Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

My 1884 Trapdoor sporting rifle, made in 1886

savagebrother
United States of America

My 1884 Trapdoor sporting rifle, made in 1886

#1 Post by savagebrother » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:18 pm

Here is my 1884 Trapdoor sporting rifle. It is, by to experts I took it too, as best they can tell, a real sporting rifle. These were made by the army for politicians and other VIP's from other countries so they could buffalo hunt out west. The bore is pristine, very shiney, and the load I worked up is very accurate and the trigger is saweet to put it lightly LOL. Theres really only one thing sucks about this rifle??? The guy that owned it before the person I bought it from felt it would bring more money if he had his greatgrandadies old rifle re-blued and the stock refinished!!!!! Even more so, what gunsmith would have done this to this type of rifle without asking a lot of questions???
Oh well it's my pleasure because I get to shoot and hunt with it and it's history makes it all the more better.
Oh yeah, the scope mount. Well my eyes are just to old to hunt with open sights to hunt with. There's a guy on GunBroker that makes the scope base and the scope is a 2-7x3long eye relief and the setup works great

indy1919a4
United States of America

Re: My 1884 Trapdoor sporting rifle, made in 1886

#2 Post by indy1919a4 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:21 pm

I really like that set up... very nice...

savagebrother
United States of America

#3 Post by savagebrother » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:44 pm

Yes I do to, it takes the place of the buffington rear sight, uses the same screws, so your not harming the rifle in any way and with the scope away from your head you can concentrate on aiming. I want to hunt some pigs with it too.
I shoot 405gr laser cast with a wonderwad under it over 38 grs of blackhorn 209 powder. It gives me 1690 FPS!!! Very accurate usually around 1"-1.5" all the time at 100 yds.
SB

concretus
United States of America

#4 Post by concretus » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:22 am

That is GREAT!! an excellent brush gun!!! Good job!!

Return to “Antique Cartridge and Black Powder Rifles”