Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Serial number and barrel date

Smokey
United States of America

Serial number and barrel date

#1 Post by Smokey » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:47 pm

I just examined an M1 with a barrel dated March 1943. The serial number for the rifle puts it in the June 1943.
Would the barrels be dated BEFORE they are installed on the rifle?
Arguing with someone who denounces reason is like administering medicine to a corpse.

M14man
United States of America

Re: Serial number and barrel date

#2 Post by M14man » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:07 pm

Most definitely! Barrels made, stored in bins, and then installed to receivers as they are made ready.

RWS
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#3 Post by RWS » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:52 am

Yep, fairly common. Someone, maybe Bruce Canfield, pointed out that M1 barrel production slightly outstripped receiver production so as long as the barrel date is not waaay earlier than the receiver date then no cause for concern and probably is more common than the other way around.

Some people become concerned when they find something like a M1 that has a receiver that dates to 1944 but sports a 1943 barrel. However, if, for example the barrel date is November of 1943 and the receiver dates to January or February of 1944 then there is nothing to be concerned about. Just turning the corner on a new year, thass all.

-Bob

Locofritz
United States of America

#4 Post by Locofritz » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:16 am

3 to 4 month difference is not a deal breaker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smokey
United States of America

#5 Post by Smokey » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:04 pm

The barrels were made separately from the receivers, and were dated when they were made. They were then stored for rifle production, and essentially taken at random and mounted to receivers. This was explained to me when I noticed a mismatch between the barrel date and when the receiver was made (per the serial #).
Arguing with someone who denounces reason is like administering medicine to a corpse.

Ghoulardi
Ukraine

#6 Post by Ghoulardi » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:58 pm

I have a HRA Garand where the receiver is made in Feb 1954 (coming up on it's 64th birthday). but the barrel, also made by HRA, is stamped /-54.

which I'm figuring it's 7-54 (july 1954), the 7 wasn't a solid strike. could be a lot of wartime barrel were made before the receivers, but that doesn't hold water for all Garands or should used as a rule of thumb to always go by.
COOL IT WITH THE BOOM-BOOMS!! OVA-DAY!!

EdHoffer
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
United States of America

#7 Post by EdHoffer » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:36 pm

Ghoulardi wrote:I have a HRA Garand where the receiver is made in Feb 1954 (coming up on it's 64th birthday). but the barrel, also made by HRA, is stamped /-54.

which I'm figuring it's 7-54 (july 1954), the 7 wasn't a solid strike. could be a lot of wartime barrel were made before the receivers, but that doesn't hold water for all Garands or should used as a rule of thumb to always go by.
I am not an expert on Grands even though I own a few. You are talking about a post Korea War Grand and I do not know if they had different systems in place after World War II was over and done with. So you might want to check your information. Thank you for your service.

Most of my reference books are buried, I wonder is someone's available. Thatcher's book is the grail, but do not remember what period he stopped.

For my 2 cents, yr of manufacture is pretty good, as it wind down piece to hostilities, other few months prior to receiver fits well in how US companies did business.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

Return to “M1 Garand”