Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

7.62MM Garand

kmfrost
United States of America

7.62MM Garand

#1 Post by kmfrost » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:00 pm

I recently purchased a Garand and I was wondering if anyone could tell me more about it. I went into a local gun store on my 20th birthday last month and I was looking at their collection of Garands and I picked up one of them and noticed that the rifle was marked incorrectly as a 30-06 and seemed to be priced well at $1500 so I jumped on it. It is a May of 1942 Springfield Armory receiver with a 1966 Springfield Armory 7.62MM barrel on it. Even though its a 7.62 Garand to does not have a block in the receiver to prevent a clip of 30-06 being loaded into it . The rifle has a set of National Match sights on it and the front hand guard and the lower bands have been permanently attached and, as well as the stating swivel, don't move. The bottom of the pistol grip has the last two digits of the serial number on it in black like its a rack number and the bottom of the bolt has the last four digits of the serial number written on it in white. The US Rifle Cal 30 M1 Springfield Armory 636XXX have been colored in white. It looks as if the rifle has a government re-park on it and all of the parts on the rifle are SA other than the safety which is a W.R.A.. I have talked to several local gunsmiths and collectors and none can seem to tell me much about the rifle, so I called the CMP and talked to a gentlemen in the armory at the Alabama store about the rifle and he told me that he believed that it would be a National Match rifle. The rifle is extremely tight in the stock, but the stock has not been glassed. I have read the NRA American Riflemen article (https://www.americanrifleman.org/articl ... nd-rifles/) on 7.62 Garands and as far as I can tell the rifle best matches their description of the USMC Match Rifle, but I'm no expert. It could be a rifle that someone had picked up and accursed themselves but the rack number wouldn't make any sense if it was a privately owned rifle would it? If anyone could tell me more about the rifled maybe give me an idea of what it is worth that would be great.

RWS
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: 7.62MM Garand

#2 Post by RWS » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:59 am

It probably did have a spacer block in it at one time. They are not difficult to install or remove.

There is/was at least one application where M1 Garands in 7.62 NATO caliber were used by the U.S. Navy on board some vessels. They were allegedly used for shooting mines at a safe distance when one was spotted floating in the water. I don't know whether they are used to this day or not. Probably not, I would venture.

I'm not saying that's what you have; I'm just saying it's only one of several possibilities.

Rapid Rob is a retired sailor and would likely know more than I do about the Navy M1 Garands.

As to value, if you can prove any kind of actual U.S. Military provenance or connection then the value for collectors goes up substantially. If it can't be proven then I think you are in the ballpark at $1,500. The explanation could be as simple as someone with a WW2 Garand that needed a barrel replacement had a gunsmith install one in 7.62 caliber. I remember seeing the 7.62 surplus barrels for sale for less than $50 back in the 1970's. If that sounds cheap then consider that at about the same time I bought several new-in-the-wrap 2-groove Springfield barrels for $5 apiece from P&S Sales.

-Bob

DaleH
United States of America

#3 Post by DaleH » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:01 pm

RWS wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:59 am
The explanation could be as simple as someone with a WW2 Garand that needed a barrel replacement had a gunsmith install one in 7.62 caliber.
... that’s what I was thinking too ...

Tuna
United States of America

#4 Post by Tuna » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:03 pm

The Naval version of the Garand in 7.62 was issued to the Navy rifle teams and were not used on board ships. The Navy used a chamber insert to convert the 30-06 to 7.62. But sometimes those would come out stuck to a fired case. Later ones had their barrels changed to 7.62.

Don357
United States of America

#5 Post by Don357 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:41 am

From reading the posts, I am assuming that 7.62 is referring to 7.62x51 NATO or .308 Winchester. We must remember to specify which 7.62 we are talking about for the benefit of those who are new to military calibers.
7.62x39= AK round,
7.62x51R= .30/30,
7.62x51nato=.308 Win,
7.62x54R= Mosin Nagant round, and
7.62x63= .30/06 govt

roverboy
United States of America

#6 Post by roverboy » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:12 pm

yeah, I'm sure its 7.62/.308. That's what a lot of guys are rebarreling M1's to now. I almost wish mine was in .308 too. I've got a lot more brass in .308 than .30-06.

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#7 Post by Rapidrob » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:38 pm

The rifles were used for bullseye competitions. Thy shoot very well indeed. Check to see if your stock has Acuglass or other beading compound in it?
If not is may be one of the barreled actions CMP sold a few years back and put into a stock.
I cannot confirm the "Mine" use,as all of my ships had M-14's on board. But anything is possible after the rifles were pulled from target shooting service.
In 1966 the Navy was still using M-1 Rifles on board all ships in .30-06. We kept the rifles until late 1972 when they were cut up and replaced with the M-14's.
Prior to '72 all ships had: Browning M2 .50 MG's, M-1 Garand's. Thompson M1 SMG's, Browning BAR's, Browning M1917's, Winchester M-97 Riot Shotguns and the 1911 pistols.
After '72 the newer ships had: Browning M2 .50 MG's, M-14's, Remington 870 Riot shotguns, M-60 MG's, M-79 Grenade launchers, and the M1911 pistol's.
At all times we had H&R .45-70 Line throwing guns. We later in '76 got the 20 MM CIWS and we could carry one million rounds of 20 mm. At 100 rounds a second,it go quick.
Older ships may have had the WWII arms until they were decommissioned and all arms destroyed.
I Never saw anyone onboard any ship in my squadrons ever have an M-16 or a Beretta pistol.
If you do have a Navy 7.62 NATO converted rifle,CMP B/Action or complete as issued rifled, it will be worth a lot in your lifetime.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

Return to “M1 Garand”