Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

No2 MkIV With No4 Rear Sight?

boltactionbill
United States of America

No2 MkIV With No4 Rear Sight?

#1 Post by boltactionbill » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:50 am

Sorry I don't have any pictures, it was spotted at a gunshow where taking pictures isn't allowed.
It was a 1924 BSA No I MkIII converted to 22. Unmarked magazine which still contained its .303 follower and spring. Black parkarized metal, lots of scrubbed markings and no markings on the wood except for a stock disc which simply stated No2 MkIV around the top and 22 at the bottom.
The regular rear sight was gone with only the sight base remaining. A bracket had been added to the rear of the receiver which contained a 1300 yard No4 rear sight which did swing up and down with battle sight. The bolt was cable tied shut and the seller refused to cut it off unless I was going to commit to the sale. I really don't think the bolt was removable with the rear sight bracket in place. I was very leery about this thing so I moved on. I'm hoping I didn't let something rare go that would have enhanced my Enfield collection.

Is there any chance this was a real and correct No2 trainer or was it a Jovino put together?
The seller had it priced at $795 us but was willing to go down to $700 us. - Bill

Tommy Atkins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

Re: No2 MkIV With No4 Rear Sight?

#2 Post by Tommy Atkins » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:58 pm

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#3 Post by Rapidrob » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:04 pm

The magazine reads like it has been replaced.
All the ones I own,seen have had the guts removed and stamped .22
The rear sight must be raised in order to remove the bolt.
Seller was a work of art not letting you see the bore.
700 bucks sounds high to me.
Rifle was most likely in a shooting club or cadet unit.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

indy1919a4
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#4 Post by indy1919a4 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:22 pm

boltactionbill wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:50 am
Sorry I don't have any pictures, it was spotted at a gunshow where taking pictures isn't allowed.
It was a 1924 BSA No I MkIII converted to 22. Unmarked magazine which still contained its .303 follower and spring. Black parkarized metal, lots of scrubbed markings and no markings on the wood except for a stock disc which simply stated No2 MkIV around the top and 22 at the bottom.
The regular rear sight was gone with only the sight base remaining. A bracket had been added to the rear of the receiver which contained a 1300 yard No4 rear sight which did swing up and down with battle sight. The bolt was cable tied shut and the seller refused to cut it off unless I was going to commit to the sale. I really don't think the bolt was removable with the rear sight bracket in place. I was very leery about this thing so I moved on. I'm hoping I didn't let something rare go that would have enhanced my Enfield collection.

Is there any chance this was a real and correct No2 trainer or was it a Jovino put together?
The seller had it priced at $795 us but was willing to go down to $700 us. - Bill
I do not know how important it is for the BSA markings for you.. But I think you can do better on
Price getting a trainer off gunbroker..

i.e

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/784399184

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/791129486

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/786537965

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/785450060

And I do agree a guy to cheap to let you cut the tie so you can see inside does not need the sale..

boltactionbill
United States of America

#5 Post by boltactionbill » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:09 pm

Thanks guys you all hit the nail right on the head with your responses. So apparently what I saw was a No2 MkIV* or the last variation of the No2 trainer. Yes Rob no doubt about it the magazine was a replacement. At least it was genuine Enfield and not aftermarket junk! Thanks for the history Tommy and thanks for the listings Indy. There was one there with the No4 rear sight but it was an RFI not a BSA as the listing claimed. There were the letters ESA stamped on the stock so maybe the seller needs new glasses. Based on what I just saw them selling for I'm glad I walked and saved myself hundreds of dollars. I guess this lesson runs full circle to my thread about gun shows and our world going nuts. Cheers gentlemen, Bill

Tommy Atkins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

#6 Post by Tommy Atkins » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:31 pm

RFI= Indian.
ESA rings a dim bell somewhere, not sure why, but I think its significant. Canadian maybe?
Either way the price was excessive.

boltactionbill
United States of America

#7 Post by boltactionbill » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:08 pm

I was talking about the 3rd GB listing that Indy put up not the one I was looking at. Coincidentally that RFI in the GB listing has the No4 sight too. The one I saw started life as a 1924 BSA No I MkIII.

Tommy Atkins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

#8 Post by Tommy Atkins » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:02 am

Ok, sorry I misunderstood.
I've seen several pics some have the No4 back-sight & "bracket" & some don't.
From the height of it I think the bolt could be removed like a no 4 by flipping the sight up first. Even with the extra length (height?) of the No1 bolt heads lug.

Return to “.22 Caliber Military Trainer”