clones. While not even close in profile to a M1A, it does offer the opportunity to procure a .308 rifle on an AR platform for $550 before shipping. This is only about $100 more than the cheap M4 clones are going for.

Palmetto State Armory offers AR-10 upper and lower assemblies (that they call PA-10) you can put together to get a rifle you can live with. The $550 rifle consists of a lower receiver with a carbine/M4 style stock using an "H" buffer for $200 and a complete 18" barreled upper receiver assembly (that includes a bolt carrier and charging handle) for $300. The lower receiver takes Mag-Pul .308 mags, available from PSA for $20, or you can get 'em at Academy for $19. Paperwork & NICS fees for the lower in my area is $30, which adds up to $550. Gratuitous links provided below...

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-gen2 ... 47590.html
http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-pa10 ... 45344.html
http://palmettostatearmory.com/magpul-p ... 1-blk.html

So... if you happen to have a spare scope and mount assembly laying around you're in with a range-ready gun at the $550 mark, or you can simply mount one of those $35 removable carry handles if you want inexpensive iron sights since the upper I linked has a front sight post.

I opted for a 20" barrel and M-LOK handguard which raised the price of the upper assembly to $420, but I was able to catch a sale on both the upper and lower assemblies that offered free shipping. I'm in with 3 magazines for $680, less than 1/3 the price of a M-14 clone. I'm OK with the higher price since I really, really wanted a 20" barrel (I should note that 20" HBAR and A2 profile barrels are offered for the same price; I wanted the lighter A2 profile). Pic below with a non-M4 16" barrelled carbine shown for size comparison. I have since added a front sight, M-LOK "rail covers", pistol grip w/trap door, and a sling swivel & sling:
P1010164.JPG
One caveat: There is no parts standard for the AR-10 platform. It is highly recommended that unless you know that parts procured from multiple vendors will fit you should stay with one manufacturer for all your parts. Palmetto has arguably one of the least expensive ways to assemble an AR-10 (using their parts).

Are they junk? Not to my eye. My upper and lower fit together beautifully, the M-LOK handguard was made by Mag-Pul, and the 416 stainless steel barrel was properly headspaced to the bolt (I checked). I'll be taking it out soon to verify accuracy and reliability but overall I am initially very impressed with PSA's workmanship. Not everyone's cup of tea, I'm sure, but seems to me to be a heckuva deal on a .308 semiauto rifle for $550. YMMV.

-Bob

VMASCIOP2000
United States of America

Re: Palmetto State Armory PA-10 .308 Rifles

#2 Post by VMASCIOP2000 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:20 pm

Good write up. Thanks.
I was R.L.E.V.M. on our old forum.

DaleH
United States of America

#3 Post by DaleH » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:49 pm

FWIW I have a PSA 16” SS mid-length Freedom upper in 5.56mm that has been flawless.

That price for a 308 AR platform is UNREAL! I built an AR 18” mid-length in 7.62x39mm and that cartridge is my FAVORITE in the ARs! Too bad that magazines are the weak link ... but the accuracy (using bulk $210/1000-rnd case) is simply astounding! More fun that the little 5.56 and a bit more kick.

RWS
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#4 Post by RWS » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:50 am

That price for a 308 AR platform is UNREAL!
Agreed. My point exactly. $520 (before shipping and paperwork fees) for a complete rifle with 1 magazine is just marginally higher than a comparably equipped AR-15. The main reason I bought mine was to get a better scope platform than what a M1A clone offers.

-Bob

Smokey
United States of America

#5 Post by Smokey » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:45 pm

Should I ever emigrate (escape) from the rotten place I live now, that rifle looks interesting.
Arguing with someone who denounces reason is like administering medicine to a corpse.

gabe
United States of America

#6 Post by gabe » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:50 am

Can't speak to the quality of their AR-10's but I've been buying AR-15 parts from them for years now. I don't know how they can sell stuff so cheap. Everything I've ordered has been of more than acceptable quality and always at a great price.

Return to “M16/AR Style”