Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

M1 Garand Loading Question

CamaroDMD
United States of America

M1 Garand Loading Question

#1 Post by CamaroDMD » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:25 pm

I purchased an M1 Garand about 10 years ago from a local gunshop who had it on consignment. It is a 1945 SA rifle with a slightly pitted bore...but overall a good shooter. I have always suspected it was a lower grade CMP rifle. I have enjoyed shooting it immensely since I purchased it and it is one of my favorite rifles. At the time, I picked up a couple cases of M2 ball Green Surplus 30.06 preloaded in enblocs. I still have some of that ammo (I have used it sparingly) and I have a question about the process of loading the rifle.

As I understand it, to properly load an M1 Garand with an enloc, one pulls back the bolt until it locks. Then the clip is inserted and pressed downward until it clicks. At this point, the bolt is designed to move forward about 1/4 inch and stop. The operator than pulls his hand out of the way and closes the bolt using the charging handle. On my rifle, the bolt doesn't tend to stop. It moves all the way forward once the enlock clicks into place. Now, I have never had it smash my thumb...so my guess is its movement forward is slowed. I suspect whatever is supposed to stop the bolt after 1/4 inch is worn to the point where it no longer stops the bolt but it does inhibit it enough to not cause an injury.

I assume there is some part that I need to change to make this functional again. How do I inspect the rifle to figure out which part to change. I assume this is a common problem...but I don't know what to do.

professrh
United States of America

Re: M1 Garand Loading Question

#2 Post by professrh » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:16 pm

I'm no expert, but from your description it doesn't immediately strike me that the rifle has a problem. If you use the "knife edge" of your right hand to brace the op rod handle while you push the clip home with your right thumb, you'll protect yourself from Garand Thumb, whether the bolt wants to hang up or slam home as soon as the clip is seated. Think of it as "defense in depth."

Here's a video I've found quite usefu and instructivel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GdTKm4eBAs

Good luck, and enjoy your rifle!

--Prof

M14man
United States of America

#3 Post by M14man » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:00 pm

Not a rifle problem! Your entire process is correct! Your final summation incorrect. Once you pull the bolt back, a TIGHT grabbing clip will hold the bolt back as the bolt face meets the cartridge. Then one usually heels the op-rod gently stripping the cartridge from the clip. One should roll the hand away once the thumb pushes the clip deep. The heel of the hand is supposed to be in place to stop the bolt from catching the thumb when there is a light grabbing clip as you describe. There is NO part that is supposed to hold the bolt like you surmise other than the part that locks the bolt back completely.

CamaroDMD
United States of America

#4 Post by CamaroDMD » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:08 pm

OK...that makes sense. Thanks!

Return to “M1 Garand”