Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

A FEW NICKELS MORE

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

A FEW NICKELS MORE

#1 Post by OLDGUNNER » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:13 pm

OR
DSC_0005.JPG
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
OR A FEW NICKELS LESS
This photo is of a Stepper Motor from my vehicle’s instrument panel. There is one for each instrument – they make the needles turn. I had one go squirrely and I looked at 2 or 3 YouTubes and it seemed to be straight forward if one was familiar with a screw driver and and a small soldering iron. And I saw them on eBay for $4.29, post paid.
I thought that I would call the local Chevrolet dealership and see what they would like to replace it. They told me that they didn’t replace the motors, just the whole panel and that would $175, and labor would be $175 and there maybe some extra charges. I said that I would like the total estimate...there would be sales tax on the panel and a ‘Shop Fee’. I asked how much the Shop Fee would be. He said that it is based on the total bill and that would be $165. I said thank you.
I ordered one from eBay and got it in 4 or 5 days. I had never done this before so I worked slow and it took me less than 45 minutes.
These motors are made in Switzerland and I now I see them for as low as $2.65 and I have another on another vehicle going out. I looks like the same motor was used on all GM vehicles for a dozen or so years...and maybe some other makers as well.
I saved about 9,659 nickels it looks like – enough to buy a little spiffy hand gun.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

shoot4fun
United States of America

Re: A FEW NICKELS MORE

#2 Post by shoot4fun » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:39 pm

quite! Nice job DIY and saving some $$

just my 0.02

checkmate19
United States of America

#3 Post by checkmate19 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:37 am

Thats pretty cool Oldgunner, youtube has become my friend also.

I love all your posts and read them all more than once. Thanks for posting all the interesting stuff.

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#4 Post by OLDGUNNER » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:03 am

Well thank you checkmate19, thank you very much for those kind words. It is always nice to hear nice things.

Return to “Fun Facts and Trivia”