Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

SOME THOUGHTS ON ACCURACY & OTHERS

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

Re: SOME THOUGHTS ON ACCURACY & OTHERS

#136 Post by OLDGUNNER » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:52 pm

DSC01075-001.JPG
DSC01075-001.JPG (7.1 KiB) Viewed 640 times
These are just cheap burrs from eBay but can make about any bullet mold one may like...in aluminum.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#137 Post by OLDGUNNER » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:17 pm

IRONY ---- It can not be escaped....We have heard that there is no writing that can’t be made better by shortening. While this may be very true, people are a funny lot. If this literary practice was really used to any extent our libraries could be 95 % smaller....but who wants that? Most any book or article one may read is usually mostly ‘filler’ with just some useful information. How would many ‘One-Page’ books be sold?

The typical novel is popular for some. It is a way to pass time without feeling lonely. They are a special case. Some will not want to waste their time reading a novel – while some have time to waste. Ego, is a big draw for reading novels. But I for one have never been big on ego...and I sure don’t care for it in anyone. Fact is to me ego is synonymous with slag in one’s cast bullet melt – it should be ‘cast-off’. Don’t try to find out some way to use it. One can see all of time in these gun forums where some will say that certain easy ways can be used to reclaim the metals from the slag that forms on top of the their melt. Actually it usually takes a lot of energy to do this, more energy that can be usually gotten from the typical caster’s melting pot. And doing it chemically is usually too costly and time consuming also. This is why all of that lead oxide other oxides are left along in Missouri right now. We let other foreign countries reduce their lead oxide more cheaply and just buy their lead. Right here in Colorado we have the energy source to do this...I have seen estimates of the coal and oil reserves, each, in Colorado to be enough to last the US for 400 years. Right here below me there is typical 25 feet or so of coal most anywhere and just under the surface and quite often with prominent outcroppings of course. Environmentalist and politics do allow coal by the train loads 24 hours a day to leave here and be shipped to China. Even though labor cost for this mining is cheaper in China, the coal is so more easily mined here that it is cost effective for the Chinese.

Irony, irony, back to irony....see what I mean about all of the filler. I will just mention this because some may not be familiar with it....the ‘Inter Library Loan Program’. Every little local library can not have all of the available books in the US....but most can be made available and to you, and usually at no fee. All that is usually required for anyone to check out any book published in the US and a lot published outside the US, is to ask your local librarian to please have a book sent to her for your check-out, for typically two weeks, sometimes less. I have done this over a dozen times and have never had it fail.

For example one may check out a book titled, “INSTINCT SHOOTING”. And...it is 90 % filler...one could condense it into one page most effectively. Reader’s Digest has made a big business of this. In my tenth grade the English Teacher required every student to subscribe to the READER'S DIGEST.

Anyway in this book, INSTINCT SHOOTING, the author leads one to the point of shooting aspirins that are thrown into the air with a .22 rifle...and it works. It looks better when done with a .22 pistol.

But there is really nothing too bad about Irony.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#138 Post by OLDGUNNER » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:05 pm

Another thing – Levity, there is not enough levity in this world. Just think how much nicer things would be if there was more levity, instead of squabbling and fighting.

A guy went to a Captain at the Salvation Army and asked, “Do you save bad girls?” “Well yes, we do save bad girls.” “Well could you save me one for next Saturday night?”

Hey Clem, do you know what anatomy is? Well anatomy is something that everybody has but it looks better on a woman.

Come on, lighten up ---can’t there be more levity on this forum or is it outlawed?

I haven’t made it to 85 without levity – yep, 85 today.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Mashuga
United States of America

#139 Post by Mashuga » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:58 pm

Well, Happy Birthday! I hope you are posting for many more birthdays.

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#140 Post by OLDGUNNER » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:00 pm

Well thank you, thank you, Mashuga....I started out in Iowa, just north west of Ottumwa two miles.
The best to you.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#141 Post by OLDGUNNER » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:29 am

As I just said yesterday when I mentioned that some casters will say that they are reducing the tin oxides that have separated and has risen to the top of their lead alloy melt in their melting pots and then recombining with the molten lead thusly reclaiming the tin. Their typical buzz word is using ‘Flux’ to do this. Well, that is okay, this comes under ‘free speech’, but I just don’t believe it. This comes under ‘my freedom of choice’.
Look at this link on Tin Oxide reduction. https://www.jim.or.jp/journal/e/pdf3/52/09/1814.pdf I have been taught to believe something more like this – just one of the ways, but look at the temperatures required of this way. Way more than can be acquired in a regular caster’s melting pot.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#142 Post by OLDGUNNER » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:47 pm

Etc.,etc.......Hit-n-Miss... It is said that that the most common metal in the earth’s crust is Aluminum and the most widely dispersed is Uranium. As for uranium it is said that every grain of sand on earth contains some uranium, and I have no reason to not believe this...as well as every drop of water.

