Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

SOME THOUGHTS ON ACCURACY & OTHERS

OLDGUNNER1
United States of America

Re: SOME THOUGHTS ON ACCURACY & OTHERS

#466 Post by OLDGUNNER1 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:59 pm

DSC_0052.JPG
DSC_0005.JPG
TRIVIA -- A selfie 15 years ago of my better half and me before I lost 40 pounds. It was a Xmas picture. She is such a good cook. And she and my exwife are the best of friends.

And one of her apple trees that she babies - just today she picked about the 5th bushel from the two.

I seem to be the only one using the Trivia section, huh?

OLDGUNNER1
United States of America

#467 Post by OLDGUNNER1 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:37 pm

TRIVIA - -Why not...https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=re ... &FORM=IGRE

A regular knife maker calls rebar a garbage steel...BUT, there is a grade of rebar that is 1% carbon and 1% is considered an ideal carbon content for a knife blade...and one doesn’t need a full blown forge to make one. Four or five rocks or bricks and a 1 dollar hair dryer from a thrift store is all that is needed. A few years ago a fellow gave me a bunch of the scrap one and two foot ends of the 1%. But the new 16 foot bar is only less than 10 dollars. Nice looking handles can be put on them.

OLDGUNNER1
United States of America

#468 Post by OLDGUNNER1 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:14 pm

NON TRIVIAL TRIVIA STUPIDITY --

Stupidity is here to stay, we can’t get away from it. It’s here, it’s there, it’s everywhere. One could write forever of it in every area of life. Just this morning I was reminded of this on the news...We are to set our clocks back an hour this Sunday. Yes, there are some that think that this ‘Day light Savings Time’ is a proper way to go, but I think that the majority of the people do not agree and so why do we do it? I can think of only one reason, stupidity. I think that there is enough of this to go around, starting with the people...we sell our souls to elected people to do the right things for us. The media wants us to think that Quid Pro Quo is a bad thing, I think that the news media is just another unfortunate result of the general planned ‘Dumbing Down’ of the people’. The whole essence of life is Quid Pro Quo, everything, EVERYTHING, “I will do something for you if you do something for me.” “I will pay you or do something for you, if you do something for me.” Even if some think that they are doing something out of generosity, this will just be a matter of one fooling another.

A example of this is the US and its foreign aid to other countries... it is all Quid Pro Quo. Most of our foreign aid has the stipulation that we will get back something for it. Now just how well this is watched and controlled is often overlooked...what the heck, it is not our money, so what if some of it ends up in peoples personal foreign bank accounts. We are just concerned with how much we can syphon off for ’ourselves’.

One of the primary stipulations in our foreign aid to other countries is that all of the money shall be spent on products and services that ‘we will provide’. This is a way of taking our tax payer’s money and letting it get into the pockets of our ‘Big businesses’. Big Business’s lobbyist’s money is ‘BiG’, and effective.

This I saw on the news this morning...it looked like a residential street with a curve. I don’t know how it was caught on a camera. But an oncoming car was driving in the middle of the street on this curve as a bicycle rider was approaching from the opposite direction also riding in the middle of the street, they couldn’t have collided more directly than they did. My immediate thought was of Charles Darwin and his thoughts on the ‘Survival of the fittest’. I shudder when I see bicyclists riding in traffic that think that they have their ‘rights’, when sooner or later they will have their real ‘Rites’.

I have often thought that there should be a ‘High School’ class called ‘Common Sense’ or ‘Logic’.

OLDGUNNER1
United States of America

#469 Post by OLDGUNNER1 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:33 am

JUST MORE TRIVIA...
https://www.bing.com/images/search?view ... te-016.jpg

Quartzsite, Arizona...once a year they have this Flea Market. We were there one time with our RV and it was said that there were one million RV’s there at that time. A million of anything is a bunch.

OLDGUNNER1
United States of America

#470 Post by OLDGUNNER1 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:01 am

Scan.BMP.jpg
attachment=0]Scan-001.BMP.jpg[/attachment]

RAMBLING TRIVIA - A sweet little girl...
Attachments
Scan-001.BMP.jpg

OLDGUNNER1
United States of America

#471 Post by OLDGUNNER1 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:44 am

thTJCJT8JW.jpg
thTJCJT8JW.jpg (55.03 KiB) Viewed 1741 times
x
th.jpg
th.jpg (14.28 KiB) Viewed 1741 times
TRIVIA - Remember when I mentioned this? It took them a long time to change it. The town of Hope, Arizona. As I say about the school systems.

OLDGUNNER1
United States of America

#472 Post by OLDGUNNER1 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:52 am

Scan.BMP (2).jpg
TRIVIA - We have heard jokes about one killing their wives this way - maybe he did it just this way. After fourteen it may have worked. That is I on the far right.

OLDGUNNER1
United States of America

#473 Post by OLDGUNNER1 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:40 am

TRIVIA - I am getting more than ten years out of my watch battery. I checked it at ten years and it had about the voltage of a new cell and here it is about thirteen years old. It is a TIMEX with the built in dial light with the large sized battery...but...I don't use the light.

