Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Movie rifle anachronism

nrobertb
United States of America

Movie rifle anachronism

#1 Post by nrobertb » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:46 am

I was watching the 1965 Civil War movie Shenandoah, with Jimmy Stewart as a Virginia farmer who wants nothing to do with the war. His youngest son, "Boy", played by Philip Alford. gets snatched up by the Confederates and forced to fight. The soldiers around him all have the appropriate muzzle loaders, but for some reason they give him a Springfield trapdoor carbine, which wasn't invented until after the war. Ooops!

DaleH
United States of America

Re: Movie rifle anachronism

#2 Post by DaleH » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:12 pm

Well ... a trapdoor is certainly easier for a youngster to load & shoot ;) ...

72 usmc
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#3 Post by 72 usmc » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:59 pm

That reminds me of the French resistance girl with a Mosin sniper rifle in the WW II movie, Saints & Soldiers-- Airborne Creed 2012. Where did she get a Russian sniper mosin in France? This hit me as real odd right off the bat. Others take a few watchings to pick up. This was Operation Dragoon. The 1st Airborne Task Force was a US Allied airborne unit during World War II created for Operation Dragoon–the invasion of Southern France that took part in the "Dragoon" landings on 15 August 1944. A nice movie. And the chick is hot.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2082415/
Screen Shot 2018-03-19 at 1.07.40 PM.png
lots of crazy things if you watch it 3 or 4 times
Anachronisms
The film takes place during World War II, which ended in Europe on May 8, 1945. The "Airborne Creed" was created in 1946, when the first dedicated airborne training facility was built by the U.S. Army.

Continuity
Emelie's sniper rifle is a Mosin-Nagant M91/30 PU. This is a Soviet weapon which would have been found on the Eastern Front and highly unlikely to show up in Southern France (or anywhere in France for that matter). Even the ability for her to get ammunition (during the war) would have been near impossible.

In the shot of the C-47s (Dakotas) flying to deliver the 517th, the plane in the foreground is numbered "62" - the plane to the rear right (obviously a CGI) is also numbered "62". The 3rd plane in the shot (also CGI) is so blurry as to not be able to identify the nose. In actuality, all such planes would have had different numbers.

Crew or equipment visible
The first paratrooper seen landing fires back to the pursuing Germans with a naked bore weapon,presumably a M1A1 carbine,yet in the prior and following scenes he is carrying only an M1 Garand rifle.

Errors in geography
The telephone shown on the German officer's desk is an American-made North Electric telephone. This is evident in close-up, when the American-style dial is clearly shown.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

indy1919a4
United States of America

#4 Post by indy1919a4 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:23 am

Now not taking sides, because Movie armorers are many times more worried about getting blanks for the gun and keeping it running for the shoots then getting an historical gun.. But I do not think its impossible for this girl to have this rifle.. The Russians supplied the Spanish Republicans with many mosins.. The also supplied ammo for them.. After the Spanish Civil War
many fighters fled in exile into France. Some did bring their weapons. The Ammo would have been laying around also.. Now I do not know if the Russians supplied sniper scopes for the SCW..

I have never fully figured out the logistics of how the sides went about supplying the many calibers to the right guns during the SCW.

Hammy
United States of America

#5 Post by Hammy » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:43 am

Speaking of Mosin snipers, the movie Kelly's Heroes, when they are trying to take the Germans out of the town so they can rob the bank, the guy in the tower with the sniper rifle, well, it's a Mosin.
U.S. Marine Corps 1975-1979
Combat Engineer

72 usmc
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#6 Post by 72 usmc » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:43 pm

:shhh: :shifty: here is a link to all 61 goofs in Kellys Heroes :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:
Just too many to list...
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065938/goofs
So lets get a better movie. In Saving Private Ryan for us tankers, the German Tigers were actually Russian T34 tanks and the Army guy/sniper had a Unertl scope on his 1903A4 sniper which is a USMC scope :lol:

At least the sniper rifle in Enemy at the Gates is correct. Lots of other goofs, but not a bad movie. It certainly drove the need for reproduction Mosin sniper fakes at gun shows :roll: :doh: Regular Mosin 91/30 sales doubled.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

slowbob2
United States of America

#7 Post by slowbob2 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:30 pm

A Mosin rifle or sniper is not out of place at all in D-day France . There were several divisions of troops armed with Russian weapons facing the Allies . Since Kelly's hero's were supplied by the Black market dealer { Crap game ] , he would have some of those items .

jbrower
United States of America

#8 Post by jbrower » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:51 pm

I think that Sgt. Schultz carries a Krag in Hogan's Heroes. Otherwise that series is spot-on realistic, right?

dezzertrat
United States of America

#9 Post by dezzertrat » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:34 am

A while back I saw an auction on Gunbroker for a Krag that had, according to the seller, belonged to CBS studios, which produced Hogan's Heros.

I think it had CBS studios property markings. Who knows, it might have been the rifle Sgt. Schultz was seen holding. Or it might have been a fake.

72 usmc
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#10 Post by 72 usmc » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:44 pm

In episode "Color the Luftwaffe Red" (Season 4, Episode 8). it seems Germany ran out of K98ks so POW camps used surplus rifles from the U.S. in order to help pay for the U.S. war effort. :roll: :roll: :doh: :lol: "I know Nothing" :lol: Maybe the hollywood liberals
only had one rifle? I never noticed it, but its been some time since I have seen Hogan's onTV. That is crazy.
The list of weapons actually used during production:
see http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Hogan%27s_Heroes
imageproxy.php.jpeg
imageproxy.php.jpeg (44.63 KiB) Viewed 403 times
Cliff Osmond (1937–2012) as Marko aims a Krag-Jørgensen rifle in Hogan's Heroes..jpg
Cliff Osmond (1937–2012) as Marko aims a Krag-Jørgensen rifle in Hogan's Heroes..jpg (55.43 KiB) Viewed 403 times
Last edited by 72 usmc on Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

72 usmc
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#11 Post by 72 usmc » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:15 pm

The Battle for Sevastopol another nice Mosin sniper move with a female sniper.
Screen Shot 2018-03-21 at 3.10.19 PM.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... FpUnnpCVKE

slowbob2
United States of America

#12 Post by slowbob2 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:00 pm

An US Krag would not be correct , but close as a guard would have used a European Krag ,,, or Berthier . The two most common guard rifles .

indy1919a4
United States of America

#13 Post by indy1919a4 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:15 pm

The Luftwaffe always seemed to struggle for small arms, so I would think captured Krags would be a perfect fit for POW guards.. They would not need a lot of extra ammo. I think the Germans in Norway even produced 6.5mm ammo during the war for their captured Krags.. I do not think the Germans made Lebel ammo after France fell. From everything I have ever read the Germans Lebel armed units were not expected to exist after the Lebel ammo ran out.

Return to “Fun Facts and Trivia”