Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

SLT

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

SLT

#1 Post by OLDGUNNER » Wed May 02, 2018 6:16 pm

SLT – Simple Little Thing....But, I have done this a dozen and one different ways though out the years and I just tried it this way and I will say, for me, that it is the easiest, the fastest, the most trouble–free, and with a good reading the ‘first try’.

1. To determine the distance in front of the case to the riflings – 0.505 inches to the first rifling indentation...Invariable I seem to get a different distance to the different riflings – here this varies about an eight of an inch.
2. With these Norma 7.35 cases they are short of going to the length of the chamber by 0.080 inches. One can see where the finger nail polish bunches up this 0.080”

My SLT is a wooden dowel turned down to where it will well go into the case (for that depth), with the remainder turned down to just the dimension of the rifling-to-rifling, minus a little more so it will slide into the muzzle freely.

1. I then gave that end eight or so coats of finger nail polish over a day.
2. I oiled the first of the bore so it would not grab the polish and possible tear it off.
3. I chambered it and the case and then removed the bolt and the case, leaving my tool stuck in the bore – I then used a small dowel to punch out the thingie.

As one can see it gives me everything that I may wish to know. I have four different types of bullets to reload with.
Attachments
DSC_0037.JPG
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

Re: SLT

#2 Post by OLDGUNNER » Wed May 02, 2018 6:32 pm

Well heck - the preview shows 3 photos but after submitting just one shows up-I know. I will try to send the other two but maybe only one will come through...who knows.
Attachments
DSC_0038.JPG
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#3 Post by OLDGUNNER » Wed May 02, 2018 6:35 pm

Okay - third photo....
Attachments
DSC_0039.JPG
NRA LIFE MEMBER

indy1919a4
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#4 Post by indy1919a4 » Thu May 03, 2018 10:32 am

I like that.. Also the picture loading did the same thing to me.. lets you load more then one, but will only show one..

and again I like this

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#5 Post by OLDGUNNER » Thu May 03, 2018 2:01 pm

Yes indy – When I first got into serious reloading in the late 50’s I was always plagued by this problem...trying to get this information with each different type of bullet. And just the other day I thought of this. So simple and yet so unknown. Just reapply some new finger nail polish for each firearm in that caliber. The little mark at the end of the rifling I made just to measure from...the actual rifling does not end abruptly with a sharp edge.

And this SLT will give one a good indication of the barrel use when buying a used gun. Usually when riflings are missing for the first inch or so, one can tell it has had a few thousands of rounds fired through it. Of course it all depends on the loadings and barrel makers metals. I bought this particular Carcano as new, and it looked it. And now this little test confirms to me that it was probable true. And I bought a box of 1728 rounds of original ammo at the same time, both dated 1939. And I will add with no reservations, that the bullets and ammo are more consistent and better looking than any out of Lake City Arsenal, that I have seen.

I have seen photos of bores that have had the riflings burnt out for up to two inches before targets have given any indication of this. For example, 2 inches of riflings being burnt out after the high ‘thousands of rounds’ being fired before accuracy falling off...’with’ the normal military ammo. Usually, as far as I am concerned, the military rifles are designed with moderate loadings just to increase barrel life. AND...And, one can reload with ‘HOT’ loads and burn out a good rifle bore with less than a thousand rounds. And I have seen where some serious ‘Bench Rest’ shooters may change barrels after as low a 150 rounds being fired – you pays your money, you takes your choice.

And I remember years ago that it was not uncommon for ones to think that their barrels had been ‘shot out’ just because they had changed the ammo, when in fact the barrel was still fine. AND...I am sure that this idea is still alive and well. I see this over and over. I do not know just why some will look into a reloading manual and reload from it and expect their firearm to just automatically fire its best – to me this is beyond comprehension. I repeat, beyond comprehension. It would be interesting to hear some one’s argument to justify this.

Anyway indy, glad to see your appreciation of the idea and hope that you can get some good use from it.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Return to “Fun Facts and Trivia”