Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

COST OF SAFETY

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

COST OF SAFETY

#1 Post by OLDGUNNER » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:29 am

http://cs.trains.com/trn/f/111/t/143868.aspx
================================================

I have relation that live in Phoenix and anytime I go there in the summer I see ‘Thermite’ Welding going on with the the rail tracks. One will not usually notice it except when they light-off the welding....a big flash will burn for a minute or so. They can cut out a small piece and weld the joint in just a few minutes..that’s how they usually handle the long welded rails. when it gets hot. There are more ‘safe ways’ but expensive. The whole rail road business is an ‘ECONOMICAL TRADE-OFF’, as this article mentions, as are all businesses. In other words they absorb the cost of the occasional wreck and death of people customers and employees because it is more economical than to spend the money on more safe conditions. You know what the web of a rail is. If they would make that web 50 % thicker they might cut the wrecks by 50 or 75 percent or what ever. But it is cheaper to just put up with a wreck now and then. I’ll find a picture of an expensive expansion joint.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Return to “Fun Facts and Trivia”