Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Enfield P14 rear sight

OLDGUNNER
United States of America

Enfield P14 rear sight

#1 Post by OLDGUNNER » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:01 pm

DSC_0046.JPG
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Okay, this is what I am talking about...Is this what some are calling a Volley Sight - I think so - I could call it that. It doesn't appear to be a separate Sight on the side of the rifle. It could be just a regular long range leaf sight...am I right about this? And it could fit the definition of a Tangent Sight, right?
NRA LIFE MEMBER

vandle
Australia

Re: Enfield P14 rear sight

#2 Post by vandle » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:31 pm

359l.jpg
Here is the volley sights on the left side of the P14.

The front sight is the brass disc which you can adjust for distance
and on the left of your ladder sight is your peep sight.
Life is tough, tougher if your stupid

OLDGUNNER
United States of America

#3 Post by OLDGUNNER » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:59 pm

Okay vandle ---thanks...yes, it looks like what it should look like, I guess???? I can sure see how it was decided that they can be done without.
Now I am wondering just how many countries actually made and used these on their rifles.
Thanks again,
NRA LIFE MEMBER

dmg4
United States of America

#4 Post by dmg4 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:55 am

The volley sight was a holdover from the pre-WWI era. Put your armies in a nice straight line, and begin marching towards each other, and make rangefinding easy. The Brits used volley fire to create fear and demoralize the enemy lines on approach from long distances. There is an undeniable effect of having a man at your left drop like a rag doll when you are still 2400 yds (more than a mile) from the contact with the enemy. It was never intended to severely reduce enemy numbers, and it was always a low percentage shot, but it was sometimes effective in producing the desired demoralization. Trench warfare and changes in tactics rendered it irrelevant during WWI.
Frequently wrong, never in doubt.

Return to “Fun Facts and Trivia”