Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

SOME MORE TRIVIA

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

SOME MORE TRIVIA

#1 Post by OLDGUNNER » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:03 pm

Just some Trivia that ‘WILL’ save someone some trouble,
DSC_0001.JPG
and money. See those little black hook type things on the door of this Microwave Oven. They are required as part of the safety features with most Microwave ovens. When the door closes, they will engage a safety switch that will allow the oven to come on after the door is properly closed.
In our Motor Home, the Microwave Oven quit working. I called a local Appliance store and they did indeed have an exact GE replacement for this custom little hole in the motor home kitchen...at 400 + dollars. Well of course I was not going for this so I took a closer look and saw that the little hook had warped from old age and had bent off to one side, and was not properly engaging the switch. I simply took a little heat-gun and straightened it out with the problem solved. I assume that a regular hair-dryer would work as well.
I can just envision that thousands of microwave ovens have been discarded because of this problem.
A word of CAUTION, DO NOT STICK SOMETHING INTO THE SWITCH HOLE to turn on the microwave with the door open. Bad things can and will happen – JUST DON’T DO THIS.
Now if one smells things and sees smoke when a microwave oven quits working it will probable be that the secondary of the power supply transformer has shorted and burned open and now-a-days, with most, will just probable buy a new oven. This problem can be dealt with some times by changing the power supply fuse to a lower value, but then there is the hassle of changing fuses more often....
Of course this is what one has to put up with if they wish an economically made Microwave Oven....which most of us do.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

VMASCIOP2000
United States of America

Re: SOME MORE TRIVIA

#2 Post by VMASCIOP2000 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:10 pm

Didn't know that. Glad I do now. Thanks.
I was R.L.E.V.M. on our old forum.

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#3 Post by OLDGUNNER » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:32 am

Yes, VMA - That's the way they work.
Let me add - The main reason that one’s Microwave oven burns up is, repeated use without sufficient cool-down period between uses. Those 49 dollar Walmart Microwave ovens leave China at maybe 15 $ and those power transformers are costing say 1 dollar. And when they can save 10 or so cent each, they do it. It is just a matter of using the smallest and cheapest wire as possible in the transformer.
What is happening, one cooks something for 5 minutes and then too soon cooks something else for 5 minutes. This causes the insulation on the wire to melt and the windings short and the winding melts open.
And yes, I know how to design transformers.
I have in my garage right now one of the first Home-type Microwave Ovens made in the US, that became popular, in about 1970, an Amana, and it still works but must weight 40 or 50 pounds....all because of the heavy duty transformers.
The only reason that I bought it, In 1967 I was working for Litton when it was developed. And in about 1962 my boss and I went to see the very first public demonstration of the world’s first laser. It was about 5 feet long. http://newgrandmas.com/20938/rememberwh ... r-home-use
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#4 Post by OLDGUNNER » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:10 pm

Our counter top oven just kinda crapped out....No one can accuse Amana of selling cheap stuff. https://www.samsclub.com/sams/amana-ace ... oduct:1:16
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Return to “Fun Facts and Trivia”