Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

A question

Enfield Shooter
United States of America

A question

#1 Post by Enfield Shooter » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:20 pm

I took my new to me Remington Rolling Block in .43 Spanish to the range and the very first round had a catastrophic failure with the case. It broke apart with one piece in my hand and the other still in the breech. Burner supplied to solution to getting the broken piece out which worked like a charm. However, one of the people I was shooting with is a metallurgist and his opinion is that the brass seemed to be brittle. An examination of the brass reveals the appearance of never having been annealed. I have proceeded to pull the other 19 rounds and will be annealing the brass in due course. The issue I need help/comments on is, as I was pulling the bullets, I discovered that the powder was coming out of the case looking more like black talcum powder instead of FFg black powder. I am wondering if this pulled powder is OK to use or should I use new powder to reload with. To be honest, I am leaning towards loading with new. Better to be safe than wind up with a destroyed rifle in my hands.
David
"We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat; they do not exist"
Victoria 1899

SWIHARTMARK
United States of America

Re: A question

#2 Post by SWIHARTMARK » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:33 pm

Throw old powder into camp fire on forth of July...... Just a little at a time. I'd dump the old powder (into convenient camp fire on right time of the year), anneal the brass, and start over from scratch. Given the cost of the gun and the brass, the powder is chump change. I'd even pop the primers. Oh, clean the brass too. Might be oily, or what have you.

What does the bottom of the rim on the brass say? I wonder if they used another caliber or made it from scratch. If another caliber, maybe I can help you down the road.

Oh, besides the cost of the rifle, your safety can be thrown in for good measure.

My type 99 had similar problems and it could have been some moist powder as the inside of the case had yellow powdery stuff inside.

Best Regards,

Mark

Enfield Shooter
United States of America

#3 Post by Enfield Shooter » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:12 pm

Mark, your suggestion is the one I had thought to be the most likely answer. The brass is stamped .43 Spanish and 8 cases have been annealed. In due course, I will anneal all of the brass I have and then load it once again.
David
"We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat; they do not exist"
Victoria 1899

SWIHARTMARK
United States of America

#4 Post by SWIHARTMARK » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:12 pm

Damn, I was hopping to find out which shell casing makes 43 Spanish. Bertram does stamp their own brass, but I hoped for a slip up. Buffalo Arms uses other cases and modifies them from what I see.

Might anneal some stuff this weekend, mostly 32-20 Winchester brass for 8mm Lebel revolver ammo. The rim is going from 312 t o .330, so annealing wouldn't hurt. I'll cut it down after annealing too. I don't want it to split when I expand it.

Currently looking at a 10.4mm Italian Vetterli mold from Lee, well a 44 Magnum pistol bullet mold. 300 grains, which isn't too bad. The Vetterli cases will be a pure joy to expand from .348 to .430. I'm thinking of doing it in .030 graduations as to keep the brass from splitting from .348 Winchester. I might get some lathe time this Friday to make a very shallow neck flare tool for a Snider, Martini-Henry and Springfield Trapdoor. Wish me luck on that.

Best Regards,

Mark

kc8goz
United States of America

#5 Post by kc8goz » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:03 pm

Mark I was told by some major 43 spanish shooters in Defiance that you can make out of 45-70. 2 things about doing that though. 1st you need to make a "blow out" die as the case needs to be blown out some (larger diameter) and the end result will be a short case by about an eighth of an inch so bullet will stick out more (load to over all length and you will be fine vs loading to grease grooves). This works as I bought about 40 cases from them and have yet to have any problems other than looks of the loaded round with the "extra" lead showing. I have wondered if you blow out a 45-90 case and then trim to proper length would work, but I don't have a blow out die to try. Also they told me blowing out is an art like making Martini Henry cases so expect some trash.
Doug

SWIHARTMARK
United States of America

#6 Post by SWIHARTMARK » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:31 pm

Ummh, I would guess centering up the case and then plunging some progressively large pins through the internal diameter of the case should suffice. Of course, you really have to anneal that brass along where you intend to expand it, but not the base....especially not the base. Not a real hard job. I've actually turned a 24 gauge shotgun case into a Martini-Henry sans the sizing. Again, not a real hard task if you anneal the brass right and prep the case properly. I was 3 for 3 in my attempts.

I'm currently attempting to clean out my garage and put in a lathe and a mill. Oh, and save the money for such a project as well. Since I've stop buying guns, this is feasible. Unfortunately, the lathe I first wanted is no longer adequate and the one I really want is twice as expensive. Oh, and its 400 pounds shipped. What to do, what to do? Also incurred $8000 Roto-Rooter bill, which will put a huge crimp on saving up for such a project at this time.

I would expand the internal diameter about .020 to .030 at a time. I have a "How To Make Cases" book that says that. Here is a big secret, sand your cases flat without any indentations on the rims so the case doesn't split when you expand it. Also do this before annealing. Brass is real easy to sand flat with 400 grit paper I think. Maybe 200 grit, but 400 sounds right. It seemed to help me a great deal. Of course, I was taught by an expert in this matter.

I'd endure to having the lead stick out. 45-90 cases sound expensive by themselves.

Oh, once I get a lathe and mill, watch out. No more sneaking around at work or going to another shop for fun.

Best Regards,

Mark

Pins from other die sets might to the trick for progressively expanding cases.

Return to “Antique Cartridge and Black Powder Rifles”