Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Finally got my first Garand!

gabe
United States of America

Finally got my first Garand!

#1 Post by gabe » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:32 pm

Picked up my first Garand at a local gun show a 2 weeks ago :dance:. After watching a million movies/shows and playing video games showing off the Garand, the stars finally aligned and I got one. It's a CMP gun that still had the tags on it. Everything is H&R except the bolt (SA). Worked up some loads and took it out last weekend and had a blast shooting it. It's my first U.S. milsurp. An M1 carbine is next on the list I suppose!
20180212_081628.jpg

steamer
United States of America

Re: Finally got my first Garand!

#2 Post by steamer » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:42 pm

Congrats on your Garand - looks great. :handgestures-thumbup: They are such solid, powerful rifles - you just can't go wrong.

RWS
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#3 Post by RWS » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:54 am

I would agree with Steamer that they are a great rifle, and every rifle collector needs at least one. However, there is one area where you CAN go wrong. Ammo selection.

Now Gabe, you may know all the following info, in which case I apologize for insulting your intelligence, but not everyone is aware. The gas system on the M1 is fixed. The entire system is designed so that the right amount of pressure hits the gas port with the right weight bullet and the right quantity of a powder with the correct burn rate. USGI M2 ball is a combination of a military grade case, a 150 grain flat-based spitzer bullet, and 49.0 grains of IMR-4895 powder. If you use this combination then you are almost guaranteed to have no problems.

I watched a guy at the range once who was shooting his M1 using some hot 125 grain ammo in commercial cases and he bent his op rod. Jerry Kuhnhausen, in his excellent shop manual on the M1 & M14 rifles, discusses the ammo issue at length.

Stay close to the USGI formula and you will have no problems. Stray too far and problems can arise. If you reload, then it's a no-brainer. Just use the components mentioned above unless you know 100% that a substitute component will be OK. However, if you DON'T reload then I would recommend using ammo formulated for the M1. Both PRVI and Sellier & Bellot make some, and it is inexpensive relative to many other brands, so for service grade ammo either is a good choice (the PRVI cases are better if you are reloading). Picking up a random box of cheap imported ammo of unknown components is a crap shoot.
https://www.targetsportsusa.com/sellier ... 77539.aspx
https://www.targetsportsusa.com/prvi-pa ... 81494.aspx

Match grade ammo was also made for the M1. The reloading specs for the M118 Match cartridge are Match cases, 173 grain bullet, and 46.0 grains of IMR-4895 powder. Many people prefer to use the Sierra 168 grain HPBT bullet, in which case you can go up one full grain of IMR-4895 (47.0 grains). Both of these match loads are safe for shooting in an M1. Source for both the M118 match and M2 service load data is C.E. Harris, who was the chief reloading/ballistics expert for The American Rifleman several years ago.

If you want super accurate custom or varmint .30-06 loads stay with a bolt gun unless you reload, IMHO. And, I'll say it again... for M1 Garand owners the Kuhnhausen shop manual might be the best $54 you can spend on your rifle.

-Bob

VMASCIOP2000
United States of America

#4 Post by VMASCIOP2000 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:22 am

RWS wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:54 am
I would agree with Steamer that they are a great rifle, and every rifle collector needs at least one. However, there is one area where you CAN go wrong. Ammo selection.

Now Gabe, you may know all the following info, in which case I apologize for insulting your intelligence, but not everyone is aware. The gas system on the M1 is fixed. The entire system is designed so that the right amount of pressure hits the gas port with the right weight bullet and the right quantity of a powder with the correct burn rate. USGI M2 ball is a combination of a military grade case, a 150 grain flat-based spitzer bullet, and 49.0 grains of IMR-4895 powder. If you use this combination then you are almost guaranteed to have no problems.

I watched a guy at the range once who was shooting his M1 using some hot 125 grain ammo in commercial cases and he bent his op rod. Jerry Kuhnhausen, in his excellent shop manual on the M1 & M14 rifles, discusses the ammo issue at length.

Stay close to the USGI formula and you will have no problems. Stray too far and problems can arise. If you reload, then it's a no-brainer. Just use the components mentioned above unless you know 100% that a substitute component will be OK. However, if you DON'T reload then I would recommend using ammo formulated for the M1. Both PRVI and Sellier & Bellot make some, and it is inexpensive relative to many other brands, so for service grade ammo either is a good choice (the PRVI cases are better if you are reloading). Picking up a random box of cheap imported ammo of unknown components is a crap shoot.

