Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Good M1 video

Hippycrowe
United States of America

Good M1 video

#1 Post by Hippycrowe » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:40 pm

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=o2idYNKWGm4

I have to admit you sure can reload a Garand fast

Smokey
United States of America

Re: Good M1 video

#2 Post by Smokey » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:45 pm

That video pretty much dispelled all the so-called flaws associated with the M1. The "enemy hearing the ping" being the most absurd. With all the racket of rifles being fired the enemy won't hear it. This was verified by interviews of German soldiers after the war. It is a good signal to the shooter to reload. And yes, when someone is proficient, reloading can be done from "ping" to back to the shoulder in 3-4 seconds.
If the rifle is properly greased (almost every moving surface) and with a good return spring, it will chamber the top round as soon as you get the clip latched in. Usually a small nudge gets it started and NO!! your thumb will not get smashed when loading it. That's more likely when you close the bolt on an empty magazine..
Arguing with someone who denounces reason is like administering medicine to a corpse.

Hippycrowe
United States of America

#3 Post by Hippycrowe » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:01 pm

The M1 is as perfect as a rifle designed in the 1930s can be.A mag would have been better but when you think of it in a bolt action world a fast loading clip is a big advantage.

Smokey
United States of America

#4 Post by Smokey » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:57 am

Probably the biggest delay in reloading is getting an enblock in your fingers ready to press it into the rifle. The US GI 10-pocket belt is probably still the best for reloading from. Bandoliers really are a PIB to work with, and are best for refilling the belt when time permits.

Folks would be surprised to know that a flintlock musket could be reloaded and fired in around ten seconds. The percussion musket took longer, mainly from fumbling a cap out of a pouch.
Arguing with someone who denounces reason is like administering medicine to a corpse.

Ghoulardi
Ukraine

#5 Post by Ghoulardi » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:40 pm

Smokey wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:57 am
Folks would be surprised to know that a flintlock musket could be reloaded and fired in around ten seconds. .
I suppose it can be done with a lot of practice and no one is shooting at you. now, let me line up a bunch of people opposite of you and have them shooting at you, while you are standing there, don't believe that you would be able to load it in 10 seconds
COOL IT WITH THE BOOM-BOOMS!! OVA-DAY!!

Smokey
United States of America

#6 Post by Smokey » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:33 pm

At the time troops were constantly drilled and trained in the loading process so it became automatic. Veteran troops could maintain a remarkable rate of fire on the battlefield.

Return to “M1 Garand”