Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

SVT Ammo Selection

Wildgoose
United States of America

SVT Ammo Selection

#1 Post by Wildgoose » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:30 am

Anyone have any issues with shooting heavier bullet loads either hand loaded or commercial in their SVTs ? I have not really worried about using 174 grain loads although I haven't used them a lot. Mostly these days I am shooting 150 grain hand loads in mine. I have found the commercial stuff from Wolf and Tula to be less accurate and more costly to shoot than the hand loaded. I avoid surplus corrosive simply because its a pain to clean up after. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

samsplacci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

Re: SVT Ammo Selection

#2 Post by samsplacci » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:31 am

I hear you on the PIA for cleaning after corrosive ammo. Stick to 150 grain where possible. You can also get some stainless steel aftermarket gas system components. I have had the best results with surplus corrosive ammo. The extraction isn't as violent as say the FN FAL in my opinion, you normally end up with a dent rather than a deformed case / mouth. Allowing you to reuse brass cases.

apachedawg
United States of America

Re: SVT Ammo Selection

#3 Post by apachedawg » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:08 pm

I shoot light ball or Wolf in mine. Heavy ball will tear them up. I just do a very thorough cleaning after the surplus.

Return to “Tokarev SVT-38/40”