Match grade ammo was also made for the M1. The reloading specs for the M72 Match cartridge are Match cases, 173 grain bullet, and 46.0 grains of IMR-4895 powder. Many people prefer to use the Sierra 168 grain HPBT bullet, in which case you can go up one full grain of IMR-4895 (47.0 grains). Both of these match loads are safe for shooting in an M1. Source for both the M72 match and M2 service load data is C.E. Harris, who was the chief reloading/ballistics expert for The American Rifleman several years ago.

If you want super accurate custom or varmint .30-06 loads stay with a bolt gun unless you reload, IMHO. And, I'll say it again... for M1 Garand owners the Kuhnhausen shop manual might be the best $54 you can spend on your rifle.

-Bob
Very helpful info. Thanks for posting.
I was R.L.E.V.M. on our old forum.

rob
United States of America

#5 Post by rob » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:53 am

Congrats on a nice looking Garand. This is just a start, next you will get the carbine then an 03 a 03a3 a 1917 and on and on.

gabe
United States of America

#6 Post by gabe » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:24 am

RWS wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:54 am

Match grade ammo was also made for the M1. The reloading specs for the M72 Match cartridge are Match cases, 173 grain bullet, and 46.0 grains of IMR-4895 powder. Many people prefer to use the Sierra 168 grain HPBT bullet, in which case you can go up one full grain of IMR-4895 (47.0 grains). Both of these match loads are safe for shooting in an M1. Source for both the M72 match and M2 service load data is C.E. Harris, who was the chief reloading/ballistics expert for The American Rifleman several years ago.

-Bob
I knew about the ammo/powder issue before even buying the rifle, but thanks for taking the time to write this up and the manual recommendation! I went with 168 gr. SMK's over 46.0 gr. of Varget. Shot like a champ. Also just to be on the safe side, I picked up a Schuster adjustable gas plug from MidwayUSA (I live 4 hours from them so it usually only takes 2 days to get my order) just to be on the safe side. I didn't really feel like bending an op rod and having to buy a new one.

RWS
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#7 Post by RWS » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:51 am

Again, my apologies for telling you something you already knew, but I think it's nice to know what the gov't duplication loads are. The adjustable gas plug is a good idea as well if you're not a stickler for originality.

-Bob

Ernest T
United States of America

#8 Post by Ernest T » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:55 am

You poor soul! That is a nice looking M1. That is exactly how I started out. Now I've got Garands in each flavor (SA, Winchester, HRA, and IHC), plus one in 308 and a M1D. Now I'm looking for a M1C. We all start out thinking we can resist addiction, but all it takes is one nice one to start you down the dark path. Prepare to test the limits of your credit card, and your wife's patience if you are married. If you get a carbine you better start looking for a second job, cause those things can spark a whole different type of gun addiction. :violin:

gabe
United States of America

#9 Post by gabe » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:41 am

Tell me about it Ernest. It wasn't too hard to justify this first one though. It was paid for by selling the first vehicle I ever owned (1992 Toyota 4runner). Pretty much a straight swap for the Garand. I didn't have to go to the bank to get cash so part of me felt like this one was "free" more or less :lol:

Markeb2800
United States of America

#10 Post by Markeb2800 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:12 am

Congrats! You'll love it. They're a ball to shoot.

Triumph6
United States of America

#11 Post by Triumph6 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:09 am

Congrats! On your new rifle. "It felt like it was free" , sounds like my wife buying something on sale and saying she saved money and a sure sign of the start of an addiction. I'll bet you had a huge involuntary grin the first time you pulled the trigger.

gabe
United States of America

#12 Post by gabe » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:34 pm

It definitely was a blast! It wasn't too hard to talk my other half into letting me get an "investment grade toy" :lol:

Hippycrowe
United States of America

#13 Post by Hippycrowe » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:06 pm

Have you got Garand thumb yet

gabe
United States of America

#14 Post by gabe » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:49 am

Nope no Garand thumb yet. I was smart enough to load it the "GI way"

redeagle
United States of America

#15 Post by redeagle » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:43 pm

Enjoy it. Every american collector should have one. Its a classic and fun to shoot. Great advice about not using regular 30-06. The adjustable plug is a nice to have too.
Its an easy round for reloading and I think the CMP still sells a bunch of M2 ball spec ammo at decent prices.

Return to “M1 Garand”