Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

PALADIN PUBLISHING is going belly up! My books will go out of circulation/print...

jimthompson502002
United States of America

PALADIN PUBLISHING is going belly up! My books will go out of circulation/print...

#1 Post by jimthompson502002 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:42 am

After almost two decades, six major revisions and countless small ones, my M1 Garand books are going out of print. Not due to lack of sales. They'd performed pretty well since 1998 and 2001, their technical release dates.

Paladin Publishing is going "belly up", ceasing business entirely 1/1/2018, becoming effectively inert at the end of November.

My volumes? They're not industrial histories. They're PRACTICAL histories. They were written, in fact, to avoid much overlap with the factory-based industrial works, and address what's actually around and to be encountered.

THE COMPLETE M1 GARAND was "complete" in that it, for the very first time, included collecting and shooting all the rifles, commercial and Italian as well, reloading for them, and keeping them running, in addition to analyzing artifacts. They were the first to discuss and show the Italian rifles. THE CLASSIC M1 GARAND came three years later, containing updated material that was intended to be in the original, rather large single volume.

I've secure a small supply to service those who are interested with signed copies, but of course, those are almost gone.

I am going to try to locate another publisher.

One thing I want to do if that can be done is get a better electronic version of the book generated. The old one was apparently awkwardly set up and based upon a very primitive version of the book.

People say much of the collapse of publishing is due to the Internet, and that's surely partially correct. It's probably also due to diminishing literacy skills. Publishers, too, have become less creative.

In the case of my particular volumes, some also say--and I am not sure I fully agree!--that overall interest in the old wood and steel rifles diminishes as older citizens die off.

Diagnosis or prognosis aside, I'd still like to locate a new and preferably larger publisher.

Any ideas?
Attachments
cover 2.jpg
cover 1.jpg
cover 1.jpg (101.86 KiB) Viewed 473 times
Paladin demise very small.jpg

Zeliard
United States of America

Re: PALADIN PUBLISHING is going belly up! My books will go out of circulation/print...

#2 Post by Zeliard » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:02 pm

You could try publishing on Amazon. Never been through that process myself, however.
Proud alumni of Transylvanian Polygnostic University. "Know enough to be afraid."

"Vertroue in God en die Mauser".-Faith in God and the Mauser.

"Send lawyers, guns and money." -Warren Zevon

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: PALADIN PUBLISHING is going belly up! My books will go out of circulation/print...

#3 Post by Rapidrob » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:20 pm

Contact the parent company that publishes RIFLE magazine and RELOADING Magazine. They may be interested or steer you in the right direction.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

jimthompson502002
United States of America

#4 Post by jimthompson502002 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:47 pm

By the way, I do have a few available. Can't run a "sale" ad on here.

Had to expunge my old account (hackers!!) and this is MY ONLY POST on here under the new one.

jimthompson502002
United States of America

#5 Post by jimthompson502002 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:42 am

Well, everything is gone. Paladin is out, what few I had are spoken for or gone.

Good news: I may have a new publisher, this time in New York, and can perhaps do a much-improved version.

jimthompson502002
United States of America

#6 Post by jimthompson502002 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:04 pm

MG book A.jpg
Indeed, my other, earlier volume is probably going to see an upgrade/revision/correction, too!!
MG book A.jpg
Attachments
MG book B.jpg

jimthompson502002
United States of America

#7 Post by jimthompson502002 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:51 pm

Well, it looks as if all three books will re-enter the arena, soon, with a real New York publisher. Paladin officially ceases to exist before Monday next, and none of the major suppliers have the M1 volumes.

Ostensibly, the M1 books will be re-combined into a single volume, one which could be entitled "THE PRACTICAL M1 GARAND--an examination of the real historical rifles and their histories in the real world". That just might eliminate all the muddy waters and confusion of my missives with the industrial histories, which is what I set out to do in 1994 or so when these were first circulating to publishers.

Way back then, now over 20 years ago, the last thing I wanted to do was another tired, old "this part entered service in January of 1944" compendium. Industrial histories are laudable, necessary, important, and all much, much more. But there are so many, and my intention was to avoid both the glories and the pitfalls and provide something for the working rifle user and admirer, as well as the collector, reloader, and cosmopolitan-interest observer, especially to include the Italian permutations and spinoffs.

A re-edit with new photography of the MACHINE GUN book would probably be called the PRACTICAL, TACTICAL AND PICTORIAL HISTORY OF THE MACHINE GUN, and it'd be along later because that 1989 volume and revisions required a lot of re-doing, which is finally done.

Also: The e-books, from which I never realized a thin dime in royalties, and the overseas editions of both, from which I likewise never saw any income, will be re-done and included in the contract. What little I saw of the M1 versions was so garbled, I couldn't even follow.

Interestingly, some of the caption garbles, I noticed, were FINALLY tweaked in the last printed version of the missives I saw.

Return to “M1 Garand”