Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

COYOTE CALLS

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

COYOTE CALLS

#1 Post by OLDGUNNER » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:56 pm

Hi – For What It’s Worth....This is just in case some may be interested in making some Coyote Calls. just in the past week or so I have been making some more. Years ago, 57, when I lived in the Mojave Desert I had bought some from Herter’s and they were the reed type. As it happened I was never able to call one in with them. So, I made one myself and it worked. I realize that things like this can act differently in different situations. As it was I was only successful right before sundown. Those coyotes did not want to come out into the open in the daytime. They were very wary by nature and their Momma’s taught them well. I don’t know just how a coyote can know that some thing bad can happen to them if they hang around after being shot at and missed. They can have uncanny knowledge of those things without any ‘Book learning’. Except where distance is involved. I have found that if I would shoot at one say less than 6 or 700 yards away and miss they can take off and run to the next county...actually to maybe 1000 yards before stopping. But if I shoot at a coyote, or fox or a jack rabbit and miss, over say this 700 yards away, they will typically just look around and not run anywhere. That is IF they had not seen me. With jack rabbits, I don’t think that they can see that far. With a coyote, if they are looking at me at any distance and I shoot at them and miss, they run. And those coyotes when they see me, they can just stare at me a 1000 yards away and not take their eyes off me.
Around here the coyotes are all well fed with the abundance of field mice and voles but they do have in mind a big buffet of a jack rabbit and well run towards a call, IF, there are two or more together, as if to beat the others to the chow. With a single coyote they will use much more caution when coming in. The population of our county is 6000 and some and there are sure more coyotes than this.
Anyway, if one may be interested I could just show them how I make my the calls at no more expense than a package of assorted length rubber bands at Walmart. I think that I should be able to do this through the PM’ing.
Anywho – only if interested.

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

Re: COYOTE CALLS

#2 Post by OLDGUNNER » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:50 pm

Just in passing, the local coyotes may be good at map reading. I have seen maps as old as in the 30’s with the same name for this hill. All of the coyotes in the area seem to live here. They will come down in the evenings to feed in the open fields and go back in the morning. And...and, the deer may be able to read also...they do not hang out on this hill. :|
DSC_0012.JPG
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Hams03
United States of America

#3 Post by Hams03 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:34 pm

Thats pretty cool info. I will have to apply it where i hunt.

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#4 Post by OLDGUNNER » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:31 pm

DSC_0013.JPG
Hi Hams03 - I can foresee one taking quite a while in getting the gist of coyote hunting as in things to do and things not to do.
I will say this just based on what I have experienced:
First of all I have absolutely no experience with the so-called ‘urban’ coyotes that seem to be problematic these days. They seem to have overcome some of the common fears of the real country coyote.
And my experience has just been with three areas...Palmdale, California and the eastern edge of the Mojave Desert, around Phoenix, Arizona and here....with similar findings.
1. The two most important things that I would say is....don’t let them see you and don’t be near a vehicle. Invariable if I am just driving around and see a coyote out in the day time and I stop and try to call one, it doesn’t work. They most usually will just trot or run away. They ‘may’ stop for a second at the first call, but keep right on running away. I do not ever recall seeing one that was so impressed with my calling that they turned around and came towards me. To me this just must be to innate canningness on their part. But I am sure it has happened, but just not with me.
2. Coyotes don’t usually like to come out of cover and into the open and hunt during the day time unless in a particularly isolated area. Around here some will still be out and about for maybe the first hour after the first sign of daylight. But they will high-tail it to their Coyote Hill at the first sight of me or the vehicle.
3. I can visualize where someone may pull up to a clearing in their vehicle and make a few calls with nothing working and just conclude that there must not be any coyotes around. They can do this off and on all of their life and not see a coyote....so much for what ‘not to do’.
4. What one ‘can do’...is buy a length of camouflage netting about say eighteen feet long and three feet high and stake it out at the edge of a clearing in a circle the night before and sneak into it just before dawn and use a rubber band ‘Bleating Type Call’. Which I had done in the early middle 60’s when I lived in Phoenix...and it seemed to have fooled them every time. I still have that netting in the garage somewhere. It is very light weight and It can be wadded up into a 5 or six inch ball.
5. If one has been use to rabbit hunting as a kid they would be use to the sound of a wounded dying rabbit . It typically is not a steady high pitched sound but may start as such but then turn into a ‘Bleating’ sound all in one breath. These old wooden reed type calls as I have pictured is not worth a darn as far as I am concerned. Stuff like this is made to sell and not necessarily work, I have found.
I think that just a sound from these may sound like maybe a short screech from a hawk which with any able minded coyote can tell the difference. For those dumb ducks, they work great.

In passing – After I retired in 94 we bought a Motor Home and went to Alaska for the summer...in the middle of Canada we came across a sign ‘Animal hides for sale”. I didn’t buy any but enjoyed talking to the lady that did the trapping. I remember two things, how to just trap the male beavers, and one type of set for all others, such as Fox, Lynx, Wolverines and Martens. For some reason the Martens would hear the vehicle and want to run cross the road in front of you...big black two foot long pretty Martens.
On the beaver ‘she said’, she would make a hole in the beaver dam and set the traps at this hole...only the male beavers had the duty of repairing the dams.
On the other sets, she would shoot a couple of birds - make a little fire and put the birds on the fire...after half cooking put out the fire with some snow and set a couple of traps around it. When I was a kid I never thought of this.

