http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:56 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Well, I took the data this forum supplied me and made some 7.65mm Longue brass today. My custom high speed steel tool did the job and cut the rim thickness to .035" and groove diameter to .295" plus or minus .001". The extractor groove came out to about 60 degrees. I was able to turn the rim diameter to .335" plus or minus .0005" without much fuss as well. I recently compared them to original French made cases and they look pretty much the same, only in brass this time.

I still haven't cut them to size, but I'm working on a pilot for my counter bore tool to do this job at home on my bench top drill press. The internal taper was giving me some problems, so I'll have to use some gage pins and diagnose the problem properly. I'l likely to go with a one pilot solves all possible problems solution as I can set depth at the drill press and not rely entirely on the pilot to stop at depth. Hopefully, I can get this done in a few days. I do need time to do it right though.

With this in mind, I'm somewhat disturbed how bad a job Buffalo Arms and Old Western Scrounger did on the same case using 32S&W Long brass as I did. I used a standard industrial 5C collect lathe with a bored out soft collect, nothing really special on that note. With their tolerances all over the place and old grooves still showing, I really wonder what they were doing, especially since I hear not all of their cases work in all pistols like original French ammo did when it still went boom. That's just real sloppy, unprofessional work. Perhaps it was done fast for extra profit, but if you don't hold your tolerances, it doesn't matter.

I'm hoping to get my process down better. I only managed 100 pieces today and its been about 12-15 years since I ran that old lathe. It all came back to me very fast, but I could improve a good deal. Starline brass held up pretty well and was very consistent. I haven't cut into any PRVI brass, but I have 50 cases to work with, but preliminary findings tell me it just isn't as consistent as Starline. For example, Starline held its length by plus or minus .001" and PRVI was around .003". This directly affects the rim thickness. I'll still use it though since actual French data indicates this is acceptable.

Well, I got some .313 cast bullets to size to .311 for this project. I'll either get a Lee sizer on sale or I might make a Lyman sizing die from 303 stainless and skip the lube holes since I'm intending to tumble lube with Lee's Alox. I do have a set of 32ACP dies already, but need that 22 hornet RCBS holder I have been suggested to use to reload 7.65mm Longue. I should get that with a Lee sizer, ummh.....

I'd like to thank the forum for its help with this project. Looks like its paying off dividends.

Best Regards,

Mark

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:13 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Finished sizing my first 100 cases with a counter bore cutting and custom pilot. The cutter did the job very well, much better than expected. The lathe didn't center up the pilot as well as I though it could, so it enlarged the case mouth about .005. This is also one of the few times I have worked with thin brass, so its a learning curve for me. Next time I will use a drill press, or make a proper collect for the counter bore tool to fit in. The one I had shifted it too much up or down depending on how much pressure I applied on the set screws holding it in. If I make my own collet, I think I can eliminate most of that. I do think running them through a FL sizer should make them just fine though. Of course, this might be good as it expanded the mouth enough to take flat based bullets without too much trouble and it isn't that deep.

I need for get a few bullets and a RCBS .22 hornet shell holder before I can do any reloading. I further checked some cases today on another optical comparator and they looked comparable to original cases as I had one right next to it. I'm sending 50 cases to 72 USMC to try out as well.

Next time I make these I hope to change a few processes and get the time per piece down and get the pilot on dead center. This first time involved getting a lot of tooling done before any cuts could even start, so hopefully next time around will be much better.

With any luck, there will be range reports on the way. I hope all goes well.

Best Regards,

Mark