Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

SOME THOUGHTS ON ACCURACY & OTHERS

OLDGUNNER1
United States of America

Re: SOME THOUGHTS ON ACCURACY & OTHERS

#436 Post by OLDGUNNER1 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:17 pm

TRIVIA -

I sure thank you for those kind words from a fellow Iowaon. It was before your time but it was in 1949 that we, the school, won the Iowa State Basketball State Championship in Iowa City by beating Forest Lake. And it was all because of the Coach using a ‘Slow Break’. At the time there were no time clock rules to the contrary. I think that USC, University of Southern California later hired him as their Basketball Coach.
Thanks again.

OLDGUNNER1
United States of America

#437 Post by OLDGUNNER1 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:48 am

TRIVIA – 11 pm, 9,11

This is not trivial ...At least over a half dozen times today on the TV I heard this woman say, “We saw the best of humanity and the worst of humanity on the same day.” She was referring to her stop over in Gander, Newfoundland that 30 some passenger planes made rather than proceed on to the US on that day. When she said,”...the best of humanity...”, she was saying something that I can equate to 100% and do believe 110%. The best of humanity really has meaning. I have worked in and visited I think 13 or so countries and spent over two years in Newfoundland, 53-55. And I don’t think that there can be a place in our world with nicer people than Newfoundland. Now I realize that one can not understand this with out living there for a while. I doubt if there is another place where people just leave their homes, vehicles and businesses unlocked as just a way of life. It just doesn’t occur to them to have a need to lock-up anything. In over my two years there I never lived or slept behind a locked door. I never locked my vehicle. I remember seeing where there were 175 inmates in the Newfoundland Provincial Prison at one time. Think about that, for the whole Island. There were towns of say 5000 with a much larger area with two or three Canadian Mounted Police. It was common for towns of less then that to have no police. I was in a Mounty office one time and one came it to work with his spurs on, took them off and hung them on a hat rack. He was dressed in his immaculate red wool uniform...nothing but pure pride. It was just a pleasure to be around them and talk with them. Can many people in other countries say that? I visited a county one time where the business philosophy translated to English was, “To deceive is divine, to be honest is folly.” And this went for your business partner, even if they were your brother. And by all means a business customer. They just couldn’t slept good at night unless they cheated a customer. Try to understand this...after bargaining with a seller of an item and settling on a price, and then say okay, I will take two, and the lady says, oh no we have to bargain for the second one...I didn’t think so.

Anyway, yes, that is true about Newfoundland and not the least bit trivial.
Last edited by OLDGUNNER1 on Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OLDGUNNER1
United States of America

#438 Post by OLDGUNNER1 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:21 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJCKvpg6WTg

TRIVIA -

Okay....for the rest of the story....My first year there the air field was fogged in until June, yes, we never saw the sun until June. The planes could take off only when the visibility was at least a half a mile, and it could have been a month for that to happen for a short time.

OLDGUNNER1
United States of America

#439 Post by OLDGUNNER1 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:15 pm

TRIVIA -

Something that I saw about Newfoundland and Labrador crime...can one imagine two homicides in one year – they knew each other. Heck, when I lived in LA one year there were 900 and some homicides and that was in the late 50’s before the gang killings. And I saw where Chicago was averaging four shootings a weekend. You betcha, there is a difference.

Severe crime soaring in N.L.

The Crime Severity Index gives more weight to more severe crimes," said Johnston.
"For example, a homicide is weighted more heavily than causing a disturbance. So if you have two homicides in our jurisdiction, and the year before you had no homicides, that's going to have a significant impact on the crime severity index."

Johnston said two homicides in 2010 — the killings of Doug Flynn, 19, and Ann Marie Shirran, 32, helped raise those percentages.

OLDGUNNER1
United States of America

#440 Post by OLDGUNNER1 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:04 pm

TRIVIA – This-n-That, Hit-n-Miss...

