Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

H&R M65 Reising Trainer

Dasvie
United States of America

H&R M65 Reising Trainer

#1 Post by Dasvie » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:06 am

Good morning everyone,
In the last few weeks I have picked up my second M65 Resing 22 rifle in great shape with a Resing correct sling for the low low price of $201.00. Now, where my experience and knowledge has hit a brick wall; there was a batch of them that the USMC used to train with. Depending on the literature, the serial number range may have been as high as 10000, other say 6000, and the last bit of information i researched said 3000-4000. CMP doesn't know anything, H&R doesn't exist for the most part anymore, and finally Remington purchased H&R and their historians don't know. Does anyone have any concrete evidence that says one way or another? Oddly enough, after the first batch went to the USMC, H&R sold the exact rifle on the civilian market before they started making slight changes to the stock and sight set up and finally ending with the Leatherneck set up.

Thanks
David

retread12345678
United States of America

Re: H&R M65 Reising Trainer

#2 Post by retread12345678 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:03 pm

NO. EXPERT. I would recommend a. higher authority. There are several paperback reference books concerning. US .22 training rifles No, I don't recall the exact titles. But Bruce
Canfield might be the author. As. an aside, I really can't see "training rifles" distributed to USMC recruits Happy researching !!!!

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#3 Post by Rapidrob » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:45 pm

The rifles were used by the USMC but the majority of the rifles were not marked as such. Several of the armed services used them.
The one I have was bought from a WWII Vet. Was it used by the Marines is anyone's guess. The later rifles are marked Leatherneck and are different from the original rifles.
The rifle is very well made and accurate. I have read and been told by others that a few were threaded for a suppressor to shoot rats on the Pacific islands and not startle the other Marines close by. I was told that a few Marines when hunting two legged game and the rifles were then pulled off the island.
There is a fellow over on GB's who is very knowledgeable about these rifles and has photo's of them in use.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

Dasvie
United States of America

#4 Post by Dasvie » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:12 pm

I personally own two of the M65 Reising rifles. Very well made for the time and design. One is in the 3k range and the other is mid 6k range both are set up like the M1 rifle. From what I've read and gathered the M65 was offered as a trainer to the military and post war the left overs were sold commercially. They redesigned the 65 to the "General" and later the leather neck.

dmg4
United States of America

#5 Post by dmg4 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:07 pm

I have two M65s. One is in the 1000 range, one in the 5000 range. Excellent sights, very accurate, but fussy about ammo they will shoot without occasional stoppages (failure to eject or chamber from the magazine). If I can get through a box of 50 rounds without a stoppage, they are having a good day.
Frequently wrong, never in doubt.

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#6 Post by Rapidrob » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:01 pm

Was the General different looking? I've not seen one.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

dmg4
United States of America

#7 Post by dmg4 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:50 pm

Some, but not all of The General 65 models had slightly shorter stocks and cuts in the comb. Early H&R advertisements listed The General as having a slightly lighter weight than the military model 65. It was a transitional model to the 165 Leatherneck released in 1946.

H&R records from that era are slim to none.
Frequently wrong, never in doubt.

Dasvie
United States of America

#8 Post by Dasvie » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:53 am

They were never marked as the general merely marketed. As the story goes, during and after the war they started selling the trainers to the public, probably leftovers that the military did not purchase. Slowly, they started modifying the original design comb stock, plastic butt plate, new front sight, and lastly the leather neck was born. Gearing up for M14 trainers, the USMC revisited the design and had H&R modify the safety to mimic the M14 hence the M58 USMC trainer was born.

Return to “.22 Caliber Military Trainer”