SOME THOUGHTS ON ACCURACY & OTHERS

OLDGUNNER1

Re: SOME THOUGHTS ON ACCURACY & OTHERS

Post by OLDGUNNER1 »

Cattus Borealis wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:47 pm Interesting stories!

Ever think to write a book for posterity?
Oh heck, I could fill a book with just unbelievable things...so unbelievable I just couldn't say them.
OLDGUNNER1

Post by OLDGUNNER1 »

We were living just a block down the street from the top photo...which is the bottom photo in the taller concrete apartment building in the upper rtght. The sun was completely blocked out for 48 hours. No. most people don't see things like this. And a lot didn't live through it. The atomic bomb of Hiroshima didn't do this kind of damage 17 miles away. There were 30 babies in the maternaty ward of the local hospital and all were killed. Some placed it at 10 times the power of Mt.St. Hellen's blast.
Attachments
Scan-007.jpg
Scan-007.jpg (163.11 KiB) Viewed 2109 times
OLDGUNNER1

Post by OLDGUNNER1 »

Scan-009.jpg
Scan-009.jpg (162.81 KiB) Viewed 2104 times
Okay. let me give you some ‘Believe it or not’ for you state siders...When I first arrived in the Philippines in December, 1966, three days after I arrived, a new to me co worker had just come back from the northern Philippines after an investigation into a Navy F4 air craft that had engine trouble and both crew members bailed out safely, and the local people had them for dinner. My coworker told me that they had the PC with them, the Philippine Constabulary, which is the equivalent to our FBI. And the PC just told them that they have been living like this forever and there was nothing to do about it. And some believed that the last cannibals were on the island of New Guinea and Michael Rockefeller was chow for some. And then I found out in 1967 that the Philippine Government allowed some head hunting north of Bagio. The Navy special services at Subic Bay Naval Station would not let any one rent a special services vehicle to go north of Bagio doing the ‘Fire Tree Season’. What this meant was that normally with the people that far north it was customary for the father’s of brides-to-be to require a head from the future husband to show that he was worthy of his daughter. Then some where along the way it was a compromise with the Government to allow head hunting only during the Fire Tree Season...this was the time that the Fire Tree was in bloom with its red blooms, because there had to be some time that people could get married. I was there at this time, during the Fire Tree Season in 1967 until September. Years later I drove to Banaue to see just how it was. I have no idea how it is now. The post card photo is of the Banaue Rice Terraces.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banaue_Rice_Terraces

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=th ... &FORM=VDRE

lt looks like this has been changed.
OLDGUNNER1

Post by OLDGUNNER1 »

Scan-010.jpg
Scan-010.jpg (78.88 KiB) Viewed 2102 times
Here is one...where do you think that this is? Notice the US flag and extra shots fired.
OLDGUNNER1

Post by OLDGUNNER1 »

Scan-011.jpg
Scan-011.jpg (56.97 KiB) Viewed 2101 times
Three other coworkers and myself were in India one time.
OLDGUNNER1

Post by OLDGUNNER1 »

Scan-012.jpg
Scan-012.jpg (98.44 KiB) Viewed 2100 times
Do any of you exsailors or marines recognize this street?
OLDGUNNER1

Post by OLDGUNNER1 »

Scan-013.jpg
Scan-013.jpg (53.46 KiB) Viewed 2099 times
Ever rides these intra city railways in the Philippines?
OLDGUNNER1

Post by OLDGUNNER1 »

Scan-014.jpg
Scan-014.jpg (136.74 KiB) Viewed 2076 times
Okay...Yamashita’s gold...You British types should be familiar with this – he killed so many British and Australians...in Singapore and Hong Kong and was hanged in Manila for it. In Thailand they put clay around it to disguise it. I was in the Philippines when part of it was found, around 60 some thousand pounds of it. President Marcus had the fellow that found it killed and confiscated it. Melted it all to remove any ownership markings and shipped it to banks in Switzerland, or so it was said. His widow has been trying get it every since he died. She said he didn’t steal it, he just liked to collect gold.
This post card of this 20 ton gold Buda is in Bangkok...I saw it with no security guards around it – maybe they were secure. But here is the story. One of the stories that I was told that it is an alloy of unknown...whatever.