Anything that I may say and any opinion that I may have is strictly just my thoughts at this time realizing that no one knows anything for sure, even their birthday or their name. My grandmother said that my mother was born on a certain date. Her Birth Certificate from Weeping Water, Nebraska in 1915 says one day difference. And of course it is not uncommon for names on Birth Certificates to be different than what a person my think that their name really is, spelling being a common difference.

With that said, I pretty well know, can think, when I see where some one says that this is the ‘best’ or ‘best way’, that the best has not been found yet and right away I may think that the person may have more than a bucket full of bum-dope to pass around.

On the boat fire, Lithium Batteries are still being mentioned. Yes, Lithium Batteries are subject to blowing up without notice but usually after being mistreated, but not necessarily. It has been said that they can blow up by looking at them cross-eyed. And this can be true...’if’ the battery decides to blow up at this same time. But practically speaking, I can not understand the chances of a Lithium Battery exploding and causing such a spontaneous fire such as this one without some kind of other fuel source such as a propane gas leak at the same time, but what are the chances of that happening? I can just imagine with 34 people on the boat with at least one mistreating Lithium Ion batteries at some charging station. Here at home I never leave a battery charger on over night.

I recall an incident in California when I lived there, of a Fire Inspector of doing such a bang-up job of determining the causes of fires...until it was discovered that he was setting the fires.

The attached picture is a battery charger that I cobbled up from three Chinese subassemblies 15 years go, with a total cost of 6 dollars. I can safely charge any rechargeable battery with it that I know of from a hearing aid rechargeable battery to a vehicle size battery. Now I realize that if I would charge a vehicle type lead-acid battery with this that I would being internally destroying it at the same time because of spontaneously causing the lead plate sulfphation, different problem. Or...I can destroy any Lithium Ion battery that I have, with it. If I were to charge them too quickly and cause them to heat up before they opened internally they could explode, or just smoke if I didn’t charge them too fast. So far I have not harmed any of the Lithium Cells that I have and that is a bunch. I just look at the physical size of it and determine a good charging rate.

On pulse-chargers for batteries...they work great and are very good for Lead-Acid type batteries. They tend to reduce the normal sulfphation that occurs in the Lead-Acid types, and some are good for some types of Ni-Cad cells. But as far as I know or think not one bit good for Lithium Ion types. But the development of batteries are constantly being improved so I don’t know about that either. And all Pulse Battery Chargers are not created equal. There are 25 $ ones and all the way up. It really is so simple to build a good one, but of course anything can be simple if one knows how. I could devote a whole story to Vehicle batteries.

Lithium batteries are here to stay because of such storage of so much energy in such a small package and holding that charge. One time over 10 years ago there was an ad in a dollar store flyer, Cell Phones for 5 and 10 dollars. I bought 3 of the 5 dollar ones and one of the 10 dollar one just for the 911 emergency calling. The 10 dollar one was a Flip type with a camera. And, and...I have made just one call with each, to the 911 dispatcher with a test call. And I have one right in front of me with one in each of two vehicles, and the battery charge level is still about 80 % on this one.

Car Alternators: These are typically 3 phase AC Generators with 6 diodes and there is no pulse charging with these but they put out so much current that they will allow a typical car battery to last what 4 years or longer before it sulphates to death, except for a Wal-Mart battery. These are purposely made to not last too long and it is not because of sulphation. The 75 month warrantee is a come-on, an advertisement ploy because they know that most battery failures will probable occur some where on the road other than near a Wal-Mart store, and a new battery is usually bought somewhere else with the old Wal-Mart battery turned in and the warrantee is only good if one purchases another Wal-Mart battery anyway. I don’t think one can get any kind of rebate unless it is on the purchase of a new Wal-Mart Battery.

