Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Chinese [0306] Arsenal SKS

Dannyboy53
United States of America

Chinese [0306] Arsenal SKS

#1 Post by Dannyboy53 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:03 am

My wife's Chinese [0306] arsenal SKS has a pressed and pinned barrel and it's the most accurate of our three SKS carbines. She picked this one up at a gun shop at Heber Springs, Arkansas about 6 or 7 years ago. She has about eight Tapco 20 round stocks and prefers them, of course she has the original 10 rd fixed magazine in storage. It's been modified to insert/drop magazines with the bolt closed but she usually loads the mags with a stripper clip. The rear of the feed lips had to be trimmed and lightly sanded some to enable loading this way but they work great now. She has been fortunate from what we hear as she has no feeding problems with them as others have reported, she goes through the 20 rounds like the wind through a screen door!

It's all matching, even the stock. The metal is excellent and the bore looks great with sharp lands/grooves. I grudgingly admit that out to 100 yards it shoots tighter groups than my Russian and does at least as good as the M59/66!

She wanted a red dot sight. I was going to order a cheek rest for her but she decided she didn't want to use it any longer so she took it off!
"If the general government should persist in the measures now threatened, there must be war."
General Thomas 'Stonewall' Jackson

Danh4
United States of America

Re: Chinese [0306] Arsenal SKS

#2 Post by Danh4 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:38 pm

I'm curious about her red dot sight- what mount did you use, and did it hold zero very well? What made her want to remove it? I've been thinking about adding a red dot sight to mine just for the fun of it, would love to hear your experiences.

-Dan

Dannyboy53
United States of America

#3 Post by Dannyboy53 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:03 am

Danh4 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:38 pm
I'm curious about her red dot sight- what mount did you use, and did it hold zero very well? What made her want to remove it? I've been thinking about adding a red dot sight to mine just for the fun of it, would love to hear your experiences.

-Dan
Dan I apologize for taking so long to answer, I did not have notifications activated apparently. She used a receiver cover that had the mount fixed on it (I don't know what it's called!) She did have to zero the carbine each time it was removed for cleaning and that was her primary reason for removing it. Were it not for that she would probably have left it on the carbine because she liked it!
"If the general government should persist in the measures now threatened, there must be war."

Ghoulardi
Ukraine

#4 Post by Ghoulardi » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:56 am

yeah, the only way to mount a scope/red dot on the SKS where it will be still maintain zero for each range trip, is either put a scope rail on the side of receiver itself, which I don't believe those are available any longer. or replacing the rear sight with a "scout mount" rail. those are only 2 places on the rifle that the scope mount will be rock steady and will not lose it's zero when you take off and put on the scope.

ages ago I bought the "cowboy companion" with the factory install scope rail on the side, I never needed to re-zero the scope for every range visit. where the rounds hit last range session, still hit the same way for subsequently ones.

you will need to buy a long eye relief magnify scope that is for a pistol or a red dot

ImageImage
COOL IT WITH THE BOOM-BOOMS!! OVA-DAY!!

Ghoulardi
Ukraine

#5 Post by Ghoulardi » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:21 pm

just a update, if the Dans are still around, I was mistaken when I stated I don't believe the scope rail and mount were no longer available. I was searching for something else and came by this, they still are available

https://www.accumounts.com/sks.html

if I was going to mount a scope on a SKS, this is the way I would go. this will definitely keep your scope zeroed on every range trip

echo1
United States of America

#6 Post by echo1 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:49 am

With everything matching from that arsenal, I wouldn't try any scope mounting that would mar the finish on your wife's rig. I'd get another, uglier SKS, and turn the Khyber Pass boys loose on it. Fugly, mishmatched SKSs can still shoot good.

I've always liked apertures and I've got SKS iron sighted with P50, Mojo, Williams, and Tech sites, on various length barrels and stocks types. They all work well to get a good sight picture and fast acquisition, when combined just right. Took a bit of figgurin, they're GTG now. The Tech sights require a slight reversible permanent fix.

I'm just completing the beta mock-up for a Shernic. Barrel cut and 30.5" OAL adjusted with a brake, Red Dot with BUIS, finned gas tube. I'm thinking of a laser on an under rail too.

I also have a Kengs Para with the rail modded to accept the T89 mount. I put the 2.5 Red Star aside and used a Leapers fixed 4X32. I also took it out of the numbers matching furniture, and dropped it into a Choate Drag with cheek riser. It didn't hurt my feelings to notch the Drag, to accommodate the side mount scope. Great cheek weld for the scope. Works. PAX

DaleH
United States of America

#7 Post by DaleH » Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:28 am

Not a collector, but a shooter, but my Norinco is darn accurate too!

Nice piece you have there!

