Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Something to think about

Smokey
United States of America

Something to think about

#1 Post by Smokey » Sun May 06, 2018 8:34 am

The M1 Garand has always been a utilitarian rifle that's meant to be used. The huge majority have been through an overhaul at least once and are in in an official US military configuration. They are generally mixmasters of inspected, sound and good parts pulled at random out of a bin. The resulting rifles are required to be safe, functional and ready to be issued to a soldier. A tiny minority escaped this process and are as originally made with the original parts. Those original configuration rifles would be exceptionally valuable. Where I have a problem involves swapping parts out on an overhauled rifle to make it "correct", including bolts and barrels. The result might appeal to collectors but may have headspace and functional issues, with potential safety risks. I personally would consider one of these rifles to be less valuable then the original mixmaster.

Another issue I have is with some folks who advised owners of CMP sold rifles with new wood to replace it with "GI" wood, and even destroy the new stocks. If the new stocks fit properly and result in a functional, accurate and safe rifle, and the owner likes it; I would keep it as is. The CMP wood can be considered part of another overhaul to provide an M1 Garand in the spirit and intent of a serviceable military rifle.
Arguing with someone who denounces reason is like administering medicine to a corpse.

ffuries
United States of America

Re: Something to think about

#2 Post by ffuries » Sun May 06, 2018 2:15 pm

I agree, take a K98k and start swapping parts to make it Arsenal correct and it becomes a humped rifle. Do the same with a M1 Garand and it's concidered normal and acceptable. I have never been able to understand why the difference of opinion on these 2 examples.

Once you swap parts around it's no longer in its last original military configuration. But to each their own, and it's their gun to do with as they wish. Regardless of whether we agree with it or not.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

Cattus Borealis
United States of America

#3 Post by Cattus Borealis » Sun May 06, 2018 4:21 pm

There is quite a difference between people that shoot guns and those that just collect. Sometimes these categories interesect. I personally care more about the shooting part.

Hippycrowe
United States of America

#4 Post by Hippycrowe » Sun May 06, 2018 11:19 pm

It is like a classic car you may find one with all original parts and even original gas from the factory nice but it won't run real well lol. I would rather have a shooter than an all correct rifle that has worn parts.

VMASCIOP2000
United States of America

#5 Post by VMASCIOP2000 » Tue May 08, 2018 8:29 am

As a shooter first and a collector second I agree with this entire thread. Good points all.
I was R.L.E.V.M. on our old forum.

ffuries
United States of America

#6 Post by ffuries » Tue May 08, 2018 2:58 pm

Don't get me wrong most of mine, save one or two, are shooters. If a part breaks, then I will replace the broken part and retain the broken part (Bagged and labeled). But I don't take a rifle, and swap out parts to make it arsenal and period correct. First off it can get costly, second it doesn't really do much to increase price.

Bad part is after someone "Corrects" a rifle, then passes on, it ends up being passed off later as factory original at some point.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

Smokey
United States of America

#7 Post by Smokey » Tue May 08, 2018 5:46 pm

The worst part is, when you start swapping bolts and/or barrels, headspace goes out the window.
Your options are:
Excess headspace and a ruptured case, with the stock blown (plus a few more things).
inadequate headspace, with a slamfire out of battery and a blown rifle.
If you're lucky it might be safe.
Plus:
The overhauled rifle was supposed to meet a minimum level of accuracy (besides being safe).
No telling what you'll wind up with someone's reject barrel.
Arguing with someone who denounces reason is like administering medicine to a corpse.

ffuries
United States of America

#8 Post by ffuries » Tue May 08, 2018 9:22 pm

Smokey wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 5:46 pm
The worst part is, when you start swapping bolts and/or barrels, headspace goes out the window.
Your options are:
Excess headspace and a ruptured case, with the stock blown (plus a few more things).
inadequate headspace, with a slamfire out of battery and a blown rifle.
If you're lucky it might be safe.
Plus:
The overhauled rifle was supposed to meet a minimum level of accuracy (besides being safe).
No telling what you'll wind up with someone's reject barrel.
True with some extremely valid points. Some people, read garage gun smith's, are very capable and setup to do a barrel swap, but then some aren't. My face might not be perfect, but I'm fond of it and attached to it, so I don't just trust anyone. Bad thing is, it's getting harder to find real gun smith's that are reputable and local.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

dogboysdad
United States of America

#9 Post by dogboysdad » Tue May 08, 2018 10:28 pm

It’s your rifle. Do with it what you will. Swap parts, stamp cartouches on the stock, re-park it, swap parts, cut the barrel down into a tanker, or mill it into a BM59. Don’t forget to check headspace.

Return to “M1 Garand”