Anyway on Alternators, they usually fail when one of the 6 diodes fail, burn open, and its pair, will fail very soon afterwards. The weakest diode will fail first. And Mexico gets to rebuild most of these Alternators by replacing these two diodes and cleaning them up, and your friendly Mechanic gets to charge whatever for the replacement. My son told me one time that he paid 1400 dollars for an alternator replacement on a little Ford. And I said why in the world would you do such a thing. He said well, when he bought it new, the warrantee had the stipulation that all rework had to be done by the Dealership for the warrantee to remain in effect. What a deal. Now if he had wanted to and took the time, he could have changed the two diodes for a cost of 1.50 per diode and the Dealership would have never known about it. Or he could have had the neighborhood mechanic just change the alternator for 200 dollars and the the Dealership would not have known about it...but that is different story. He owned and ran a security business and had bought three of these Fords.

Diodes and Magnavox: In the late 50’s I work for Magnavox Research Labs and we were building memory banks for the Sage Project. Each one was of small truck size with a zillion diodes in each. The pictures of them can be seen on the web by looking at the pictures of the Sage Project. They are the tan colored things with the telephones on the ends. Anyway each diode had to be checked for proper operation. I designed and built a semi automatic diode checker for the last of these memory banks. It was ‘Semi’ because it was simple and the diode had to placed in the checker by hand. Now-a-days of course diodes are make from scratch and packaged and never touched by human hands. And they were full of Grasshopper Fuses. Grasshopper Fuses are still used today.

Three of these banks were made by Magnavox at the time and when they were finished they were put into a railway box car in the middle of the night and sealed with two FBI guys inside. And went from LA to the east coast and then the box car was unsealed. That would have been a ride to remember. I’ll bet that they used their Boy Scout training.

I remember seeing home made diodes used in home made radio receivers – easy to make.

I’ll try to attach a photo of these memory banks. Click on this attachment and then on the Blue, ‘AN/FSQ-7’ in the second paragraph. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semi-Auto ... nvironment
See the 4 story block house on the right, there were 40 of those as part of the system, around in the US.

In March of 55 I was in the Air Force and volunteered to go to Baffin Island as the first of the DEW LINE sites were being built. These sites fed the inputs to the SAGE Computer. I was never part of any of the operation of the system, just the maintenance of the electronics.

For a more in-depth view of the SAGE System, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06drBN8nlWg

And Wal-Mart use to be spelled this way. Anyway until later.
Attachments
DSC_0006.JPG
DSC_0005.JPG

OLDGUNNER1
United States of America

#441 Post by OLDGUNNER1 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:39 pm

TRIVIA – Repeated

https://www.bing.com/search?q=The%20DEW ... 39D5BDC72E

When I first arrived there, the DEW LINE sites consisted of a tent, a two barrel oil stove and two Canadians. I think that most went in by Dog Sled.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_DEW_Line_Sites

This is a list of the sites but at least one is missing, I know because I was there and the only one there at the time and piled up some lumber and set afire at night to help stay warm. I saw a picture of the site one time on the web.

OLDGUNNER1
United States of America

#442 Post by OLDGUNNER1 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:27 am

TRIVIA – Just a short vehicle battery story...

In 1996 after my wife beat her pick up to pieces I decided to get a vehicle Dealership License for 40 dollars so I could buy one at one of the vehicle auctions in Denver where a license was required to get in. Before I could she found one she liked, a 1994 GMC Pickup with 14,000 miles on it, a lease return. It had an Optima Battery in it, and the dealership salesman said that it was made in Canada and this was one of two original equipment batteries used. But we know about what a car salesman may say. Anyway, she has put over 100,000 on it and it runs like the day it was made. She makes sure that the oil is changed every 3,000 to 3,500 miles and a year ago I changed all of the radiator and heater hoses and fan belt for security. And tested the battery with a load tester....For what that was worth, it tested over 90 %. This battery was over 14 years old then and still has no signs of giving up.

Optima batteries have no loose water in them and Walmart sells them at a reduced price and as well as some Sam Stores – They are expensive but the only kind that I will ever have. One has their choice for vehicles of Red Top or Yellow Top.

Hey, I have seen where some are having trouble posting photos. I had trouble with this and I am willing to try to help if anyone may wish it through the private posting – no guarantees.

