Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

m-1 Carbine questions

JTF-Bravo
United States of America

m-1 Carbine questions

#1 Post by JTF-Bravo » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:04 pm

What year did the stripper clip design go from the early one where a loading charger/spoon was permanently attached to the clip,
to the later M-16-style design where the stripper clips had no attached spoon and each bandoleer had a single separate charger/spoon in it?

I have seen the original specifications for the clip in a 1948 Army publication, where it was compared to the one used for the M1903 Springfield rifle, so that gives me a starting point. (Note: the clips were not used in WWII)

I have encountered 600 round spam cans from the 1950s with the attached spoons from the 1950's, so that is confirms their Korea and Vietnam war use. . For years, I have encountered fifty caliber cans with 1080 rounds on the new clips and with circa 1972 manufacture dates. Recently, I found most of a fifty caliber can with bandoleers, z-fold cardboards, and spoon-on-stripper clip with bandoleer dates of 1967.

Next question: What the last U.S. military unit to use M-1 Carbines? I have been told and have read some undetailed reports that the USAF was the last to phase them out, and that some USAF Security Police type units in the National Guard and Reserve were using them until the mid- possibly late-1970s.

Ghoulardi
Ukraine

Re: m-1 Carbine questions

#2 Post by Ghoulardi » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:22 pm

welcome :mrgreen:

can't help you on the ammo.

I don't know about the air force, but Army national guard units were still using carbines and Garands during the early 70s, on campus during the VN protesters, so it is very well possible they still had them in the mid to late 70s
COOL IT WITH THE BOOM-BOOMS!! OVA-DAY!!

JTF-Bravo
United States of America

#3 Post by JTF-Bravo » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:56 am

True. The ARNG troops that handled the Kent State riots were issued Garands.

JTF-Bravo
United States of America

#4 Post by JTF-Bravo » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:59 am

However, with the withdrawal of troops from Viet Nam, and the post-war draw down that would have freed up at least a quarter million M-16s to be re-issued to the ARNG and USAR. I wonder how long it took to switch units from M-1s to M-16s. (The M-14 was never produced in large enough numbers to be the universal rifle.)

Ghoulardi
Ukraine

#5 Post by Ghoulardi » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:01 pm

I wonder how long it took to switch units from M-1s to M-16s.
it probably took several years, rifles had to go back through Anniston or other arsenals to be refurbish and checked, from there it would have took a very long and complex trip through the supply chains for it to be fielded to NG units or other services reserve units. guess on my part probably 5-10 years.

remember boys and girls it just wasn't the army but also marine reserves and the other services also had to be fielded with M16s

JTF-Bravo
United States of America

#6 Post by JTF-Bravo » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:26 pm

So, it was possible for M-1 Carbines to be still fielded by units into1979? 1982?

Ghoulardi
Ukraine

#7 Post by Ghoulardi » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:18 pm

JTF-Bravo wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:26 pm
So, it was possible for M-1 Carbines to be still fielded by units into1979? 1982?

troops started to be pulled out of viet nam shortly after the peace treaty was signed in 1973. don't forget, not every M16s came out of VN, a whole bunch was left for the SVN. so whatever M16 came out were either put in the units arms room by returning soldiers or was sent to be re-arsenal plus the fact that COLT had to make more M16s, to the already stockpiled M16s they already had stock piled in the US. so yeah, it is very well possible that some NG units didn't get M16s until end of the 70s to the beginning of the 80s.

there was no immediate bum rush to issue NG and other reserve units with M16s, they did it as a upgrade of small arms to the NG and other units.

JTF-Bravo
United States of America

#8 Post by JTF-Bravo » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:38 pm

When I enlisted in the Army Reserve in 1981, some of our rifles were engraved XM-15, and some of them had slick sides.

In 1986, I found M-3a1 "grease guns" in the arms room of an Air Defense unit equipped with M-42 "Duster" twin 40mm guns on M-41 "Walker Bulldog" tank chassis.

Tuna
United States of America

#9 Post by Tuna » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:47 pm

When the Marines came ashore in Vietnam they carried M14 rifles. They did not get M16's till later on. The Navy still has M14's on board many of it's ships. Used more for mine destruction then repelling boarders. But Navy bases had M14 rifles for use by Base Police at least into the mid 80's if not later.

The original stripper clips for the carbines were developed during WW2. They were not issued then but because a standard by the beginning of the Korean war. But even then most carbine ammo was still WW2 surplus in 50 round boxes. The 600 round cans were used in the Vietnam era. When ammo started to get on the low side they started production about the mid 60's and used the same system as the M16 used.

Carbines in general could be found in NG armory's around the country even when the M16 was general issue for them. Mostly just sat in the armory gathering dust but well into the mid 80's.

M3 Grease guns were the standard issue in US tanks just about up to recently. If you looked in an M1 Abrams and you would find them there.

Return to “M1 Carbine”