OLDGUNNER1
United States of America

#474 Post by OLDGUNNER1 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:13 pm

Scan.BMP.jpg
CURRENT TRIVIA -

Mexico travel...this is the last time that I have been to Mexico...Mazatlan a couple of times and I didn't really feel at ease then, early 80's, and I haven't been back since. One time I was there during Spring Break and went out on a fishing boat with two younger girls and after they saw me land the first one, they didn't want to try so I landed the three. One didn't get into the picture. It was one fish per person. The other one was a Dolphin Fish - we had it for dinner that night at the hotel.

I could say that of all the places that I have been, Mexico would be the one place that I would not care to revisit.

OLDGUNNER1
United States of America

#475 Post by OLDGUNNER1 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:29 pm

Scan.BMP.jpg
Scan.BMP.jpg (34.89 KiB) Viewed 1457 times
TRIVIA – Grade 7...Actually the one room schools worked better than the regular, because they had better teachers in those days. it is just terrible what has been done to the education systems here in the US. That is I in the back row, far left. My next year was the last year for the country one-room schools in the county.

It was on the news just the other day where California had the lowest rating for their schools math programs. In 1957 a friend of mine was a sixth grade school teacher in Oxnard, California and he just started teaching the multiplication tables. In my third grade the teacher had a requirement that we all know them to go to her fourth grade. When I moved to LA in 56 there was no math required in the pubic school systems after the eighth grade. This is all up to the school systems, the school teachers...’and’ the parents. Now the parents don’t care, not enough to matter. The truth is that the parents subconsciously, whether they realize it or not, do not want their children to be smarter than them and in general they are just happy enough to let the the public school do whatever they wish with their children. They have more important things to do than help their children with their futures. Not very many parents help with what classes that their children take in high school, I know mine didn’t. It was I that decided that I wanted to take Algebra, Geometry, Chemistry, Physics and Trigonometry in high school not them. It was I that decided that I wanted to go to college, not them. I joined the Air Force after high school and then used the GI Bill to go to college...they did not pay one penny for that. And now-a-days, parents pay for colleges for their children to take ‘Art History’, ‘Parks and Recreation’, and other basket weaving courses just so that they can say that they sent their kids to college. Do they work in these areas after college, of course not?

Right here, right now, some of the high school graduates can not get into the military because their test scores are not high enough...Do the parents care, of course not? Some of the school systems are on a ‘four- day’ school week...and it has been said that if this works out okay, they will go to a ‘three-day’ school week.

In Denver right now they can’t get enough workers to keep the Buses and Intra City rail systems on schedule. That is what they keep saying on the news... because the Welfare Checks and Food Stamps systems are working so good. A lady told my wife that she gets so much money in welfare that she doesn’t now what to do with it all. That is true, that is what she said. Just like the high school kid told me...their classes are just like a ‘play-time’.

Just last week the state Amendment elections passed a moratorium on charter schools, we can’t have things like this, where our kids can have a chance with some better schools.

Yes, how can the one-room schools, with one teacher, nine grades, with 45 minutes per grade per day be better than one whole day with a teacher? Easy, been there, done that.

Whoever gets the credit for saying it, it couldn’t be more true, https://www.bing.com/search?q=everyone% ... BED8D1122B

OLDGUNNER1
United States of America

#476 Post by OLDGUNNER1 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:17 pm

Scan.BMP.jpg
TRIVIA – Could be a bit of overload for a 90 cc bike. No it was not staged, it was just a Tricycle going by.

OLDGUNNER1
United States of America

#477 Post by OLDGUNNER1 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:15 pm

TRIVIAL TRIVIA - -

It can be said that it is hard to teach old dogs new tricks. I find this to be more or less true, even with young dogs. I have never been able to teach any dog to smile for a picture for me. I will admit to be lacking in this teaching ability. But I have been able to teach our old dog some math...I can lay out three 'Milk Bones' and she understands that she can have one, two or three. And bark one, two or three times.

OLDGUNNER1
United States of America

#478 Post by OLDGUNNER1 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:09 am

DSC_0056.JPG
TRIVIAL TRIVIA...IN PASSING...

A bullet water trap – Can be very useful for testing in a lot of areas. A plain wooden box lined with plastic made from scrap wood, chip-wood or whatever...with an outside piece of plastic covering the hole to keep the water from coming out, at first with a splash.
1. For determining the quality and results of, for example of Powder Coating of bullets and different coatings.
2. For determining a proper cast bullet hardness and size for a given bore.
3. For determining energies of given loadings of given bullets compared to another loading. For this lines separated by one inch may be drawn on bottom of box and just see how much further bullets may have traveled in the water. For example different reloading manual results will vary with different loading pressures, etc. Within proper reasoning one can use this to help determine safe loadings with just this distance of travel in the water.
4. Another use can be to use this to tell the more ideal ratios of a given Charcoal and a given type of Potassium Nitrate used in Making Black Powder rather than just saying it will come out 75 parts Potassium Nitrate and 15 parts charcoal, which is impossible to say correctly. This proper ratio has to be determined empirically with each batch of powder. It can only be determine properly by empirically means and not mathematically, which is what I plan to do.

