Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Communist Bloc Handguns contents page added

72 usmc
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

Communist Bloc Handguns contents page added

#1 Post by 72 usmc » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:55 pm

:dance: There is a new book out advertised in the new June 2018 issue of Gun Collector, p. 13. It is COMMUNIST BLOC HANDGUNS by George Layman 2018, offered by Mowbray Publishing. Cost 39.95 plus 4.59 S&H
I did not get my copy yet. It should be great. 160 pages soft cover and 452 color plates. It is so new I can not find the table of contents page. I will post this after my copy arrives.
NOTICE IT SHIPS IN MAY If you order early its a preorder :doh:
Communist-bloc.png
see https://gunandswordcollector.com/produc ... -handguns/

:dance:
lots of other new books by Mowbray Publishing see:
https://gunandswordcollector.com/produc ... derby=date
Last edited by 72 usmc on Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

72 usmc
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

Re: Communist Bloc Handguns

#2 Post by 72 usmc » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:17 pm

Great news! The Communist Bloc Handguns arrived early from the printers and yours will be shipping out tomorrow by US Mail. Please allow a week to 10 days for delivery.
My book shipped out today. I will post a table of contents page when it arrives. It sounds like they are ready for order& ASAP ship out.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

72 usmc
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

Re: Communist Bloc Handguns

#3 Post by 72 usmc » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:48 pm

Here is the table of contents. Lots of pistols , but no parts diagrams, no list of production years by factory, no take down instructions. This has excellent photos of the gun, its markings, the magazine, the ammo, and the correct holster. I just got the book today it appears to be more of a survey of the many communist pistols, not so much about their details. What I miss is the charts for production years-start to finish, where each was produced and by what factories, and there specific markings per producer/factory. Excellent, perfectly clear photos of the many pistols. Lots, and lots of pistols you never heard of or will ever be able to find & buy. The author generally shows the import marked version and intact non import marked versions. Worth the price just to see decent photos of the holsters and correct magazines. Photography is out of this world crystal clear- FANTASTIC views. The pistols are shown in large size; 2 cover a entire page so one can see the blue quality, the grip composition, the marks. The author also show the import mark & its location/size. He talks about there importation - when, who and lots or just a few came into the U.S.
added
After reading a few sections there are a lots of tidbits not found on line and each section is well written. His tok on each pistol is one of the strong points and his comments are informative and the the stuff normally found on line. The picture and descriptive text is well laid out and paper quality is heavy. I am just amazed at the quality of the photos- they all, and I mean all, are so clear. All are in color. Print front is large and easy to see for old eyes. The entire page of text is artistically spaced around the photos not two small columns of print. There are small highlighted photos of specific maker's marks or markings of specific pistols. All of the highlighted small photos and the larger photos of the pistols and holster are laid out masterfully so the text is still easy to follow and read. It is well bound with folded leafs and glue -- it did not split when I forced it down to get a photo of a page. Like all of Mowbray's books, it is a high quality book at a fair price- no way could you photo copy the pages in color cheeper than the cost of the book. Every page has photos. A true visual delight. This is the second strong point its unique photography and attention to each pistols details. The third strong point generally lacking with on line sources are the photo details of the original holsters and the proper magazines. This is a plus. His section on post war copies is way interesting -it has some of the newer versions of commercial pistols. Do not get excited about the ammo section it is a light touch; only 3 pages, sort of an after thought of the common stuff seen at gun shows - no rare boxes or headstamp data. It provides just enough information so one knows what the correct cartridge for a pistols looks like.

This is the weak spot, I really would have liked some production charts on the years production and factories producing the pistols. He missed the boat on this one, but then it would have been a perfect book. As is, it is a fantastic color photographic survey of so many pistols with some very interesting text and comments on each pistols production, faults, strong points, availability, and who imported them and when. There is plenty of descriptive text- not a coffee table book, but a really nice photographic reference. A review of communist pistols with better photos than one can find on line. At 40 bucks I can not understand how so many color plates-- 2-5 per page, can be produced and sold at such a great price :doh: :doh: :dance: :dance: :dance:
Note: the attachment enlarges so you can read what pistols are covered. Many more odd variations are also mentioned in this book.
Attachments
IMG_1508.JPG
Last edited by 72 usmc on Tue May 01, 2018 11:07 am, edited 7 times in total.

