Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Numbered Parts

CamaroDMD
United States of America

Numbered Parts

#1 Post by CamaroDMD » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:49 pm

I'm going to do a complete takedown of my M1 over the next few days as it's due for a good cleaning and oiling/greasing. I bought the gun about 10 years ago and I suspect it originally came as a lower grade CMP gun. Since it's apart, I'd like to document all the numbered parts and see how mis-matched it truly is (never hurts to know). I know it's not a matching gun...but I'd love to have it thoroughly documented (I did the same thing for my Luger...which outside of the grips is made from two guns).

Does anyone here have a list of what parts on the M1 are numbered? It will save me a little time searching. Thanks.

M14man
United States of America

Re: Numbered Parts

#2 Post by M14man » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:07 pm

Only the receiver is numbered. Any other numbers are part numbers and you need an in-depth book that will give you want numbers belong in the era of the rifle manufacture. As for parts numbering to the gun serial....no. There were 4 makers of Garands, so one can often see their Garand has mixed manufacturers parts.

RWS
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#3 Post by RWS » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:52 am

I agree with M14man; get some books.

Bruce Canfield does good reference books on the Garand and M1 carbines, in my opinion. Here's one that will only set you back about $40, less if you get a used copy.

-Bob

72 usmc
United States of America

#4 Post by 72 usmc » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:48 pm

For a book on the correct parts and identification of parts, I would suggest: Collecting the Garand II by JC Harrison second printing is 2003, a dated PB book that might be hard to find and will have some errors due to new research . It was $35 back in 2003. This book is pages of correct parts listings for the rifle maker, the specific serial number range, and the manufacturing month. You need these three attributes to get the correct parts list in the book. It has 197 pages. It has tons of B&W line drawings to id the many different production parts. I can not just copy the correct pages because each part is referenced to about 30 pages of line drawings so you can id the correct variation of each part. You really need the entire book so maybe buy it or get it Interlibrary loan. The problem at Universities they give you dirty looks when they have to search out a gun reference book and pay to get it even if you are faculty. Best done at a local town library. see an ABE book search: https://www.abebooks.com/book-search/ti ... rison-j-c/

Also a great book is The M1 GARAND RIFLE by Bruce N Canfield 2013, FANTASTIC 872 pages and a pleasure to read, HC and you can get it at Mowbray Publishing, a favorite place to spend money on books. $80 bucks and worth every penny. opps price has gone up already $95
Canfields book is here https://gunandswordcollector.com/produc ... and-rifle/

https://gunandswordcollector.com/produc ... ory/books/

Lots of nice books and you might enjoy GUN COLLECTOR magazine, Check it out.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

M14man
United States of America

#5 Post by M14man » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:23 pm

A book will just show you how un-original and mixed it is!

RWS
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#6 Post by RWS » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:14 am

Which is exactly the information you would need to be able to pass on a specimen you might otherwise enthusiastically jump on, especially if it happened to look good. Conversely, it can also confirm the correctness of a given firearm. Eventually, if one gets enough information embedded in their long-term memory they can pass the book along to a deserving newbie.

As the old adage goes, "Ignorance can be fixed; stupid is forever". Just my 2 cents worth...

-Bob

RWS
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#7 Post by RWS » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:22 am

opps price has gone up already $95
Yep, that's why I suggested Canfield's cheaper version that still has lotsa info and covers M1 carbines as well. My personal opinion is that the one I recommended is the best one available for $40, which (in my experience) is about as high as people just getting into the book thing are willing to spend initially.

-Bob

Smokey
United States of America

#8 Post by Smokey » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:47 pm

If the rifle has the original barrel, it probably has the original bolt; otherwise, the rifle is an assortment of inspected, in-spec parts drawn at random from bins.
I figure that's part of it's history; one or more refurbishment cycles where it's disassembled, then a new rifle is built up with randomly selected parts from multiple manufacturers. I'm working with one that's a tack-driver with a 1947 SA barrel, and IHC bolt, and a Springfield Armory receiver that dates to June, 1943. I see it as a new rifle that took form in it's most recent rebuild, with perfectly good new and used parts. The owner sees it that way as well.
Arguing with someone who denounces reason is like administering medicine to a corpse.

dogboysdad
United States of America

#9 Post by dogboysdad » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:54 am

Nobody likes Scott Duff’s books?

ffuries
United States of America

#10 Post by ffuries » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:20 pm

I'm a weirdo I guess, but I prefer them as they came out of military service, IE mismatched. Sure one that is true FACTORY ORIGINAL would be cool, but it wouldn't have much of a story/history to me. There are those that will hunt for the correct parts to make it original, but to me it becomes a messed with rifle.

That said a person has the right to do what they want with their rifle, and everyone is entitled to their opinion without being bashed, regardless if we agree or don't agree with it.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

Return to “M1 Garand”