OLDGUNNER1
United States of America

#479 Post by OLDGUNNER1 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:51 pm

Scan.BMP.jpg
TURKEY SEASON TRIVIA – For what it’s worth...

Turkey Chokes can be put on Shot Guns, yes, but....there is a much more economical and useful alternative to these. I have played with these, they work. And usually as I have found that for me, they are usually used only but for a few shots once a year. I really got the idea from an old HERTER’S catalog years ago. I didn’t buy any from him but just started experimenting with regular plastic shot shell wads and Scotch Tape.

I think that most Shot Gun owners never bother to pattern their shot guns. When I was a teen ager we lived on a lake in Northern Minnesota and I did this, not really on paper but on the water and the plastic wads had not come out then, and I was not into shot-shell reloading until later with the LEE Shot-Shell Reloder for 9.95 in say 1960 but later I used various little plastic cups to look for that tighter-patterning.

Fast forward to say the 70’s and then to 25 years ago. I have perfected, for me, a very useful method of getting a tighter range of tighter shot-shell pattering with the same gun. And this is to just use regular Plastic Wads and use Scotch Tape to tape up the slits in them to whatever I wish. I found that it really helps a lot to see what I was getting on my ‘Gift Wrapping paper test pattering. And on how easy it is to bend a barrel with a 2 x 4 to get it to pattern as pointed. I know Perazzi will sell one a 50,000 dollar shot gun where they have done this for them, well, lapped the double barrels.

In other words I can use my Skeet Guns to use for the head shots on the turkey. Funny thing...around here they used to sell what they called a turkey feeder...either battery operated or AC and it would spread out some feed at preprogramed intervals which was illegal to do of course but, they forgot to make it illegal to sell these, until recently.

OLDGUNNER1
United States of America

#480 Post by OLDGUNNER1 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:43 pm

TRIVIA – Gun Stock finishing....I just watched a ‘HOW IT’S MADE’ program on ‘Fine Shot Guns’. It just said in one short statement...”Stock is finished with Linseed Oil with a hardener.“ This problem has been around with me since I was a kid. I could never get Linseed Oil to harden. There must be just some simple additive now-a-days to do this, but as far as I am concerned it is a well kept secret. Even some professional stock makers don’t have a quick and simple answer to this. There are 100 and one different concoctions and recipes out there but the only one that I have come across that does the better job is ‘LINSPEED OIL’, and the price of that has risen to well, 80 a pint. It seems that I have tried 99 of those 101. With additives to linseed oil and other vehicles they can now be called varnishes. I have found a quick and reasonable product like this is “FORMBY’S”. But I think that this is just a little bit of Linseed Oil, and Tung Oil in their make-up ‘Varnish’...which I can live with, no problem. But isn’t there just a single hardening agent out there that can be added to ‘Linseed oil’?

Here is something but what the heck is it? I have boiled the dickens out regular Linseed Oil and have never been able to come up with anything. Now I haven’t tried bubbling air through hot linseed oil...I wonder if it may be that simple? FORMBY’S does have a darkened color. AND, I just saw where Walmart wants 49 $ a pint for their FORMBY’S.

“The processes just described, if carried out in the dark, occupy some weeks, but they may be hastened by means of several different agents. For instance, by heat - that is, by raising the temperature. It is a general law that the rate of chemical action increases proportionately with rise in temperature. Thus the higher the temperature at which the linseed oil absorbs oxygen, the more rapid does the action become. It is on this fact that the very old process of varnish-making by boiling raw linseed oil rests. The oil, heated in open vessels up to a fairly high temperature (200° C. or more) absorbs oxygen rapidly, while at the same time, principally through the overheating of the sides of the vessels used, some brown decomposition products, which give the varnish a dark colour, are formed. If the heating be stopped when the oil is in its second stage of oxidation, a product is obtained which, though still fluid, has acquired the property of absorbing with great rapidity the small amount of oxygen still needed to render it solid. Oil thus treated dries, therefore, much more quickly than raw oil, and is used when quick drying is of importance; it is known as linseed oil varnish. However, along with the advantage of quick drying, its dark colour constitutes a drawback.
But this discoloration, being due to excessive and unequal heating, can be avoided by conducting the operation of limited oxidizing at a moderately high temperature (say 100° to 150° C). It may, too, be hastened by passing a stream of air through the heated oil. In this way, not only is discoloration avoided, but the oil is actually bleached, and a nearly colourless varnish produced. If the treatment be stopped at the right moment, a sufficiently fluid varnish is obtained, while if the process is carried farther, viscous and almost solid products are formed. Naturally this mode of preparing the varnish takes more time, owing to the lower temperature employed, than the old boiling process, but the product is much better”.

Return to “Fun Facts and Trivia”