rob
United States of America

Re: Communist Bloc Handguns contents page added

#4 Post by rob » Tue May 01, 2018 8:40 am

Thanks for the info, I will have to pick one up

72 usmc
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#5 Post by 72 usmc » Tue May 01, 2018 12:30 pm

I should add that the author was a US Army Intelligence analyst so he has a good number of first hand observations about these pistols he encountered in the field that are not found in other books about the pistols he found & ordnance that was captured and studied during a variety of clandestine conflicts where communist pistols were taken/selected as specimens for study or destruction. The book has a good number of war trophy specimens pictured. Some complete rigs. The fourth strong point of the book. He apparently collected specimens for comparative labs and museums. There are some very interesting comments from a US intelligence perspective on their use in the field and there operation effectiveness. There are some interesting personal stories about specific pistols and how they were obtained in trades and sales after the fall of the Iron curtain. The stories talked about in the text is as good as the photos. Another differing perspective and strong point of this book.
The more I read, the better it gets.

I also got a flyer about out of print books that they reprinted Two that I like are the titles: The French 1935 Pistols by E. Medlin & c. Doane and Arming the Dragon; Mauser rifle production in China 1895-1950 by Dolf L. Goldsmith

spentprimer
United States of America

#6 Post by spentprimer » Wed May 02, 2018 7:59 am

I wish it had been available in a hardcover version.
This ain't Dodge City and you ain't Bill Hickok - Matthew Quigley

72 usmc
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#7 Post by 72 usmc » Thu May 03, 2018 11:08 pm

The ammo section is only 3 pages. Nothing new on the ammo and some of it appears to be stuff from the forums. He does mention some things about split cases on Polish Tok ammo ( which is a fact) and I think he mentioned that batch of Romanian ammo that had one year??? where it was out of spec and I had to fit each round in the chamber to see if it fit or was too tight. Some cartridges just did not go in on some tins. I think that was 82 or 83 Romanian Tok in the larger boxes that SOG and Aim sold so cheep back in the day. This chapter is a weak spot and I think the author didn't even want to add it to the book. The shooting section is also a side line. A better book on shooting ( actually fantastic) each specific firearm is Mike Venturino's, 2014 book: Shooting World War II Small Arms.

So if you are into cartridges, reloading, or shooting the pistols this is not the book. However, Layman has keen insights on the pistols and info on there importation and how often one might encounter an example. Fantastic pictures of each example talked about. He does mot mention or cite references too much like academic studies do-- its a more off the top of his head based on his military experience with all of these pistols. I like all his personal comments, encounters, & stories on how he learned about and found examples of the pistols. Like I said it is a review & survey of the communist pistols.

Zeliard
United States of America

#8 Post by Zeliard » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:38 pm

Does it mention that Bulgarian pink paper 7.62x25 that had a lot of cracks and such?
Proud alumni of Transylvanian Polygnostic University. "Know enough to be afraid."

"Vertroue in God en die Mauser".-Faith in God and the Mauser.

"Send lawyers, guns and money." -Warren Zevon

72 usmc
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#9 Post by 72 usmc » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:54 am

Screen Shot 2018-06-23 at 12.19.05 AM.png

There is no mention of the pink wrapped Bulgarian 1950s 7.62x25 Tok ammo. His ammo section is short and is found on pages 149-151. Layman does mention the Czech machine gun Tok ammo used in the Cz 52 on pages 64 & 65. There is no mention of the out of spec 1982 Romanian Tok ammo after I did a second look. See this information on the pink Bulgarian:
https://www.ar-15.co/threads/3082-some- ... know-about
also see https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=63526

I have never seen any of this stuff. Most have had experience with the oversize brass 1982 Romanian where the shooter had to fit each round into a tok chamber to see if they fit and the Polish Tok ammo that had splits right out of the package. Other Polish batches split after firing. With the Romanian ammunition, most of the 82 stuff fit, but one or as many as 4-5 out of each box did not fit the chamber on some tins that came from AIM years ago. If I remember correct, Todd had some problems with the stuff too. All other years of Romanian is excellent ammo. All those old posts are lost in the Great Extinction of the forum. My Czech Tok ammo is hot and only used if I want to shoot up steel pipe. Best used in a CZ 52, continual use in a Tokarev beats up the pistol. If you need to shoot through a solid wood door, it is perfect to use. :lol:
The ammo section is a weak spot and was not a serious contribution in Layman's book--- more of an after thought.

Return to “Books and Literature”