Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

YA KNOW

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

YA KNOW

#1 Post by OLDGUNNER » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:30 pm

I have been badgering the TV networks and different individual news and reporting personnel for over two years about their using, “Ya know”, and it being so meaningless and dumb. A lot of them just made it so hard to find a way to send them any negative feedback on this. When I did find a way to contact them I would put it on my desktop. I have sent dozens and dozens of feedback emails on this issue. I realize that the parties had screeners to keep my comments away from them because some just couldn’t say a sentence without a ‘Ya know’ every few words.
Well this morning I was watching Fox News and I heard a women say, “Ya know,” and it jumped out to me like the proverbial XXXX in church. I realized that I or someone else had gotten to the right people after all, except she hadn’t gotten the word.
I have always wondered why the owners of the networks had not noticed this and done something about it, before this. To me it was really noticeable and bad when I heard the new Unitied States Secretary of Education, Betsy DeVos say it. I wonder if she still does. Of course it can be used in the proper context.
Last edited by OLDGUNNER on Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

8thIDGrunt
United States of America

Re: YA KNOW

#2 Post by 8thIDGrunt » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:45 pm

You know it.

nrobertb
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#3 Post by nrobertb » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:11 am

I dislike jargon and am appalled at the poor grammar I encounter daily and even on the national TV networks. What are our schools teaching these days?

Smokey
United States of America

#4 Post by Smokey » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:32 am

I have a young adult who recently finished college. This pretty much summarizes the indoctrination from the leftists there:
http://www.americanthinker.com/articles ... beral.html
:(
Arguing with someone who denounces reason is like administering medicine to a corpse.

Ghoulardi
Ukraine

#5 Post by Ghoulardi » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:52 am

ya know, that doesn't bother me at all. and even if it did I wouldn't let it get under my skin like it got to OLDGUNNER

what I don't get is the word " SO" starting off a sentence. the first time I heard that "SO" I watching a hearing on C-SPAN quite a few months back probably longer then that and every time someone begins to talk they start off with SO ie. "so, what we did was to yadda, yadda, yadda." etc...

it's coming out of mouths of generals, politicians from both the right and left wing. from the right and left wing KOOL-AIDE dispensers (pundits), news casters everybody and their brother begins with the word SO before going on. it's not like one or two times, it's just about every sentence

I didn't get the memo that "SO" is now the thing you say before going on.

SO, I guess I'll have to start using it more often now. :D

wish they would start off the sentence with MAN, at least I can relate to that :D
COOL IT WITH THE BOOM-BOOMS!! OVA-DAY!!

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#6 Post by OLDGUNNER » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:54 am

https://www.colorado.edu/education/2015 ... -uncertain
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Well I know what is happening here in Colorado...the whole state is being reconfigured and I don’t think that it is for the better. It has been decided that a 4 day school week would be more fitting than the regular 5. I know that here in Pagosa they have what they call a 4 and a half day school week but is really just a 4. And now that 4 is becoming more popular, a 3 day school week is in the wind. Yes, there are people here also that think that ‘Ya know’ is perfectly alright for normal usage.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

nrobertb
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#7 Post by nrobertb » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:41 am

Using "disrespect" as a verb instead of as a noun.

"Me and her" instead of "she and I".

"Ax" instead of "ask".

Incorrect tenses and plurals.

Made up words.

"It is what it is." What does that even mean?

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#8 Post by OLDGUNNER » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:35 pm

https://www.bing.com/search?q=the%20une ... 402EEB0B10
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
A time honored system----The Khmer Rouge of Cambodia
https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=ca ... &FORM=IGRE
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
They didn’t want to be as slow and subtle as some other countries are.
When I was in the area the estimates were as high as 20 million killed....anyone that was thought to be educated. AND...no other country in the world would even voice their displeasure against it. Does one wonder why?
In Vietnam the French were a little nicer at it. They would just not let the typical Vietnamese go to any kind of school.
Notice how the Cambodian estimates were reduced.
A coworker of mine went straight into Cambodia at that time. I didn't think that it was too prudent, so the closest that I ever got was about 20 miles.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

ffuries
United States of America

#9 Post by ffuries » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:50 pm

I agree it's saddening to see how slang or nonexistent words have entered into mainstream vocabulary. Just look a billboards, or listen to commercials. Chik-fil-A billboards with the misspellings, a lot of kids spell eat and chicken like it's spelt on the billboard, they mimic what is seen on the different types of media out there.

I have another issue and that is after being in the military, we have words that are made up. I'm not talking acronyms here, can't remember any off the top of my head right now. I remember typing email responses to Numbered AF and spell check flagging several words. Of couse I then google the words only to find out they don't exist, we would end up having to hyphenate the word. These words/terms were something that was used universally in the AF. Sometimes I catch myself using them even though I am retired now.

Another one is, when you talk to somebody and they are highly intelligent, then you see something they have written and they seem like a moron. Amazes me how person can be highly articulate verbally, yet write like a 3rd grader.

I'm so anal about it at times, that I will edit a post several times as I catch my typos. I fear someone reading what I have posted and thinking I'm some sort of uneducated idiot, because of my typos or left out words.

After 23 years of public speaking, briefing VIP's (Politicians foreign and domestic, generals foreign and domestic) and giving aircrew survival refresher training, I'm pretty hard on myself.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

Return to “Fun Facts and Trivia”