Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

M1 Garand

26Intrepid
United States of America

M1 Garand

#1 Post by 26Intrepid » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:12 am

I have a question I was hoping somebody can answer. I’ve attached two photos of this 1944 M1 Garand I’m looking at buying. In front of the receiver appears to be some kind of a metal mount with a drilled hole? Present owner believes this was the sniper version on the M1 (M1C). I know this isn’t the M1C but wondering what attachment was in front of the receiver? I haven’t bought a book on M1’s yet... just wondering if someone out there could shed some light? Original or postwar configuration? Thanks? Sorry these are th only two pics I have
Attachments
6D376C1D-C558-4090-A482-78F465547187.jpeg
06D7F7AA-B88B-47F6-8A90-57D5F2B830C0.jpeg

Ernest T
United States of America

Re: M1 Garand

#2 Post by Ernest T » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:23 pm

That is an M1D sniper base. The scope mount screws into the hole on the side. Difficult to say whether it is an original M1D or not, since it is a fairly often replicated rifle. I think only rifles that have come from the CMP are verifiable as "original" M1Ds. M1D production started towards the end of 1944, but I don't think any M1Ds were used in WWII. They were a replacement for the M1C sniper and all were made up of replacement parts on existing rifles. I think they were in production through the Korean war. Most all original M1Ds had a barrel drawing number of D7312555, but this does not guarantee that you have an original M1D. There were many barrels left over from the original production and so many rifles were made up by individuals who "cloned" the M1D. The CMP verifiable rifles are definitely considered more valuable than a rifle that has no verifiable USGI history, so getting CMP verification would be a good idea before you decide on a value. I think I paid $1500 for a CMP Service grade rifle several years ago before they sold out (this was for the rifle only without the mount, scope, and other accessories).

You could submit the serial number of the rifle to the CMP and see if they had a record of it (I think they charge a fee for this service, but probably worth it before you purchase). I'd also recommend getting more photos and posting your question on the CMP forum in the Garand section. There are many knowledgeable Garand guys over there if you want to know for sure.

Very nice looking rifle by the way!

Here is a photo of my CMP M1D with an original scope mount and scope attached to the rifle:

26Intrepid
United States of America

#3 Post by 26Intrepid » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:56 pm

Thank you sir for the informative reply!

Good information on CMP suggestion. I have pics of the rifle that appears to be very clean. The older gentleman selling this rifle said he received it from his cousin who was in WW2. There’s so many fakes out there... and sadly enough, people will do anything to make a buck. I think I will buy a book on M1’s before making the purchase. I’d like to learn as much as I can before pulling the trigger on one. Anyways, he’s was asking $2500.00 for the rifle and has now lowered it to $2000.00.

I didn’t realize that the M1D’s were made towards the end of 1944. I thought they were manufactured later near the Korean War. I learn something new everyday.

Once again, thank you for the reply!
David

Charles Lipscomb
United States of America

#4 Post by Charles Lipscomb » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:03 pm

Books are always a good first step. Even asking questions can save you thousands of dollars over the long run.
Good luck,
" The beatings will continue until morale improves."
Management

checkmate19
United States of America

#5 Post by checkmate19 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:43 pm

M1Ds are arsenal modifications of standard M1 models. The barrels are from 51 to 53 so they were not made near the end of WWII . The CMP documented M1Ds carry a premium over undocumented rifles, does the one being offered have any paper work, if not it is worth the sum of its parts. The barrel will have numbers on the top under the upper guard that end in 555 if not it is not a M1D barrel. The cmp may stll have some service grades for 1500 ish with out accessories . The CMP for sale adds often have very nice one for fair prices. I do not think the 2k is a great deal with out papers and a good inspection . There were many made up from parts over the years and a lot of reproduction mounts and regular barrels.

checkmate19
United States of America

#6 Post by checkmate19 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:46 pm

Second the advice about posting on the cmp,

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#7 Post by 72 usmc » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:24 am

Second the advice about posting on the cmp,
:text-yeahthat: :text-+1:
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

checkmate19
United States of America

#8 Post by checkmate19 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:31 pm

Keep us posted on what you decide to do, are you looking for a sniper or a M1 Garand? Give me a shout if looking for a M1, I am just oiver the bridge from you.

orlando
United States of America

#9 Post by orlando » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:12 pm

Without documentation it is overpriced.

26Intrepid
United States of America

#10 Post by 26Intrepid » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:16 pm

I was inquiring on his firearm but I think the seller was getting frustrated with me. He’s an older gentleman and I don’t think he really knows a lot about the weapon he’s selling. I was asking him if the stock has any cartouche markings and he didn’t know what I was talking about. I tried to explain what I was talking about but he stopped communicating. Am I looking for a sniper rifle? Not really... I retired two years ago after 30 years and now my hobby is collecting WW1 & WW2 firearms. When I find something that I like... I start looking for as much information I can get on that particular firearm. I’ve found this site to be a great tool for me. I learn a lot from people like yourself. An M1 Garand is on my list... but so is an M1 carbine. It just takes a lot of investigating because... like I said before... lots of scams as you well know! Once again, thank you sir for your knowledgeable information. David

Ernest T
United States of America

#11 Post by Ernest T » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:42 pm

If you are looking for a "starter" M1 Garand, I'd recommend ordering one from the CMP. You can get a nice service grade rifle for $750 including shipping in a hard case. They are going through rifles brought back from the Philippines right now, and guys are getting some surprisingly nice rifles. Its really not hard to meet the requirements for ordering from the CMP, but a lot of guys are willing to pay $200-300 more for the same quality rifle just to avoid the paperwork. Having a rifle with a CMP certificate also makes them more valuable if you decide to sell it in the future. I just recently ordered another one from them..................I think this will be my 9th or 10th, but who is counting except the wife? :shhh:

26Intrepid
United States of America

#12 Post by 26Intrepid » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:31 am

Thank you for the advice... I will check them out! Momma is always watching!

Return to “M1 Garand”