Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Converting .348 Win to 10.4mm Italian Vetterli

SWIHARTMARK
United States of America

Converting .348 Win to 10.4mm Italian Vetterli

#1 Post by SWIHARTMARK » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:45 pm

Besides annealing the brass before expanding the neck, what other steps are necessary? I wondered how much you can get away with at one time expanding the neck. From what I see it should be done in .020 steps, or does the annealing make that much greater. I'll have to make some expanders for my press accordingly.

Best Regards,

Mark

BTW, any body use a NOE bullet mold for this rifle?

garra
United States of America

Re: Converting .348 Win to 10.4mm Italian Vetterli

#2 Post by garra » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:11 pm

Mark,

When I was expanding necks and needed to really expand to almost the case size I went to C&H 4 D. they will make tapered expanding inserts and with along with their holder work really well. In some cases I had to have 3 tapered inserts made, just tell them what diameter you want to start with and where you want to end up. The inserts were pretty reasonable, about $15.00 each.

gg

SWIHARTMARK
United States of America

#3 Post by SWIHARTMARK » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:24 pm

Looks like I shall make some myself to save money. I rigged up a blank CH4D die to accept custom tooling for use on my Lee Classic press. I'll also anneal those cases before I try anything. I don't know if CH4D has dies for the old Italian Vetterli rifles. Only one way to find out and fork over some $$$. Nobody responded to my NOE mold request. I need a better mold for this rifle than something made for a 44 mag pistol. Of course, its far cheaper, but I'm not a bright boy.

Best Regards,

Mark

garra
United States of America

#4 Post by garra » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:22 pm

C&H makes dies for that caliber I bought a set for my rifle. Ended up using a 255gn bullet .429 diameter. If I remember correctly I tried a heavier one but it didn't want to chamber properly.
It was sometimes faster to go through Buffalo when ordering C&H dies, they would have them in stock, where you had to wait till a production run was planned if you went directly to C&H.

SWIHARTMARK
United States of America

#5 Post by SWIHARTMARK » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:18 pm

I noticed that mold is likely a Lee one. I was told to use the Lee one with 300 grains. I almost ordered those CH4D dies as they were in stock this spring. Maybe now? Thanks for the tip on Buffalo Arms as CH4D makes molds for them I noticed and at the same price offering that CH4D has. I have to gather the cash and gumption to mess with rifle, but she is a looker. I think I have a Lyman mold around .244 grains. You think that will do? Picked it up for $20, might as give it a go then.

Best Regards,

Mark

BTW, I need to look at my 32ACP PRVI ammo tonight for AOL. I did shoot one entire box, so I hope they don't vary by box.

Return to “Antique Cartridge and Black Powder Rifles”