Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Yugo SKS 59/66 A1 Cleaning Rod

Spavac
United States of America

Yugo SKS 59/66 A1 Cleaning Rod

#1 Post by Spavac » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:38 pm

Getting back in the game (somewhat) and have been lurking here and on the SKSBoards site. There seems to be a bit more traffic here (since re-animation) than on the other (SKSBorads) RE: Yugo SKS rifles. My issue that stimulated this post is the cleaning rod and kit on my Yugo SKS. It came with the rifle along with all of the other accessories (ammo pouch, oiler w pouch, in-stock cleaning kit etc). Not everything was in the "new, unissued" condition that many take great pleasure in bragging about :dance: but I was, at least, assuming that they were all what were intended to be part of the original issue ensemble.

The cleaning rod is stored under the barrel and held in place by the bayonet mechanism and allows for removal when the blade is perpendicular to the barrel.
I have a few issues with the cleaning rod on this rifle. I don't know if the rod is supposed to thread into anything in the fore end of the stock? Mine does not seem to do so. I'm a bit bothered by that fact that the cleaning rod rattles around in its holding mechanism. Everything else is tight on this rifle and I don't think that this rattling issue is true to form. I've placed a small (3/8ths") piece of rubber tubing on the rod in between the loose end points. It fits between the bottom of the gas valve band and the bayonet blade (when closed) and prevents any rattling :idea: .

Probably the issue that puzzles me most is the fact that the included cleaning rod is NO WAY long enough to clean the barrel on a Yugo SKS 59/66 A1 :shock: !!! The rod itself has an overall length of just under 40 cm (just over 15"). The barrel measures jut over 60 cm (~24") from the breech face to the end of the muzzle/grenade launcher. I was always taught to NEVER reverse direction in the middle of the barrel when cleaning with a cleaning rod. What's the deal here? I'm I missing something? Is the rod just for show? A post/reply that I've read recently mentioned that the Yugoslavian Army highly discouraged :naughty: the use of a cleaning rod with the Yugo SKS rifles.The jag and the brush in the cleaning kit both thread on to the cleaning rod tho.

My accessory ensemble did include what I'm assuming is a pull through cord. It's weighted on both ends though with non-ferrous metal of some kind. Overall length of about 2.8m (110") with a loop arrangement in the middle to hold a piece of cleaning cloth.

None of these things are major issues as we can all use modern commercial supplies to clean these rifles. I just wanted to know if anyone else had questioned these seemingly incongruous bits and pieces.
Spavac

Charles Lipscomb
United States of America

Re: Yugo SKS 59/66 A1 Cleaning Rod

#2 Post by Charles Lipscomb » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:52 pm

You got lucky as mine came with one too long to stay in the slot. Turns out it was for a Russian m44 or at least that's where it resides now. So that saved me money buying one for it.
As to length there really was no way to make one long enough to fin under the grenade launcher. There may well have been an additional length of rod to make up the difference. The Russians put a section in their Mosin m91 cleaning kits.
I have a little trouble using rods on rifles so I use an East German AK 47 cleaning kit, chamber to muzzle being careful to not drag th cord on the muzzle.
A modern bore snake by hoppes would be even better but I am cheap and don't shoot as much as I would like.
" The beatings will continue until morale improves."
Management

Dannyboy53
United States of America

#3 Post by Dannyboy53 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:28 pm

I never use the cleaning rods in any of my SKS carbines (Yugo, Chinese & Russian), they are more trouble than what its worth to assemble!
"If the general government should persist in the measures now threatened, there must be war."
General Thomas 'Stonewall' Jackson

Charles Lipscomb
United States of America

#4 Post by Charles Lipscomb » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:16 pm

Dannyboy53 wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:28 pm
I never use the cleaning rods in any of my SKS carbines (Yugo, Chinese & Russian), they are more trouble than what its worth to assemble!
For me , it's more about having all the accesories. When i clesn my ,30 cal rifles, wether commie or USGI i use an East German ak 47 cleaning kit.
In fact i have three now as i added a spare in january.
Rods are hard to use in bed on your back. Pull throughs are easy, just have to keel the cord from rubbing the muzzle.
" The beatings will continue until morale improves."
Management

Dannyboy53
United States of America

#5 Post by Dannyboy53 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:18 pm

Charles Lipscomb wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:16 pm
For me , it's more about having all the accessories.

I can understand that Charles....we have rods in all of our SKS carbines even though we don't use them. There is a cleaning kit in the butt of each of them also.
I have a Swedish M96 Mauser and the cleaning rod is too short for it also but an extension was made for them that screws onto the rod. One would think the makers of the various SKS carbines would have done the same!
"If the general government should persist in the measures now threatened, there must be war."

Zeliard
United States of America

#6 Post by Zeliard » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:29 am

Model 59/66 (15.5") cleaning rods are meant to be used in conjunction with another soldier's, they thread together. Model 59 (17") cleaning rods don't use the buddy system, but are too short for the 59/66. They eventually abandoned the idea and went with pull throughs.
Proud alumni of Transylvanian Polygnostic University. "Know enough to be afraid."

"Vertroue in God en die Mauser".-Faith in God and the Mauser.

"Send lawyers, guns and money." -Warren Zevon

Dannyboy53
United States of America

#7 Post by Dannyboy53 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:40 pm

Zeliard it makes no sense to me why the Yugoslavians/Serbians even bothered to make cleaning rods!! We never use them anyway but use our commercial rods.

I thank you for that info, it's sort of like what the Swedish Army did with the cleaning rods for their M96 rifles. They had a 4-6 inch extension that screwed into the rod to be able to clean the 29 inch bore.

roverboy
United States of America

#8 Post by roverboy » Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:55 pm

The SKS I had years ago had a cleaning rod that was snug but, I never used it. I cleaned the hard way. Not often but, cleaned anyway. I took the receiver, bolt, gas port apart and cleaned from breech. The old man I bought it from had penciled in all kinds of notes in the owners manual.

Dannyboy53
United States of America

#9 Post by Dannyboy53 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:35 pm

roverboy wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:55 pm
The SKS I had years ago had a cleaning rod that was snug but, I never used it. I cleaned the hard way. Not often but, cleaned anyway. I took the receiver, bolt, gas port apart and cleaned from breech. The old man I bought it from had penciled in all kinds of notes in the owners manual.
:handgestures-thumbup:

Return to “SKS Carbines”