And the exact amount of gold collected duing this time is without good records probable. I did take a tour of the gold mine at Bagio which at the time was said to be the second largest in Asia. With 40,000 workers and 10,000 under ground around the clock, and at the time was working at 4,000 feet below the surface with temperatures of 120 to 130. Rough job with 12 hour shifts. Oh, not at those hot spots.

By the way, when I was in Russia the world market price for gold was 75 $ an ounce and in Russia the going price for gold was 29 $...so that Ferry that I rode on made a gold run to Japan once a week ?????. Gold can be a funny thing - recall all of that gold that Hitler had in his caves that he couldn't buy war supplies with. A similar thing with Yamashito's gold that he started to collect at the beginning of the war and was never shipped to Japan. Russia has more gold than the rest of the world, but it is the not the richest county.

The science of things like this and war are not the most clearest of things

Why did we use the B-17's in WW2 with a bomb load of 4,000 pounds while the British Lancasters carried 22,000?

https://www.bing.com/search?q=Yamashio% ... 1FDDAC1495
OLDGUNNER1

Post by OLDGUNNER1 »

Scan-001.BMP.jpg
Scan-001.BMP.jpg (66.29 KiB) Viewed 2072 times
If one was not there, can they imagine what it was like...this is about 25 miles from the blast? I can because I was. At least a 50 mile diameter.
OLDGUNNER1

Post by OLDGUNNER1 »

Scan-001.BMP.jpg
Scan-001.BMP.jpg (67.58 KiB) Viewed 2070 times
A coworker and I bought this boat – It had a two cylinder Air Cooled Wisconsin engine in it – 200 $
OLDGUNNER1

Post by OLDGUNNER1 »

Scan-002.BMP.jpg
Scan-002.BMP.jpg (164.8 KiB) Viewed 2069 times
There were a few of these on the island of Yap – older women ran around bare breasted except on the week of ‘Micronesia Days’ when any woman could if they wished. I was talking to a bank manager that said that all of his women employees did this. Actually any woman could at any time - I have one picture to proove it but I will assume that the powers-to-be of this forum may not understand...

When I worked in Guam in the daily newspaper I saw a picture of the high school graduating class of the island of Ulithi wearing their ‘Traditional dress’...All of the girls, and boys were bare breasted. I bet none of you here have ever got to do this.
OLDGUNNER1

Post by OLDGUNNER1 »

Just some 'Off Topic rambling'

Yes, the Philippines has plenty of gold and they think ‘big’ with it – some times....https://geopolitics.co/2017/01/16/3500- ... e-benefit/...

The southern part has so much and they will kill each other for an ounce. They have the trouble of having enough guards to get it from the hills to a bank. The police does not interfere except to get their share. For a while there were some Australian's that would venture down there to pick some up but they soon learned that most didn’t leave with any and most didn’t leave at all.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ralphjenni ... c7454c25cf

When they say second largest in the world, I guess they are talking about Russia. One can’t believe all of this article, especially about the part of wanting foreign investment. They don’t need nor want foreign investment. Another case of having all that gold and can’t use it.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=videos+of ... =QBRE&sp=1

https://www.facebook.com/notes/kalapaw- ... 9030872076

I think the basic reason for not being able to equate gold to wealth is there is so much of it that if used it can't maintain a value. Look at these figures tossed around in metric tons.
OLDGUNNER1

Post by OLDGUNNER1 »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Welsh_Hemingway

Just more trivia – This house was built by Thomas Welsh, father of Mary in the late 20’s and his family moved in. This is on Welsh’s Bay of Leech Lake north of Walker, Minnesota about 4 miles. My parents bought this place in 48 and lived here until maybe...80 ish with me living here until I joined the Air Force in 52. One morning I walked 3/4 of a mile to the school bus at 62 below. And the ice on the lake was 6 feet and over in some places
Attachments
Scan-003.jpg
Scan-003.jpg (53.56 KiB) Viewed 2060 times
OLDGUNNER1

Post by OLDGUNNER1 »

Scan-006.jpg
Scan-006.jpg (45 KiB) Viewed 2057 times
RAMBLING - - -

I went to Mazatlan a couple of times – Lets see, I didn’t catch these, I just reeled them in.
OLDGUNNER1

Post by OLDGUNNER1 »

Scan-005.jpg
Scan-005.jpg (71.39 KiB) Viewed 2056 times
It's just not a party in the Philippines unless there is one of these Porkies.

Return to “Fun Facts and Trivia”