Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Accuracy

timbo1955
United States of America

Accuracy

#1 Post by timbo1955 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:53 am

What is the standard for a new WW2 production M1 carbine , and at what distance , thanks .

Tuna
United States of America

Re: Accuracy

#2 Post by Tuna » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:51 pm

4 inches at 100 yards was the max acceptable size group. Most carbines would do 2 inches new at 100 yards. The carbines were designed for combat not a super accurate rifle. Figure 1 inch of bad guy at any distance out to 300 yards as the maximum effective range. There is a military target that you can find on line to sight in a carbine at 25 yards.

DarkLord
United States of America

#3 Post by DarkLord » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:13 pm

4 MOA sounds awfully tight for a small arm in WWII. The M1 Garand's minimum accuracy standard was 6 MOA. The M14's acceptance standard was 5.6 MOA and that was a decade after WWII.

I'll have to look it up, but if I had to guess, the standard was probably more like 6 MOA.

Regardless, as Tuna stated; most carbines will shoot MUCH better than that (as did Garand's and M14's)

Smokey
United States of America

#4 Post by Smokey » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:12 pm

Something to think about. Once you lift a rifle off the bench, most folks can't see any difference between a rifle that shoots one inch groups and one that shoots 3 or 4 inch groups at 100 yards. The human unsteadiness add a whole lot of scatter. Even if a decent Garand is capable of hits out to 800 yards on a human, rifle fire was found to be ineffective beyond 200 yards in combat.
Arguing with someone who denounces reason is like administering medicine to a corpse.

onefouralpha
United States of America

#5 Post by onefouralpha » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:04 pm

Kind of on that note Smokey, I took my M1 carbine to the range a few weeks back and decided that since it's a "glorified pistol cartridge" I'd test it out on the plate racks on the pistol portion of the range. Usually I just shoot groups and plink at 500 and 100yd. I was incredibly surprised at how well the rifle naturally points and the speed I was able to engage targets at close and intermediate distances. On the pistol course there's up to 25yd, then an adjoining "carbine" portion goes out to 200 and the little carbine was scary effective on steel.

Obviously a juiced up AR-15 is probably better, but I got to thinking about things in terms of WWII era guns and besides the questionable terminal effects of the .30 carbine my guess is that it may have been one of the more effective infantry fighting rifles around. Obviously this was on a bright sunny day and I've heard they don't always perform so well when dry/dirty/sandy but 15 rounds of semi-auto fire is still nothing to scoff at.

Anyway, the "combat accuracy" is certainly there.

Return to “M1 Carbine”