Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

CMP Special Grade

Smokey
United States of America

CMP Special Grade

#1 Post by Smokey » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:32 am

Just recently obtained one for general utility use (I'm really fond of the Garands). If you actually use a rifle and am not a collector, I highly recommend one. The receivers are inspected, gauged and refinished. Everything else is either new or like-new and refinished. What you get is essentially a brand new rifle. I field stripped mine and lubricated every friction point with Mobil 1 synthetic grease. I used LSA oil in the trigger group and a few other places then tried it out yesterday. After about 6 rounds to settle it back into the stock (normal with the Garand) I started putting bullets into the same holes as I found the 100 yard elevation setting. I would fire a couple shots, adjusted elevation, repeat.
It's also maybe a pound lighter than rifles made with the birch and beech stocks. Note that loosening the screw on the elevation drum allows you to rotate the drum without moving the rear sight. For windage I loosen and move the front sight to be on with the rear set to center.
After I've used this for a while, I'll completely disassemble it and coat all surfaces (barrel, lower band etc.) with grease. The wood will get the raw linseed oil treatment. Applied twice a day for weeks (3-6 weeks) until it stops soaking in. This completely seals it so the zero doesn't change throughout the year.
Arguing with someone who denounces reason is like administering medicine to a corpse.

luigi
United States of America

Re: CMP Special Grade

#2 Post by luigi » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:47 am

OK Smokey...no pictures?? We want to see it.

I have a couple of Garands and they are a must own for anyone. I have a "Springfield" Special (1955) for the range and a WW2 ( 1943 ) for the safe.

Smokey
United States of America

#3 Post by Smokey » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:09 pm

Right now it's disassembled. The wood is getting treated with raw linseed oil (this takes weeks) and is already a lot darker. Each metal component will be covered with grease inside out (except where oil is the proper lube) as the rifle get reassembled. Many years ago I worked on a malfunctioning (completely dry) Garand, where I found extensive corrosion under the handguards and inside the stock (wasn't mine). It was a real mess to clean up. Hopefully the owner learned dry is NOT good after I showed him what resulted. :naughty:

Yes the "dry is good" stupidity is one of my pet peeves. :x
Arguing with someone who denounces reason is like administering medicine to a corpse.

Smokey
United States of America

Re: CMP Special Grade - Pictures

#4 Post by Smokey » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:14 am

Here it is. The gas cylinder looks lighter from the bright sun on it.
The red stuff under the op rod is GREASE. On first assembly I use some extra.
I'm using Mobil 1 synthetic.
The excess gets wiped off after I've used it a bit and the grease is worked in.
Right Side
The attachment RM1Special 3.jpg is no longer available
Attachments
RM1Special 3.jpg

Smokey
United States of America

#5 Post by Smokey » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:17 am

RM1Special 1.jpg
Other Side:

Smokey
United States of America

#6 Post by Smokey » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:22 am

That's not how the web sling is installed per the military. I hate the "rattleclank" clip and in normal use keep the sling tight on the rifle. When I need my hands free I'll open up the slack. I carry it loaded in both hands, ready for a snap shot, after sudden close-in charges by moose and bear.

luigi
United States of America

#7 Post by luigi » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:25 am

Looks nice Smokey! Thanks for the pics!

Let us know when you send some lead down range!

Ernest T
United States of America

#8 Post by Ernest T » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:46 pm

I got a Special grade in 308. Very fun to shoot and pretty darn accurate for a semi-auto. I love the looks of a raw linseed finish. It will gradually get a darker redish color over time.

Smokey
United States of America

#9 Post by Smokey » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:37 am

My CMP special is now pretty much the only one I use. Been testing my accumulated M2 Ball with it, and doing more shooting on my land. It really carries pretty well with both hands and balances just right for "field" positions.

roverboy
United States of America

#10 Post by roverboy » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:04 pm

That's a really nice one. Hold on to it for a while.

Smokey
United States of America

#11 Post by Smokey » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:25 pm

Thanks, I intend to keep it as long as I'm physically able to use it. Having eight 30-06 cartridges in a quick-firing rifle for close-in animal attacks is comforting. So, while it's a little heavier than most hunting rifles, this is what I carry in the woods all the time now. It's accurate, and the weight and balance helps me use that accuracy.

OldGrouchyGuy
United States of America

#12 Post by OldGrouchyGuy » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:26 am

Thanks Smokey for getting me to consider a special grade. I had ordered afew garands from CMP to fill out my collection ( to get one of each manufacturer, and I still need a winchester). I had a WWII SA, but ordered a Service grade H&R with a LMR barrel and a IHC Service grade. I had read your post and added in a field grade CMP special in .308.

For the special I got a rifle with a WWII SN recvr from SA, that had been reparked. It had a brand new CMP stock. They said it would have considerable pitting above the woodline but it had hardly no pitting at all. I have seen service grades with more pitting. I was extremely happy with it. I haven't taken it apart yet to check below woodline etc..

Anyway, thanks again for convincing me to get a CMP special. I really appreciate it.
NRA Lifetime member, CHL, C&R - Known to be extremely Grouchy and may be armed. Do not attempt to apprehend and instead notify local authorities.

OldGrouchyGuy
United States of America

#13 Post by OldGrouchyGuy » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:02 pm

I had ordered the field grade CMP special because that was the only special they had in stock at the time (last month). I just checked and ALL the specials are sold out. That particular offering (Field Grade .308) sold out yesterday. Smokey, I owe you double thanks !

For those who want a CMP special I am sure there will be plenty more in the future as they bring some of the more worn Philippine garands back to life.
NRA Lifetime member, CHL, C&R - Known to be extremely Grouchy and may be armed. Do not attempt to apprehend and instead notify local authorities.

Smokey
United States of America

#14 Post by Smokey » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:17 pm

Thanks, I love being a good influence. A co-worker is ordering a service grade as all the specials are gone for now.

Return to “M1 Garand”