OLDGUNNER1
United States of America

#443 Post by OLDGUNNER1 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:29 pm

TRIVIA – My Bad...

When I said that the three cell phones that I had bought over ten years ago and still retained over 80 % of their battery charge was mistakenly an untruth. I have found out that my wife had recharged this one in the house. The two that I had left in the vehicles were down to about a third of their charge. But they have been very mistreated, subjected to temperatures as low as 20 to 30 degrees below to whatever over 100 in a hot glove compartment. But I do have various Lithium Ion Battery operated devices here that have retained their charges for very long times.

Sorry for any misleading...

A quick battery story....I was taken to a Good-Will store one time and saw these portable battery operated drill motors for sale on a half-price day. They were two dollars and I bought all that was there. They were all good except for the battery packs, They had one or two bad cells in each which I replaced.

And there were these computer power interrupt battery operated supplies that people throw away when they find out the cheap Gel-Cell batteries in them have failed after maybe four years and can cost up to fifty dollars to replace...I bought all of those that was there for 2$ each. All were good also. I drained out half the fluid of an 18 $ Walmart small regular Lead-Acid utility battery and replaced that with distilled water. I have one setting here operating my computer that I expect to last the rest of my life. This will only work if one does not live in a colder climate and the house is not heated though out the winters.

My High School Chear...Onward upward is our fate, in 51 we graduate.

OLDGUNNER1
United States of America

#444 Post by OLDGUNNER1 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:39 pm

TRIVIA – Amazing trivia I think...

With these 10 year old 5 dollar cell phones...the dates and times are correct, the times the best that I can tell are within 3 or 4 seconds and I do not know how correct that I set them in the first place. Our civilian time comes from Boulder, Colorado. I will assume that these Cell Phones do not adjust for the ‘Leap Second’ years, of course not. And there have been probable at least three of these in the past ten years. These are due to the friction of the liquid core of the earth slushing around and the friction with the earth’s surface and our atmosphere, so they say. They have wrist watches with Boulder time updates for just. a few dollars, now that is technology, a little receiver in them via satellite.

One time I was taking a micro-chip repair class and the instructor showed me how use a regular four function calculator to make a Chronograph for measuring Bullet Velocity. With just two wires coming out of it for the ‘Start-Stop’ of the internal clock and the read out on the calculator...which I have duly forgotten, just the lapse time with the conversion of this to the actual velocity extra.

Our civilian time and our military time are different. Remember the old song with, “If you have two clocks, you don’t know what time it is.” Well this is absolutely correct. we never really know for sure what time it may be. We just round time off to the nearest second. It is just ‘Here is the time we are giving you’, just accept it and shut up, so long as everyone is using the same time we can get along and we get along with the little difference between the Civilian and Military times.

Some info on the military time...https://www.oc.nps.edu/oc2902w/gps/gpsacc.html

When I was working in Guam a side job that I had was giving the US Navy the Military time. I spent about 15 minutes every work day morning in doing this. Notice the difference between the L1 and L2 level equipment. We just had the more common L1, receiver. A 110,000 dollar receiver. https://nsidc.org/data/gla02-gla07-gla0 ... umentation

And no, I wasn’t involved with this in-depth L1 and L2 type data – Just a receiver that received the L1 layer of atmospheric reflection with my only interest being in time only.

OLDGUNNER1
United States of America

#445 Post by OLDGUNNER1 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:18 pm

DSC_0007.JPG
TRIVIA – Serious trivia....The Doctor is in.....

I see on the current news where Chocolate Milk is being banned from some schools. Stupidity is of epidemic proportions, it is rampant. Yes, the normal production of Chocolate Milk has added sugar to make it taste better. But this does not mean that it has to be used. Cocoa has been proven to be good for one’s body, a healthy food for everyone. For years I have been adding non sugar Chocolate to my milk, the Liquid non sugar type. I drink lots of it. My blood glucose level was checked the 4th of Sept. It was 102, right at normal, A1C always 6.5 to 6.8 range.

Stupidity is a choice.
Anonymous...Well not really, this is just to protect the guilty.

