Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

JUST TRIVIA

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

JUST TRIVIA

#1 Post by OLDGUNNER » Sat May 19, 2018 6:31 pm

Just personal trivia....

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view ... ajaxhist=0
I worked for Magnavox Research Laboratories, 58-60 and helped build three of these...and everything at the time was so secretive that I don’t know just how many in total there were in the entire 20 major systems. I guess it may have been 3 times 20...for 60 total, or 120 which would have been two at each site. These were nothing more than Flip-Flop memory banks...all with tubes. Transistors were out by then but they were so afraid of the Russians that they didn’t want to take the time to re design with the transistors so they just used the vacuum tubes. Some of the sub-systems did use transistors though. I don’t know if it was a total of 20 sites each with a separate stand-by system which would be 40 systems or not. They were in such a hurry that that there were 40 some contractors and many sub-contractors which Magnavox was one of.

We all know what printed circuit boards are...these were so new at the time that Magnavox had people making these in their garages and a co worker named John Davis would go around LA and pick up these boards as these were made. And then we would have Packard Bell solder the components on the boards. One of my side field jobs at the time was to get Packard Bell set up for this. And Packard Bell had not gotten around to making their own printed circuit boards at the time. For the two years that I worked for Magnavox I worked on this computer. I did design and build one little semi-automatic diode tester.

What Magnavox built was just a small part of this...Which was thee biggest computer ever built at the time, and probable that which has ever been built.

As...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06drBN8nlWg

And...https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=sa ... &FORM=IGRE

It’s kinda funny how I went to work on this...I was working at Douglas Aircraft in 68 and a co-worker one day had a want-ad from the the LA Times and asked me if I would call Magnavox about it. So there I was answering their questions and they invited me to come over and talk more about it. Probable because I had been involved in the first of the DEW Line project while in the Air Force in the spring of 55, which were the major inputs to this computer from the DEW Line sites. It was all interesting.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

ffuries
United States of America

Re: JUST TRIVIA

#2 Post by ffuries » Sat May 19, 2018 7:04 pm

Give you an ideal how much the military has changed over the years. As a TSgt and Squadron level Aircrew Life Support Technician, I have sat down with the Engineers during the Panoramic NVG development, the PRC-112G series Aircrew Survival Radio developement and testing, and Aircrew Chemical Warfare Equipment development and testing. Talking to the Engineers about what we liked, didn't like, and would like to see, then seeing the final product come out with a change you suggested.

As a A1C and Squadron level Aircrew Life Support Technician I worked with the Engineers to determine where to install the AERPS (Aircrew Eye Respiratory Protection System which is Aircrew Chemical Warfare Defense Equipment) Blower Bracket so it didn't interfere with the Rockwell International Ejection Seat on the OV-10A Bronco.

Cool that the USAF is using the knowledge and experience of the troops out in the field, versus only the input from the Chiefs at HQAF or HQ-MAJCOM, IE the people who have been away from the field since Christ was a Corporal.

I guess that is part of what warranted me a MSM (Meritorious Service Medal) at retirement as only an E-6 TSgt versus an Air Force Commendation Medal like my contemporaries received.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

Re: JUST TRIVIA

#3 Post by OLDGUNNER » Sat May 19, 2018 10:48 pm

I have a grandson that just graduated yesterday from Air Force Basic as an E-3, but I think he went in as an E-3. A year ago they offered him a job of setting in a trailer at Nellis AFB in Nevada and flying those drones in the far east but he didn't like that because he would have had to go to flight school and he didn't like that. He has a degree in psychology but I think that he would do better as a patient of a psychologist.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Return to “Fun Facts and Trivia”