Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

REMINGTON M1863 PERCUSSION ‘ZOUAVE’ RIFLE REPRO

FamilyFirearms
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
United States of America

REMINGTON M1863 PERCUSSION ‘ZOUAVE’ RIFLE REPRO

#1 Post by FamilyFirearms » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:08 pm

Ok, I have no idea why I purchased a reproduction of a REMINGTON M1863 PERCUSSION ‘ZOUAVE’ RIFLE other than it was really cool looking and I have had a fascination with black powder guns for a while. The reason why I never got one is... well... I am lazy. Yes I said it, lazy. Since I have a ton of ammo and it is easier to use it, I never played with black powder guns even though a own a small cannon I have been dying to shoot it ( rifles .44 cal barrel).

The question is do I keep it and attempt to shoot it or sell it? Since nobody is allowed to sell black powder at our gunshows, can one use Pyrodex or should I hold out for black powder? If so, what would should I buy and is there a special material for patches if need be? For bullets roundball or Minni?

Sorry for all the questions but I am in foreign waters here.

retread12345678
United States of America

Re: REMINGTON M1863 PERCUSSION ‘ZOUAVE’ RIFLE REPRO

#2 Post by retread12345678 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:00 pm

For me PYREX is the only way to go........what make is the rifle??? Quality can vary quite a bit Ihave seen kits for these, but passed

Enfield Shooter
United States of America

#3 Post by Enfield Shooter » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:09 pm

OK Todd, You can get black powder from Graf & sons. They do have a HAZMAT fee so find a friend or two to go in on the purchase. Whatever floats your boat for round ball or minnie, Using round ball, mt dad just used bore butter as a lube with a cloth patch. For minnie, I use Alox as a lube. Then you go out and have more fun than a human should be allowed to have!
David
"We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat; they do not exist"
Victoria 1899

M14man
United States of America

#4 Post by M14man » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:53 pm

Use Pyrodex or American Pioneer. Avoid black powder, draws moisture promoting rust, even after a good cleaning.Fouls very quickly with Black to the effect you will have trouble loading after four shots, unless you swab some to remove fouling.

Enfield Shooter
United States of America

#5 Post by Enfield Shooter » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:16 pm

Enough of the negative waves, Moriarity! I've used quite a bit of black powder. It's not too difficult to clean. While the barrel is still hot to warm, pour a bottle of water down the tube. When you get to your cleaning location equal parts of water, alcohol and Murphy's oil soap poured into the barrel and left for a few minutes will loosen and remove most of the residue. A few patches soaked with this solution will finish the job. Dry and lightly oil the barrel and you are golden.
BTW, this cleaning solution is curtesy of Tommy T.
David
"We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat; they do not exist"
Victoria 1899

Smokey
United States of America

#6 Post by Smokey » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:41 am

Wile I lived in Texas, an individual took a Zouave replica to the range pretty frequently. He would shoot Minie bullets over Pyrodex at the 200 yard silhouettes, and hit pretty consistently offhand. In fact he shot better than the folks using scoped single shot pistols from various sitting positions, with some potent cartridges..
Arguing with someone who denounces reason is like administering medicine to a corpse.

SWIHARTMARK
United States of America

#7 Post by SWIHARTMARK » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:07 pm

Black powder is the way to go, especially if you have an antique to shoot. If you are used to shooting corrosive ammo, this is no big deal. I'll trade the mess for a safer experience any time.

Best Regards,

Mark

TommyT
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
United States of America

#8 Post by TommyT » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:11 am

OK Todd....here ya go! I've been shooting and competing with Civil war rifled muskets since the early 90's. Minie balls are the way to go. As well as using real black powder. Pyrodex is terrible stuff. I'm sure I can hook you up with some nice Minie's. I cast 3 different styles and can custom size them to your bore. As for clean up...the best solution I've found is Murphy's Oil Soap, rubbing alcohol and hydrogen peroxide mixed in equal parts. It eats the BP residue. You also be able to easily get 20-25 shots before you need to clean out the fouling using Minie's. q

shoggoth80
United States of America

#9 Post by shoggoth80 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:05 am

Good grab. From what I've seen the Zouave us a very pretty rifle. From what I've heard they're great shooters. I want one myself.

I don't like Pyrodex. It works. But it's super corrosive. Clean right away. It's worse than authentic BP. I've found a pretty nice substitute called Black MZ made by Alliant. Been getting it on sale $10/pound in my area. Hard to say no. Lightly corrosive, but less than the others it seems. Hot water still the way to go though.

Kevinofborg
United States of America

#10 Post by Kevinofborg » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:19 am

Lets see some pictures of it!

Kevin
kevinofborg
TX

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#11 Post by Rapidrob » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:14 am

Of the BP rifles of it's day,for issue to troops, they are very accurate. I have two in my collection and both shoot well. I have fired one out to 500 yards and it will shoot well enough to hit a man sized target most of the time.
Any of the BP substitutes will work well in your rifle.Pyrodex is number one to try.
Stick with a known load and minie ball weight. Don't try to "push the bullet faster" as what happens is the bullets skirt will blow outward as it leaves the muzzle and destroy any accuracy.
Pure lead bullets are the only way to go.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

patrick_ford
United States of America

#12 Post by patrick_ford » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:55 pm

A lot of people give the Zouave rifles a bad rap, but they seem pretty nice. Is there a certain make to avoid or to look for in regards to best quality?

I've been interested in getting a .58 caliber for a while now and the Zouaves seem to be a good bargain for what you get.
“We don’t rise to the level of our expectations – we fall to the level of our training” - Archilochus

Return to “Antique Cartridge and Black Powder Rifles”