Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

NEW MOLD

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

NEW MOLD

#1 Post by OLDGUNNER » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:53 pm

[attachment=0]DSC_0026.JPG[
Bullet weight....
I can't get forum to cooperate so will just start new thread. This is very first bullet, only bullet, out of mold - bad, bad bullet, didn’t get the mold hot enough and mold is going to require some TLC to get in shape...measured weight as 126.6 grain. After a little more lapping and rework may get near the original designed weight of 128 grain. But weight is not important, to me...I’ll work with whatever I get.
Attachments
DSC_0026.JPG
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

Re: NEW MOLD

#2 Post by OLDGUNNER » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:56 pm

On this mold – This is over 15 that I have made, maybe over 20. I seem to try to make them differently – I learn something new each time. But I have made them this way before. I do not like a You Tube where they will say, “You do this...” I am not saying anything like this...I am just saying this is the way that I did it or am doing it.
1. For this type of mold I’ll say that this is just about the easiest way that I have done things. I think that I can just about make any kind of cast bullet mold that I may like. I don’t have a retail store where I can get these molds for 18 $ or so, so I pay like 26 post paid on eBay – works for me. I went to Colorado Springs one time and called maybe 13 stores from the motel if they carried the LEE products...not one did.
2. If I don’t need the lube grooves, it is a lot easier. I just drill the hole the size that I want down to the start of the pointed part...and then form the end of the drill to the shape that I want for the front part of the bullet and finish the hole. And then just re-sharpen the drill bit.
3. I have a couple of ways of dealing with this type of cast bullet without lube grooves. I have made a simple copper plating fixture. I have plenty of copper and Copper Sulfate fertilizer is cheap.
4. Another way is to lap the bores to 800 and don’t worry about it. If I would have trouble with lead fouling, I would just drop the charge...or not...I could, but haven’t so far, tried powder coated bullets. I have done the coating by other means.
5. I don’t like the idea of making lead laps for the bores so I only did that once...since then I make leather laps, two usually for each size...One for 500 grit and one for 800 grit.

I just thought of a new lapping system, at least new for me...use a two inch piece of wooden dowel that has been sanded down to just a hair over the groove diameter and attach it to a long smaller wooden dowel as a handle. And as the lap may wear down, soak it in some light oil to let it expand back to a firm fit. Make two, again one for 500 grit and one for 800 grit....I think that it will work.

I’ll try to post a couple of photos just FWITW.

Oh heck, now it won't let me post the photos..no attachment option . I will try to just post photos in next postings.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#3 Post by OLDGUNNER » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:45 pm

The attachment DSC_0028.JPG is no longer available
Okay - just photo of making Lap.
DSC_0028.JPG
And photo of lapping mold.
Last edited by OLDGUNNER on Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#4 Post by OLDGUNNER » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:08 am

DSC_0029.JPG
I try again - Just how I simply lap the new mold - works for me.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#5 Post by OLDGUNNER » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:47 pm

DSC_0034.JPG
Okay – You can get the idea...starting out with a Double Cavity LEE .285 Mold...drilled and lapped to dropping 0.298 and 0.299 cast bullets – one with lube grooves and one without. I will LEE-Ment to 0.301 and 0.302. The cartridge on left is 1939 original and on right is a Norma case. Hornady will have to find another customer.

Return to “Fun Facts and Trivia”