All of these red hills and red soil around here in the western part of the midwest is because of the iron oxides. And it is actually quite easy just to get some and make one’s own iron. Pictures of some African people making their own to make spear points and such can be seen on the web. Just one of the many things that I would like to do is to make my own iron/steel knife blade. There are places that one can just pick up iron in/from the ground – Bog iron.

And I gather that all of the bullet caster's lead use to be just plain uranium, either that or uranium oxide. And...and, of course there is some uranium in every bullet caster’s bullet, I believe.
https://www.bing.com/search?q=Africans% ... B512490F41
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#143 Post by OLDGUNNER » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:49 pm

DSC_0002-001.JPG
Oh heck, I have the stuff right here to make enough iron to make a set of spurs and a knife blade...I have my Harbor Freight Anvil and I can cheat a little and use the super market charcoal. What I can’t figure out is how to borrow some ‘Get up and go’ from a neighbor's horse. I sure could make it a lot easier than those African’s do it.

Notice how rusty my anvil is....My forge burned out a long time ago and I haven’t gotten around to making another.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#144 Post by OLDGUNNER » Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:58 pm

I didn’t know that the biggest rail making plant in Colorado is owned by the Russians. But they have all that is needed right there to crank out these rails and can compete with the Chinese makers. I have an 8 foot piece of their rail, but just like other things I haven’t gotten around to making some anvils out of it.

My first real job out of High School was on a railroad. My social Security number begins with a ‘7’. A tid-bit about railroads...can one figure out why the CG, center of gravity, on railway locomotives is higher as their design speed is higher. For example the slower ‘yard’ locomotive may have a CG of 4 feet above the rails, where a high speed main-line locomotive may have a CG of 5 and a half feet above the rails. I’ll give a hint...It is for exactly the same reason that the 320 grit is the compromise grit for a military and sporting rifle bore finish.

https://www.chieftain.com/article/20111 ... /312229941

Another thing, can one figure out just why those Bullet trains in Japan can be made to run faster than here, (more easily) ? I have ridden them and they can be scary...just knowing what could happen if one would derail in those tunnels while meeting another, with each one going 175 MPH or whatever. If one was raised in the midwest they may be able to figure this out.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#145 Post by OLDGUNNER » Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:05 pm

Ah Ha....Do you know what the Chu-Chu is for on the steam locomotive? And differently, why one usually sees only four locomotives at the most on the front of trains and if required will put one or two pushers on the rear?
Again, it is exactly for the same reason why they increase the height of the CG of the faster locomotives and choose 320 grit for rifle bores. Trivia and Fun....and levity. :evil:
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#146 Post by OLDGUNNER » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:32 pm

Now here was a major engineering Boo-Boo...the Japanese nuclear disaster of 2011...Now the reason that the 16,000 or so died was because of the perceived need of necessary housing space for people. They knew that they were in an earthquake prone area and building in a possible flood plain was not the most prudent thing to do, but people do those kinds of things all of the time around the world. But for a nuclear power plant to be built there that close to the ocean and in a spot so low was irresponsible. I can offer an explanation as to why they would do such a thing but would be so insulting so I shan’t say. Surly there were advisers that advised against it but were over ridden. I worked in Japan off and on and I feel that I have a pretty good idea why they would do this. Of course they built it so close to the ocean for the ease of getting the necessary cooling water, but why so low...I forget how far above high tide, but not high enough. Most any high school drop-out could probable realized that it was most imprudent to build it on such low ground. Well, any drop-out other than Japanese. You surplus arm collectors know how good their small arms are but I don’t think that most realize that in general they were designed by foreigners. When I first went there in 1966 their typical most high-tech steel for export was re-bar. This is nothing that was not well known at the time...they flat did not know how to make good steel. But they were way ahead of the US in Aluminum alloy making and as I understand it was the German engineers that told them about that and I have no reason to not believe this. If you remember it was Roosevelt that cut off the export of our steel and oil that prompted them to attack us. Ah, hum...it is still thought by some that this was Roosevelt's idea to get this country out of the depression. And there is plenty of proof to verify this.
And as the world turns....
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#147 Post by OLDGUNNER » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:03 pm

