Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

BUBBA

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

BUBBA

#1 Post by OLDGUNNER » Wed May 30, 2018 1:12 pm

Just my thoughts on any ANTI-BUBBA ideas...I am allowed to have them I think. I see it all of time where one may think that it is sacrilegious to change or modify a firearm after they purchase it. I personally wonder about this. I see it as the same thing as someone buying and old uncared-for automobile and fixing it up to their hearts content, even heaven forbid, giving it a new paint job. Of course there will be some people that would tell someone that they are terrible and should not do this. If there was a ‘Go figure moment’ I think that this would be one.

One time I saw some some used guns for sale in a Cabelas’s store in Glendale, Arizona and I noticed that maybe half of them were priced at 2 to 5 thousand dollars and not one of them looked ‘ratty’. They had a good selection of old military rifles such as Mauser 98’s and 1903 Springfield’s and around 2,400 to 2,800 say. And they were all cleaned up with refinished stocks, etc.

For the heck of it, I took an M1 in to see just how they worked. They were asking maybe that much for one just about like mine. I had cleaned it up and had refinished the wood. I always think that any gun looks nicer if it is cleaned up. Yes, ‘BUBBA it up. Anyway as usually they had to point out all the bad things about mine before giving me an offer. Their two only negative points were that, OH, it was ‘old’, it had a s/n manufacture date of 1943...and it had ‘BEEN FIRED’...there were a few little red specks in the receiver that had came from the primer sealant of some GI ammo....they offered me 800 $. So much for Cabelas’s used guns.

Here is a photo of a BUBBA job....I bought it...it is mine.
DSC_0062-001.JPG
Last edited by OLDGUNNER on Wed May 30, 2018 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Ghoulardi
Ukraine

Re: BUBBA

#2 Post by Ghoulardi » Wed May 30, 2018 4:01 pm

some people really get their panties all in a bunch and are so Incensed anytime they read or see what someone does to their mil-surplus rifle. that I have to wonder, don't they have anything else going on in their pathetic life? that they have to get mad over what someone else does with their property.

a while back, I showed a certain board a cheek rest I made for my CENTURY made M-N PU scoped rifle from a picture I saw in a 1930s soviet manual. I secure the cheek rest to the stock, like it showed in the manual, I drilled a hole on the top of the stock corresponding to a hole I drilled in the bottom of the cheek rest, and used a dowel to fix it in place.

god all mighty, you though that I just raped a child from all these morons who told me that I ruined a "historical rifle". historical rifle? they made 10s of millions of these things, there is nothing "historical" about it, no one famous owned or handled it.
COOL IT WITH THE BOOM-BOOMS!! OVA-DAY!!

echo1
United States of America

#3 Post by echo1 » Wed May 30, 2018 4:04 pm

I have a somewhat similar perspective. Recently I picked up 3 Bubbafized rifles, and built a couple more.
A '70 Albanian SKS that the furniture was nicely redone, looked reblued too. Seller said it was "restored" but he got it that way. Looks great. $465
A 1916 Spanish 7mm carbine, light sanding & 5 applications of Tung oil rubbed in. All the metal bits had a Manganese Phosphate redo. Looks great. $200
An Arisaka T38 long rifle with MUM. Deeply reblued, bolt polished, ejector & sight springs burnished, stock completely redone with multiple coats of shellac, repo sling. Absolutely the most beautiful rifle in the rack. $250
Acquired enough SKS guts and barreled receivers ($650) to assemble 2 complete rifles with some minor stuff from my stash.
The arsenal /26\ rifle is totally mismatched. Chinese receiver & TG, Russian bolt, carrier, receiver cover, & butt plate, Yugo mag. The only furniture I had was for a spike bayo, so that how it ended up.
With the 2nd SKS, the barreled action looked new with no wear on the crown (still blued) or in the action. It got all scrubbed Chinese parts, except the stock is numbered. It was the only good looking pinned barreled stock I had. Topped of with a vented HG. Rifles from that arsenal, /416\ & importer (POLY), were known to bring in scrubbed rifles. They both turned out great, and here in Kali I could get $500 & $600 for them if I was to try and move them. Trade fodder yes, sell not likely.
It's my perspective that if the "Bubba Made Better" was done correctly, it's not a loss, and in today's market they can be had affordably, and will still accrue value. PAX

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#4 Post by OLDGUNNER » Wed May 30, 2018 5:47 pm

Oh, this Bubba job was done by me...I cleaned two of them up. I bought them for 14.95 each in 1956.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

sowbelle
United States of America

#5 Post by sowbelle » Wed May 30, 2018 10:19 pm

My Mantra
It is your rifle/car/truck/boat/house/land/life do with it as you want.
Please enjoy it as you want.
To each his/her own

indy1919a4
United States of America

#6 Post by indy1919a4 » Wed May 30, 2018 11:43 pm

Some times the Internet allows the wrong peoples opinions to be heard.. and promotes group think..

But hell there are enough guns out there in the world for people to do as they wish with them..

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#7 Post by OLDGUNNER » Thu May 31, 2018 8:58 am

That's the way that I look at it- exactly. I like the '...group think..' .
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Return to “Fun Facts and Trivia”