Anyhow I would like to hear how your coyote hunting goes.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#5 Post by OLDGUNNER » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:12 pm

Oh-oh, I just came across these that I didn’t know about – The reed type of the coyote calls of the coyotes themselves - - other than just the food types of the rabbit calls. These may do the trick – just a case of new technology...to me.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=co ... ORM=VDQVAP
NRA LIFE MEMBER

spentprimer
United States of America

#6 Post by spentprimer » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:49 pm

Hey! Oldgunner, You can thank me later when you become World Famous making those Herter's knock offs.

You will want to read this and see the photograph!
This ain't Dodge City and you ain't Bill Hickok - Matthew Quigley

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#7 Post by OLDGUNNER » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:26 pm

Scan.BMP.jpg
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Gosh spentprimer, I didn’t realize that I was writing anything that was too hard to understand, but I guess that I will have to try to be more careful. The picture of the wooden calls are all what I had bought from Herter’s years ago...and some how you have read into my posting that I made those ‘Herter Knock-Off’s’. Very odd---No, the ones that I have made do not resemble in any way of any that I have ever seen. And no, I am not trying to become world famous by making any Knock-Offs’ – again very odd for you saying this.
But yes Herter did become world famous for his boastful salesmanship and advertising style, but as far as I knew it was not illegal – just eye catching, and he was famous for shopping around to get the lowest prices for his goods. I did buy one of his ‘WORLD FAMOUS NO. 3 RELOADING PRESSES’ for 12.95 in about 1960 and other assorted things and I still have them....AND I AM NOT ASHAMED OF THAT – SHOULD I BE? I read somewhere that he became afoul of the FEDS, when he imported certain feathers from restricted birds in the making of his fishing flies, and he just said to heck with it rather than fight it.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

spentprimer
United States of America

#8 Post by spentprimer » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:39 am

OLDGUNNER, No offense intended from here in Waseca, MN. Just a little good natured ribbing a half mile from George's grave. Back when I was working I cut hair for the fellows that did the tuning of George's duck, goose and predator calls and made them ... and George,too. When the old Herter's employees would run into each other at the barber shop they would refer to each other as "World Famous". I took it as kind of a tribute to George between old friends.

I was always amazed at the number of people that would stop at the barber shop and inquire as to where Herter's was located. They would ask where they could get a Herter's catalog and I would pull one out of a drawer and let them look at one of my old ones. Many would offer $10.00 or so, but, mine were not for sale. They would then tell their childhood stories about how the whole family went on vacation and on their way to northern Minnesota dad would have to stop at Herter's. Dad would buy a few things and the kids would explore the store with all the stuffed animals creating images in their heads of far off lands and adventure. Some would stay for 3-4 hours to chat and reminisce. Since the airport was across the street from Herter's it made things look much different when the airport moved to the west side of town and the old one got filled with commercial buildings and businesses. When Herter's closed Waseca started going downhill a bit. Herter's made Waseca a destination and it impacted the entire city!

One of my now deceased shooting friends and hunting partner had all the insight into most of George's legal troubles. My friend was an attorney and his dad was George's attorney. When George was having the feather importation problems he had claimed his Southeast Asia feather operation was a front for the CIA and they gave him the go ahead to bring them into the USA. Seeing how the CIA operates, who knows, maybe George was working for the FEDS?

I recall a story from one of my regular customers telling about one of his predator call recording when electronic calls were first coming out. He told me George paid a fellow to record another fellow poking a cat with a sharp pencil for 30 minutes while the cat yowled in agony.

The catalog in your photograph is in real good condition, mine are getting rather worn. I recall Herter's putting out another catalog under the name of RUHR AMERICA, I don't know if it was a separate company or his importing operation or done for bookkeeping reasons or ... ? It would make an interesting television series if we knew the back stories of everything in the catalog. Ripley's Believe It Or Not would sink in the ratings. Needless to say GLH was an interesting fellow and Lodge brother.
This ain't Dodge City and you ain't Bill Hickok - Matthew Quigley

Hams03
United States of America

#9 Post by Hams03 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:27 pm

Well we do have urban coyotes here. The ones in our woods and swamps are a bit more aware but that doesnt mean the street coyotes are easy to spot. I live less than a mile as the crow flies from I4 in tampa bay area and we have coyotes. I got a "predator call" as a gag gift from family as they were razzing me about coyotes on the property.... i stepped outside hit that call a few times and sure enough a red and black yote came running towards the lake in broad daylight. I think my dad crapped himself lol. We have a lot of coyotes in Florida. In some of our densest counties it is a bad idea to let cats stay unattended on a screen porch or lil dogs alone in the yard. Urban bow hunting would help.

Return to “Fun Facts and Trivia”