An article on Japanese small arms. I have never had one or messed with one...this is just for what it’s worth by one author. It seems to start out with, "They copied this and copied that." This is what Japan was noted for, copying things as I was growing up – I remember this. https://weaponsandwarfare.com/japanese-small-arms/
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#148 Post by OLDGUNNER » Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:51 pm

Section House - - I was born in a four room Railroad Section House and live with my parents in it until I was 16, although my dad had added rooms to it. It has been lived in constantly since I don’t know when. I can still see it on GOOGLE EARTH. My dad was born in a nearby one room log cabin. I went to a one-room country school with typically 30 or so students for the 9 years. I often thought just how could one teacher teach 9 grades, primary through 8th, with all of their subjects in one day. But school teaching was different in those days. The teachers of today would have no idea how to do it. In my 3rd grade everyone had to know the multiplication tables. Years later in California a 6th grade school teacher told me that he was just getting his students into the multiplication tables. Here in Pagosa right now they never learn them. They use the calculators only. In 1984 at work I was asked to show two brand new Electrical Engineers around our lab. They did not know the multiplication tables – again they said that this was all done with their calculator. And they just didn’t fit in and had to move on to some other job. When other kids were playing hooky, I would keep my mother from knowing that I was sick with some minor thing so she wouldn’t keep me home from going to school. My wife has two college degrees and does not know the multiplication tables.

The degradation of our schools are planned...the local schools here have been on a 4 and half day school week for a few years and this year some of the state has went to a 4 day school week with more planning this next year. And it has been mentioned that if this works out okay, the 3 day week is soon coming. It is so bad here that some of the high school graduates can not get into the military...because they are too darn dumb. They are pushed right on through high school no matter what they may have not learned - the system is planned that way. I have one grandson that I would buy him some educational toys and so forth just for a shot, and his mother told me one time that he was really no into education things, and boy she was not lying. He has gown up to be dumber than a two week old pile of dog crap. A grandson from my son’s side graduated from college at 20 and is now working at NASA in Fairbanks, Alaska. I did not realize that there was so much NASA activity in Alaska.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#149 Post by OLDGUNNER » Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:19 pm

I realize that my off-topics are not of much interest, but here is what may be an oddity to some....The engines of the Aircraft, SR-71 were designed to burn coal but Kelly Johnson wanted to use a clean liquid so he could use it as the hydraulic fluid as well. And he didn’t want to bother with fuel tanks so he just sectioned off parts of the airframe to fill with the fuel and he thought that it would be an extra fire hazard so he just had it made harder to ignite. The fuel would virtually just drip/run out of the plane through the skin junctions as it would heat up and contract.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#150 Post by OLDGUNNER » Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:28 pm

Coal burning jets -
I say, beware of paradigms....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CAN5nO1ag0.

I have measured the energy in coal samples. I have seen the instrument that I used on eBay – old but still usable. I think that it could be used to measure the energy in gun powder also. I haven’t done it but I will assume that it would be done the same way. One can use it to measure the energy in an apple or an ice cream sundae.

Look down to the ‘fuel’ part of - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_SR-71_Blackbird
I worked for Litton Systems as an engineer and at the time was assigned to work with Lockheed at their plant 42 at Palmdale, Calif. for two years. I worked on the basic Inertial Navigation Systems made by Litton. Now here is a funny twist – My daughter was kinda spunky and she wanted to prove that she could do the same as I, and by golly she did. She was able to join the Air Force and choose her career field. She went to the latest Inertial Navigation School which included the Astro – Inertial Navigation Systems updating that was used on the SR-71’s and was assigned to an SR-71 squadron at Beale AFB. And would travel with the SR-71’s that flew out of Kadena, Okinawa. https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=ka ... &FORM=IGRE In the third picture with the crew in front of the SR-71, she is in the picture.

Those J-58 engines were something. We lived in south Palmdale, calf. and we could hear them run on the test stands at Edwards AFB. Just look at the distance between the two. https://web.archive.org/web/20060616020 ... 6w_j58.htm

When I was kid I made a Ram Jet with alcohol fuel but it didn’t work...because I didn’t know the difference between the drug store Isopropyl alcohol and real alcohol. They are so simple to make.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Return to “Fun Facts and Trivia”