Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

First Carbine!

onefouralpha
United States of America

First Carbine!

#1 Post by onefouralpha » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:12 am

I finally got a carbine! I've been keeping an eye out for them for a few years now and it finally lined up that I found one locally for a decent price. Got the rifle and bayonet for $1050 which I think is fair. I've seen rifles in worse condition go for $1200-1400 locally (worn out blue sky imports even) with no accessories.

Inland 12-43 barrel, 1-44 receiver from serial #-- I imagine they're a matching original pair. "BA IAB" stock cartouche (Benicia Arsenal from what I can find). Mostly inland parts, but a couple Winchester bits in there that I've found so far. I'm not hip just yet on which parts are "correct" or "original" but I'm honestly not too concerned. Most US rifles end up in some sort of arsenal rebuilt condition so it is what it is.

I grabbed 100 rounds today after work. Hoping to shoot it some time this week. Incredibly light/handy, good sights, I can't imagine there's much recoil. I think it might end up my favorite milsurp to shoot. 8-)

DaleH
United States of America

Re: First Carbine!

#2 Post by DaleH » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:53 am

Very nice, enjoy!

M67
Slovenia

#3 Post by M67 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:08 pm

Beautiful carbine.I have her younger sister (Inland 1-45, GM, NPM stock). Would you share some bayonet photos?
»You're a disgrace. I'd like to know how you got to be a Captain, anyway. »Yossarian: »You promoted me.« Colonel Cathcart: » That has got nothing to do with it.«

onefouralpha
United States of America

#4 Post by onefouralpha » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:23 pm

Sure! I am clueless on bayonets. It says US M4 CONETTA on it if you can't make it out on the one picture.

I was able to get out today after work and shoot 30 rounds. Great fun. It actually kicks a little more than I expected, but still a very fun rifle to shoot. Really like the sights-- We'll see what I draw for tags this year but I think I could probably manage a whitetail with this thing. If not, certainly intend to get a coyote with it. Still can't get over how handy it is.

sowbelle
United States of America

#5 Post by sowbelle » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:51 pm

Coyotes yes
Whitetail? Not sure if the .30 carbine round has enough knock down for 90 lbs and up
But you have a bayo
shoot first run at the deer and finished it with the blade :D :D :D :D :think: :think:

onefouralpha
United States of America

#6 Post by onefouralpha » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:08 pm

No worse than a .357 magnum, and not far behind a 300 blackout. Within 75yd I'm pretty comfortable with it. The tag I'd use it for is Black Hills Whitetail (south dakota), which is mostly short-range shots anyway.

Tuna
United States of America

#7 Post by Tuna » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:56 pm

You do have a nice post war rebuilt carbine. It is more then adequate to take a deer out to 75 yards. Bullet placement is the key to any successful hunt. Most ammo companies make a good soft point for the carbine and a deer is a thin skinned animal.

DaleH
United States of America

#8 Post by DaleH » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:03 pm

FWIW the Hornady Critical Defense ammo in M1 Carbine loading tested hotter than 357 loads, but forget where I read it recently; maybe Gun Tests magazine or the AR/M4 forums.

RWS
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#9 Post by RWS » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:41 am

FWIW, that Conetta bayonet is a post-WW2 "second production" M4 model, identifiable by the plastic grips and slightly wider crosspiece. Conetta was a Stamford, Connecticut firm, one of 4 manufacturers of second production M4 bayos that also included Turner Manufacturing Co., Imperial Knife Co., and Bren-Dan Manufacturing Co.

In its arsenal rebuild condition with the Conetta bayonet it would be "correct" for the Korean and VietNam conflicts.

The original "first production" WW2 M4 bayos had leather grips.
BAY-41A-2T.jpg
BAY-41A-2T.jpg (7.57 KiB) Viewed 97 times
-Bob

Return to “M1 Carbine”