Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

A pair of Polish Wifama kbks wz.78 trainers

Lotema
Poland

A pair of Polish Wifama kbks wz.78 trainers

#1 Post by Lotema » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:42 am

I've been on a bit of a Polish collecting kick this year. Started off by getting a VG condition wz.48 a couple months ago and while researching the Polish trainers, found out about the wz.78's. Yeah, a little late to the ball game on those as they mostly came in to the country between 2010 and 2012. Took a little while to finally find one at an auction but it appeared to be in great condition so I went after it. Bid a bit more than I would have liked to but don't really feel that I over spent too badly on it.

The wz.78's were made as replacements for the wz.48's. Instead of the Mosin style sights, these ones have AK style sights instead. On top of that, the sights are removable and there is a built in dovetail to allow the addition of a scope. As I understand it, these were all made between 1989 and 1991. Of course at the same time, Poland was leaving the Soviet sphere of influence and heading in the direction of Nato. As a result, their need for these rifles diminished and they were eventually surplused out.

Here's a few photos of the first one that I bought at auction.

The AK style rear sight, graduated out to 100 yards. I've only shot it out to 50 yards so far and boy is it a tack driver.

The front sight sits on a dovetail and is easily removable.

These come with a 5 round magazine.

This one was imported by PW Arms in Redmond WA.

Now, I did say that this was a pair of wz.78s.. After getting the one above, I made a couple of people at the local range a bit jealous. My shooting buddy really wanted one and our local FFL we transfer through was pretty keen on getting one as well. I spent some time and found a post on another forum about a shop down in NC that actually had 3 of them, new in box. My friend contacted the guy to get the shop info and then contacted the shop to confirm he had them and would ship them out of state. They had all three and would ship no problem. Both he and our FFL wound up getting one and we waited a few days for them to show up. I went to the FFL's place with my friend to take a look at what they got. The rifle my friend got was gorgeous, excellent condition, still covered in grease, he was very happy with it. Then I took a look at the one the FFL got and all I could say was WOW! That rifle was a stone cold fox and I knew immediately that I couldn't let him keep it. He has a list of guns he really wants, so I casually asked if I could see the list. Browsing through it, I found a rifle I was willing to trade him for the wz78. He needed a day to think about it but agreed to the exchange and his wz became my wz and I couldn't be happier.

Here's a few photos of the 2nd one.

Doesn't matter what angle you look at it from, the wood on this one is just amazing!

Also a PW Arms import

The kids got me a Mueller 8-32x44 scope to put on it for Fathers Day. It's a bit of over kill for the rifle but it'll shoot the wings off a gnat at 50 yards!

SmokinTurkey
United States of America

Re: A pair of Polish Wifama kbks wz.78 trainers

#2 Post by SmokinTurkey » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:04 pm

Nice rifles! One of the gun stores close to me had about 20 of these rifles around a year ago. I kick myself for not picking up at least 1.

Candyman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#3 Post by Candyman » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:56 pm

I picked up one a few years back and only took it to the range once. It has been a safe queen. I plan to retire in 3 to 4 years and think I will be spending some time on the range with it.

SmokinTurkey
United States of America

#4 Post by SmokinTurkey » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:28 pm

I hope I make it to retirement!

Lotema
Poland

#5 Post by Lotema » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:31 pm

These really are some great rifles. They're the only ones that I've even taken to the range in the past two months since I got the first one, just way too much fun. I figure with 2 of them though, they should still have plenty of life left in them by the time I hit retirement! :D

Zeliard
United States of America

#6 Post by Zeliard » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:28 pm

Man those are cool!
Proud alumni of Transylvanian Polygnostic University. "Know enough to be afraid."

"Vertroue in God en die Mauser".-Faith in God and the Mauser.

"Send lawyers, guns and money." -Warren Zevon

Friedspam
United States of America

#7 Post by Friedspam » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:18 pm

Some of them had pretty nice looking wood.

Lotema
Poland

#8 Post by Lotema » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:55 pm

Very nice! I really like the contrasting color in the wood

Friedspam
United States of America

#9 Post by Friedspam » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:25 pm

I've got a different scope on it know. It's a very good shooting rifle as well. I got it from Eric "Preachere" on this site when he was selling them several years ago.

Return to “.22 Caliber Military Trainer”