Ghoulardi
Ukraine

#8 Post by Ghoulardi » Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:07 pm

echo1 wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:49 am
I wouldn't try any scope mounting that would mar the finish on your wife's rig. .

it won't mar the finish, if it helps her to see the target, and keeps the mount rock steady so that every time she take off and puts the scope back on without losing zero, that is a big plus in anyone's book.

Danh4
United States of America

#9 Post by Danh4 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:21 am

Dannyboy53 wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:03 am

Dan I apologize for taking so long to answer, I did not have notifications activated apparently. She used a receiver cover that had the mount fixed on it (I don't know what it's called!) She did have to zero the carbine each time it was removed for cleaning and that was her primary reason for removing it. Were it not for that she would probably have left it on the carbine because she liked it!
Ah, no problem! Apparently I don't have notifications turned on either, I'll have to look into that.

I ended up going with the Brass Stacker mount that goes over the rear sight and uses a wider recoil crossbolt to mount to the stock. It also has 4 other points of contact to the site base so it is very solid. It can all be removed and the original crossbolt reinstalled so the rifle can be returned to original condition. Iron sights can be co-witnessed and I'm very happy with the mount. I had a BSA red dot mounted on it but that was so long that I couldn't get the gas tube off for cleaning and couldn't use stripper clips. I just picked up a Sig Sauer Romeo 5 red dot which is much smaller and solves both of those problems. I have it installed but haven't gotten to sight it in yet, hopefully this weekend! I did do some shooting with the BSA sight mounted and it was fun to say the least.

I'm thinking about having my son get the replacement gas tube that has a rail on top and having him mount the BSA site up there on his SKS but I wonder if it would have the same type of re-zeroing problem that the receiver cover types have?

Thanks for the reply!

-Dan

Ghoulardi
Ukraine

#10 Post by Ghoulardi » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:36 am

Danh4 wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:21 am

I'm thinking about having my son get the replacement gas tube that has a rail on top and having him mount the BSA site up there on his SKS but I wonder if it would have the same type of re-zeroing problem that the receiver cover types have?
those gas tube mounts are garbage as well, it will have the same problem just as the cover mount will, even more so because the gas tube wobbles around when you shoot it. so, don't waste your money

as I stated before there is only 2 ways to mount a scope; that is either attaching it directly on the side of the receiver or on the rear sight, those are the only 2 places on the gun where a scope mount would be rock solid and you won't lose zero

I looked at the video of the STACKER mount, and I have to say that is pretty clever way for mounting a mount on the rifle, I don't believe that puppy will move 1 millimeter after installing that on the rifle, so you won't lose zero

Danh4
United States of America

#11 Post by Danh4 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:01 pm

Ghoulardi wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:36 am

I looked at the video of the STACKER mount, and I have to say that is pretty clever way for mounting a mount on the rifle, I don't believe that puppy will move 1 millimeter after installing that on the rifle, so you won't lose zero
It is rock solid but the major disadvantage is that the action can't be removed from the stock without removing the sight base first but now that I've got the basic rifle sorted out I can't see needing to do that all that often.

I fear you're right about the gas tube mount, he'll just have to pony up for the Brass Stacker mount!

-Dan

Ghoulardi
Ukraine

#12 Post by Ghoulardi » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:21 pm

Danh4 wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:01 pm

It is rock solid but the major disadvantage is that the action can't be removed from the stock without removing the sight base first but now that I've got the basic rifle sorted out I can't see needing to do that all that often.
to be honest, in the 20+ years I had my SKS, I never took out the action out of the stock. well, I did once, when I first bought it to clean the oil off it. I believe I took out the trigger group out a couple or 3 times in all those years.only thing that gets dirty on those are the bolt, bore, piston and gas tube. receiver I just wipe out with a rag or paper towel

with the scope sitting high you/she will need to have a cheek rest. now you can get all fancy and get a pretty leather cheek rest or do what I did and bought a simple no frills cloth cheek rest. I bought that one so long ago at a gun show, I don't know what I paid for it, it was probably under 10 bucks I believe. don't know what they go for now.

Danh4
United States of America

#13 Post by Danh4 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:41 pm

Ghoulardi wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:21 pm

with the scope sitting high you/she will need to have a cheek rest. now you can get all fancy and get a pretty leather cheek rest or do what I did and bought a simple no frills cloth cheek rest. I bought that one so long ago at a gun show, I don't know what I paid for it, it was probably under 10 bucks I believe. don't know what they go for now.
I was looking at your cheek rest in your photos, I DO need something like that and have been on the lookout for something similar.

-Dan

Ghoulardi
Ukraine

#14 Post by Ghoulardi » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:06 pm

GOOGLE "cloth cheek rest", then when the result of the search pops up, click the IMAGE button at the top of the page. that will be the fastest way to look for the cheek rest you want

Dannyboy53
United States of America

#15 Post by Dannyboy53 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:33 pm

I appreciate the comments and suggestions, I got no notification of any comments posted here. I went back into the control page and reset them again.

Thanks guys!

Return to “SKS Carbines”