Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

TRIPOLI

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

TRIPOLI

#1 Post by OLDGUNNER » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:17 pm

Simplify with TRIPOLI---If I was to come up with ‘one’ simplified method of bore polishing I would use TRIPOLI – JUST TRIPOLI, and I have done it....it works and works good. Your firearm bore will love you for it. It will show it’s appreciation by giving one a more pleasant shooting experience . The TRIPOLI can be from 700 to 1000 grit size. I refer to Brownells’ J-B products as ‘stuff’, because they want you to keep buying their stuff without telling you just what it is. I called them one time and asked just what were they selling and a guy tells me that they don’t know. I believe that was just a big bunch of boloney. Brownells owns the name, it is their product. If anyone knows what it is, it should be Brownells. Sure I know why they won’t tell anyone...They want to keep people buying it ‘without’ telling them for as long as they can get away with it. They know that there is enough people that will buy it without knowing what is in it and just tell them that it is especially formulated for firearms. We should know that it is an Aluminum Oxide abrasive mixed with a liquid vehicle. If they want to make some a little different they can add a little Iron Oxide (Red Rouge) and make it pinkish colored. Or add a little Silicon Carbide and it will be a grayish color. And it will work, sure but at what cost. With say 5 different types at 12 to 19 dollars per 2 ounce jar and with maybe 0.4 ounces of grit compound, at most, in each jar, this comes out to approximately 82 time more costly than TRIPOLI. 15 years ago I bought a one pound container of Tripoli for 3 dollars and still have 90 % or more of it. I just checked on the web and found TRIPOLI from 7 $ to whatever per pound. Hardware stores sell it and Lapidary stores sell it. One pound will last most anyone their whole life and all of their sons for their lives. At an average of $15 per 2 ounce jar of J-B compound, I get one pound of TRIPOLI may make 600 dollars worth of J-B...stuff. That is why they don’t want you to know what is in it. It can be packaged under two different names, TRIPOLI or ROTTENSTONE. For the vehicle, I use old almost dried up hand lotion. Yes, I fiddle with more involved polishing but I chock that up to experimenting.

You pays your money, you takes your choice.

Just in passing, let me add another thing since I have space. I have bought two of those Chinese ‘Bore Scopes’, and I have used them once and not since. Since I don’t have any ratty bores, I can just look at the muzzle and see what I want to see. I have some 30 and 40 power little Magnaviewers and for me the first of the bore, 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch, shows me all I need to know....for me, more quicker, more easier to see, much more clearer, and more better.

FWIW
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Return to “Fun Facts and Trivia”