Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Re: IN PASSING & FWTW

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

Re: IN PASSING & FWTW

#1 Post by OLDGUNNER » Mon May 28, 2018 12:11 pm

STRICTLY FWTW ---Somewhere in the archives of this site I saw where someone called ‘jonesboy’ laying out some ground rules for this original site. I have no idea where he fit into the hierarchy at the time, but one of them was in effect, ‘We will ‘not’ entertain or want to hear any suggestions for the operation of this site’, along with a rather long list of other stipulations . I thought that well, it is their ‘railroad’, it is theirs to run as they so desire. AND I STILL SEE IT AS THIS WAY. I can see where other forum sites feel the same way...but will ‘still’ ask for donations to help keep their site on the air. I don’t know if this same philosophy is carried over into todays operation of this site or not.

But I realize that it is normally very hard for someone other than the original writers of a program as with this ‘site program’, to get into the program and do any maintenance, such as changes. There is a standard rule with any program writing is that ‘it is never finished’, and of course this is very true. They can go on and on but there has to be a point where it has to be ended. I know this because I used to like to just keep writing with a program and see just how far I could go with improving it, with time permitting. There is literally no end to this. And therefore it is a common practice for a program writing contract to stipulate just how much maintenance will be done in the future of a program. It is possible for a contract to specify that ‘NO’ maintenance will be provided, or maintenance will be or can be done, but at an additional fee.

There are a few bugs with this program and I realize that the site owners can’t fix them....by themselves, and maybe they got a good price on the original writing contract or what, but the bugs are still here, such as with some person’s postings, where a person can not post more than one attachment per posting, and there are other bugs.

Of course I should not be the one to suggest ‘anything’ to the site owners....but just wondering.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

vonalt
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

Re: Re: IN PASSING & FWTW

#2 Post by vonalt » Mon May 28, 2018 12:44 pm

Are you volunteering to correct those bugs as you see them to be? If so contact ElricFate, he would be glad to hear from you. Takes a lot of effort to maintain a forum and if you feel you have the ability, pass along your resume. We will be interested in learning about your technical skills.

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

Re: Re: IN PASSING & FWTW

#3 Post by OLDGUNNER » Mon May 28, 2018 2:50 pm

Oh, no, no, I am sorry that I can not offer any technical support for this . I do not have the knowledge as to how to get into a program - I never did. This would be a big step too far for me and my work never went that far into these things. But I did enjoy writing them, but as just incidental. But this is not to say a problem can not be recognized. I well understand the effort that can be involved in maintaining a forum. My last say 32 years of work was in the US Navy's Metrology department and a very small part of that, with usually about 175 personnel that covered the world. But if I were to be tasked with such a problem, I would just contact the original writer and request that they fix it. As I have said, I don't know in your case if there would be a fee involved in fixing the problems and I have no idea if the site owner would be interested in doing this. Again, this would be up to the owner, the way that I see it. Going back into someone else's program and doing anything with it is beyond me. I just took the program writing classes. I definitely do not have this ability - sorry.

Let me add this...I have been retired for 24 years and I don't know if there are new and maybe easy ways to get into someone's else's source code.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Return to “Fun Facts and Trivia”