Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Different front sight heights?

Smokey
United States of America

Different front sight heights?

#1 Post by Smokey » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:26 pm

I'm working with someone's Garand now. Tuned it to shoot nearly minute of angle, but it shoots some six inches above point of aim. Always shot high for some reason. This with the rear sight run all the way down. I have the stock fitted so the barrel assembly gets a little downward pull at the fore-end. It made no difference. I'm not a professional gunsmith, so I'm not afraid to ask. Better to be humble and learn than mess up pretending I know something. Any suggestions from the more knowledgeable?
Arguing with someone who denounces reason is like administering medicine to a corpse.

RWS
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: Different front sight heights?

#2 Post by RWS » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:59 am

Is the rear sight hooded? I'm gonna guess it is.

It is commonly reported that hooded sights shoot high with Garands. As far as I know, no "high" front sight blades exist. The rear sight has to be lowered and that usually means going back to a non-hooded sight to get POI to coincide with POA.

Some people claim you can grind the last two teeth off a hooded sight rack and make it work but there are mixed reviews about how well that works.

-Bob

Smokey
United States of America

#3 Post by Smokey » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:51 pm

This is a straight military configuration Garand. Standard sights, no special match sights.
I can try building up the front sight with a squared off section of metal and crazy glue, or something to hold it in place.
Don't want to try soldering it in place.
Arguing with someone who denounces reason is like administering medicine to a corpse.

M14man
United States of America

#4 Post by M14man » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:51 pm

You only have to raise it about .05"...1/20th
I'd go with JB weld because you could peel it off if desired.

Ghoulardi
Ukraine

#5 Post by Ghoulardi » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:06 am

Smokey wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:26 pm
but it shoots some six inches above point of aim. Always shot high for some reason.
if it always shot high before you got it, and he couldn't adjust it out with the rear sight, then it is possible that whoever owned that Garand before him might have filed down the front sight post.

now, I don't know how high the front sight on a Garand is suppose to be. but, if you can find another Garand that shoots POA, measure the height of that post and compare that to the height of his. if it is shorter, then he will need a new front sight
COOL IT WITH THE BOOM-BOOMS!! OVA-DAY!!

Smokey
United States of America

#6 Post by Smokey » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:12 pm

You only have to raise it about .05"...1/20th
I'd go with JB weld because you could peel it off if desired.

I like that, and it's easily reversible if needed. I'll try it and report back.

Smokey
United States of America

#7 Post by Smokey » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:13 pm

J&B weld sets to more of a rubbery state than a hard epoxy. I did try it, got the rifle closer to point of aim; but the shock, heat and vibration got the stuff loose.
Guess the owner will have to get used to a 260 yard zero. I may try removing the rear sight and relieving the bottom so it can be lowered more. I really don't want to mess with it though.

M14man
United States of America

#8 Post by M14man » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:23 pm

My tube of JB weld gets rock hard and if the surface is prepared well and clean, sticks good.
Don't give up

Smokey
United States of America

#9 Post by Smokey » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:23 pm

I filed a section from a sheetrock nail to the width of the front sight, and about 0.070 thick. It's attached with "Crazy Glue". We'll see how long that lasts. At least it's now hitting a little below the point of aim. Will do some careful filing to walk it up.

Smokey
United States of America

J&B Weld

#10 Post by Smokey » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:38 pm

M14man, I followed the instructions. The front sight was first carefully cleaned to remove all oil and grease.
I mixed equal amounts from the two tubes and applied a bead to the top of the front sight.
The rifle was hung upside down so the mix stayed on the top of the sight.
What did I do wrong?

M14man
United States of America

#11 Post by M14man » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:21 pm

Maybe the stuff was old. In it's advertisements, it gets hard enough to file and tap, and the stuff I have used gets rock hard too.

VMASCIOP2000
United States of America

#12 Post by VMASCIOP2000 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:21 am

J&B weld should not cure to "rubbery" . The quick weld type should still set up 24 hours before being touched. The standard J&B becomes even harder but I let it set ,untouched, for 48 hours. I let the product run down over the sight blade a bit then flip it upside down,so it will hold better. I've used it on Mausers and Mosins and it has never come loose. Where you mix the two ingredients together is also important . A non-porous surface that has been degreased, ( a jar lid cleaned with denatured alcohol for example ).
I was R.L.E.V.M. on our old forum.

S.B.
United States of America

#13 Post by S.B. » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:22 pm

Most stock M1s I encountered had to have the rear sight raised about 8 clicks to be on target(straight from DCM/CMP), maybe something mechanical? Have you disassembled it, to check everything inside? No file marks on the front sight?
Steve

Return to “M1 Garand”