Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Reduced Garand Load

Smokey
United States of America

Reduced Garand Load

#1 Post by Smokey » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:43 pm

Thought I'd try a reduced load with Accurate 5744 and the surplus 147gr FMJBT. I loaded 8 with a charge that would run about 2400 fps. The powder generally burns pretty consistently with a lot of empty space. It shot fairly well, but to my surprise it cycled the rifle. All 8 rounds fed, ejected and cleared the empty clip. I expected a load that mild would short cycle the rifle. The empties were pretty much ejected to the side and were caught by a tarp I hang for the purpose (I shoot in the woods). Without the tarp the empties would be gone forever into the underbrush.

With full-powered loads all but the last round are thrown forward and slightly to the right, around 1 o'clock. The last is typically thrown closer to 3 o'clock.
Arguing with someone who denounces reason is like administering medicine to a corpse.

musketjon
Uzbekistan

Re: Reduced Garand Load

#2 Post by musketjon » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:04 am

Smokey wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:43 pm

With full-powered loads all but the last round are thrown forward and slightly to the right, around 1 o'clock. The last is typically thrown closer to 3 o'clock.
That is EXACTLY how the eject pattern should be. Your rifle is working perfectly.
Jon

Woody_be
Belgium

#3 Post by Woody_be » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:36 am

How many grains of 5744 did you use?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Smokey
United States of America

#4 Post by Smokey » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:31 pm

Having faced the threat of malicious lawsuits I won't provide the actual charge used.
I am guessing that the much lower port pressure was countered by the longer "pressurization" time from the slower moving bullet.
These kinds of loads are generally not listed in reloading manuals, so I use QuickLoad (with care) to work them up.
Arguing with someone who denounces reason is like administering medicine to a corpse.

ammolab
United States of America

#5 Post by ammolab » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:13 pm

2400fps with accurate 5744 in a 30-06? Sounds like pressure would be excessive with that fast burning powder. And that load is only 300fps slower than M2 ball...not much of a "reduced load".

Smokey
United States of America

#6 Post by Smokey » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:29 am

I got sooty case necks and rounded primers. No signs of pressure problems. Per QuickLoad, pressures would be less than 35,000 psi.
AA5744.jpg

Return to “M1 Garand”