Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Alliant Black MZ Powder

shoggoth80
United States of America

Alliant Black MZ Powder

#1 Post by shoggoth80 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:21 pm

Hey all. Figured I would put this under muzzleloading, as it didn't seem quite right under reloading. My buddy and I found this when trying to get actual black powder, and struck out.

It was more affordable than the other substitutes, and seemed to get positive reviews online. Granules were consistent in size, seemed to meter/pour well. Burned clean, seemed to give decent accuracy. Claims to be less corrosive than other substitutes, and the genuine article. Still cleaned as corrosive anyway, because I'm not chancing it. Made that mistake once way back with Pyrodex.

Started with 80gr, and worked to 90gr with .45cal PRB. The guns seemed to like that charge. Recoil was not bad. Quick little kick, but our rifles weren't exactly hefty examples. Good enough to knock 1/8th inch metal plates around, and made for a fun afternoon on the cheap.

I want to buy more of this stuff. Anyone else use it? What are your thoughts? I tend to like Alliant powders, and have used them often with my handgun loads. I also like anything that isn't Pyrodex. Lol.

Tidewater_Kid
United States of America

Re: Alliant Black MZ Powder

#2 Post by Tidewater_Kid » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:32 pm

I haven't tried that. I purchased Pyrodex many times because I could not find real black powder. Then I discovered Bass Pro Shops has a powder magazine and sells Goex. You have to ask for it, but it is good stuff. I might have to try some of this.

TK
Never Give Up, Never Surrender!
Preserve Historic Artifacts for Future Generations: Collect Firearms

shoggoth80
United States of America

#3 Post by shoggoth80 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:57 pm

There's a shop about 45min from where I'm at that sells real black. Gonna try and get a stockpile.
Options are good though.

Enfield Shooter
United States of America

#4 Post by Enfield Shooter » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:24 pm

I've purchased my black powder from Grafs. There is a HAZMAT fee but if you can get enough friends to go in on the buy it isn't too bad. Nice to know that Bass Pro Shop has it. Do you know if all of their stores carry it?
David
"We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat; they do not exist"
Victoria 1899

shoggoth80
United States of America

#5 Post by shoggoth80 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:20 pm

Grabbed this over the weekend. Lol. While not the subject matter, it is the real deal.
20170618_194315-1.jpg

Tidewater_Kid
United States of America

#6 Post by Tidewater_Kid » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:57 pm

I don't know if all the stores carry it. They don't advertise that they do. You can call and ask. That will save a wasted trip.
Never Give Up, Never Surrender!
Preserve Historic Artifacts for Future Generations: Collect Firearms

shoggoth80
United States of America

#7 Post by shoggoth80 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:34 am

As a fair aside, we went back the other day, and got another pound each of Black MZ. At $10 a pound, it's a pretty good deal. Easily accessible right now too.

FamilyFirearms
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
United States of America

#8 Post by FamilyFirearms » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:39 pm

Just out of curiosity, isn't there a limit to how much black powder you can have and a certain way to store it?

The reason I ask is I have a garage that has lest say a "few" display ordinance pieces. With them and black powder, I do not want to run afoul with the BATFE on our next inspection.

SWIHARTMARK
United States of America

#9 Post by SWIHARTMARK » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:32 pm

I went to the Cabelas around I-675 in Kettering, Ohio last year and asked about getting some black powder and somebody with some knowledge on the stuff said that due to new storage regulations, they didn't carry the real deal, nor would they ship it to the store for pickup. So went a cheap way of avoiding hazmat fees. There is a place near Xenia that has black powder, but they charge you about the same price as it is to ship it in with a hazmat fee, that is if you ordered around 4 pounds of it. Odds are you are better off safe than sorry on this one. A few pounds should be okay though. There is one place near Middletown off SR73 that has it as well, but I'm not quite sure of the name of the place.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Mark

BP is the way to go though. Stop whining and clean those guns!

Return to “Antique Cartridge and Black Powder Rifles”