It sure is a good thing that there is an authorized “TRIVIA” section, huh.

OLDGUNNER1
United States of America

#446 Post by OLDGUNNER1 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:13 am

DSC_0008.JPG
TRIVIA - -

My little mods that makes these work better for me.

OLDGUNNER1
United States of America

#447 Post by OLDGUNNER1 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:32 pm

DSC_0009.JPG
TRIVIA --

Okay, on bullet lubes and lead alloys....I have never gotten into any of these favorite recipes for any. I probable have never made a batch of bullet lube the same way twice. I have never noticed any changes in accuracy of any thing that I have ever made. Now this may be do to my lack of observation or that I don’t know what I am doing, what ever, be that it may. I think that it may have do with my lapping of all bores. But I am always looking for something more simple and easy. Out of the hundred and one different concoctions, and I have tried a bunch, my two latest ones are just plain candle wax and MINWAX Polyurethane. In both cases I warm the bullets in my toaster oven, and after some experimenting I have found that 130 to 140 degrees F is working good for me, just warm enough for the excess to run off and to cover the lube grooves and set on wax paper. The reason for the candle wax is that I bought 40 pounds for a dollar. I just warm some in a Sardine can.

On the bullet casting, the only things that I have ever cast a bullet from are just plain lead for my Black Powder things, and free Wheel Weights for all others. And I will still say that the main thing in bullet accuracy is pointing the barrel in the same direction for each shot, especially for hand guns. Now for the long guns the powder load and bullet matching has to be done first for each barrel. And for everything a consistent reloading with a firm crimp for everything.

And let me repeat this hand gun accuracy story because it is a good one. One time my son came by and we went out back and he shot every gun that I had ammo for. The .22, 25 ACP and .380 were factory ammo, all the others were with my reloads, some as old as maybe 50 years. After he had shot the hand guns, I asked, “Where in the heck did you learn to shoot like that?” After two or three shots with each hand gun he was putting them into the Bull. And he said that ‘Oh, I don’t know.’ It did not make one bit of difference what kind of lube that I had used. He mentioned that he was asked to shoot in a local hand-gun shoot at an Army Base one time because he owned a Security business. And I asked, “How did you do?” And he said in his best humility, “Oh I beat them all.” Now any of you ex military types know that this is something not to be normally seen with all of those old Army Shooters...shooting their guns and ammo. And, and...no one is going to convince me that bullet lube had too much to do with this.

At the the time I asked him how many security guards that he had, and he said 275. He has since passed away but the business is still run by his surviving wife and daughter – just the two of them. Actually his wife had started the business with just one security guard and now they want to sell it but are finding it hard because it is so big.

Anyway, that’s my lube and lead trivia for now.

OLDGUNNER1
United States of America

#448 Post by OLDGUNNER1 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:51 pm

Scan.BMP.jpg
TRIVIA - 1991

Can one imagine the size of the explosion...This is from Clark AFB, Philippines...Mount Pinatubo was about 10 miles away. I was 17 miles to the left at the time. It looks like the one picture may have been taken a couple of seconds after and the other maybe 10 seconds later. It destroyed the base.
The US just walked away.
Scan-001.BMP.jpg

OLDGUNNER1
United States of America

#449 Post by OLDGUNNER1 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:25 pm

Scan.BMP.jpg
TRIVIA – 1975

A fruit store in an ally in Yokosuka, Japan. Yen was 142 to 1 dollar US. The 4000 Yen cantaloupe was $28.17. The 6000 Yen cantaloupe was $42.25. The next day I asked a local fellow, What’s with these 42 dollar cantaloupe? He said, “Oh, they were just cheap ones.” Can one venture a guess why?

OLDGUNNER1
United States of America

#450 Post by OLDGUNNER1 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:44 pm

Scan.BMP.jpg
TRIVIA – Back Yard

When one talks nice to a bear, they understand.
Scan-001.BMP.jpg

Return to “Fun Facts and Trivia”