Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

A FLAT ROOF FOR MY BUDDY.

OLDGUNNER
United States of America

A FLAT ROOF FOR MY BUDDY.

#1 Post by OLDGUNNER » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:11 pm

Scan.BMP.jpg
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I always thought that Snoopy had a hard time sleeping on the roof of his house so I gave my dog a flat roof.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

sowbelle
United States of America

Re: A FLAT ROOF FOR MY BUDDY.

#2 Post by sowbelle » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:18 pm

Is there a feed store in downtown Pagosa Springs?

OLDGUNNER
United States of America

#3 Post by OLDGUNNER » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:15 pm

Yes, there use to be two. I don't know if the original one is still open or not. TRACTOR SUPPLY built a big place and I think that they get most all of the business now. I know the old one wanted too much for Oat Straw for a local guy to build a house with so he went to Oklahoma and bought enough to build a nice two story house with, straw. A next door neighbor built his house of mud. Remember Chester on Gun Smoke...he built a house just north of here of mud. I just saw one of my pictures here the other day of it.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

8thIDGrunt
United States of America

#4 Post by 8thIDGrunt » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:41 pm

Wasn't Pagosa Springs the town in that old trucker song? The funny one where Earl missed some gears and the brakes quit. Loved that song. Can't think of the name of it, though. Wolf Creek Pass. By C.W. McCall I believe. After a hairy ride down the mountain with a truckload of chickens they ran into the feed store in Pagosa Springs. :lol:

8thIDGrunt
United States of America

#5 Post by 8thIDGrunt » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:02 pm

sowbelle wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:18 pm
Is there a feed store in downtown Pagosa Springs?
Ah, you remembered Wolf Creek Pass, too. :lol:

OLDGUNNER
United States of America

#6 Post by OLDGUNNER » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:23 pm

Well heck – No I didn’t think of that...I just had no idea why you inquired about that. That song is an example of ‘Writer’s Liberty’. The Snow Shed that they are singing about has nothing to do with Pagosa Springs. It is on the other side (north) of Wolf Creek Pass from Pagosa by 30 miles. If one loses their brakes before going through that Snow Shed and makes it to the next town that would be the town of South Fork, 18 miles away. But the hairy side of that road is on the Pagosa side. I think that every time I come down that south side I will smell burnt brakes of a motor home or a truck or two, or more.

http://www.cw-mccall.com/legend/

https://www.codot.gov/news/2017-news/ju ... y-campaign
NRA LIFE MEMBER

8thIDGrunt
United States of America

#7 Post by 8thIDGrunt » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:55 am

Interesting information. Thank you. Your own stories are interesting as well, especially so to a military retiree like myself. Were you with the State Department, or with the alphabet agency?

OLDGUNNER
United States of America

#8 Post by OLDGUNNER » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:52 am

8thIDGrunt ----Well I worked for the same department that you did....DOD, mainly, except for 11 years in the private sector, and all of that 11 years were with military contracts. So it was US Air Force, the 11 years, NAESU, AND NAVAIR.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

8thIDGrunt
United States of America

#9 Post by 8thIDGrunt » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:05 pm

That must have been interesting, especially in the years you were in the far east.

les1234
United States of America

#10 Post by les1234 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:09 pm

I rode through Pagosa Springs, Wolf Creek Pass and the snow shed on my motorcycle about a dozen years ago. Heading east. Was nice and sunny in Pagosa Springs, then went to raining just a little after the pass. I put on all my raingear and kept going, looking for a motel or some kind of shelter. If I'd known I was going to ride all the way to Walsenberg in a cold rain, I'd have went back to the shelter at the pass summit and rolled up in my sleeping bag and tarp and waited it out.

OLDGUNNER
United States of America

#11 Post by OLDGUNNER » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:41 am

les1234 wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:09 pm
I rode through Pagosa Springs, Wolf Creek Pass and the snow shed on my motorcycle about a dozen years ago. Heading east. Was nice and sunny in Pagosa Springs, then went to raining just a little after the pass. I put on all my raingear and kept going, looking for a motel or some kind of shelter. If I'd known I was going to ride all the way to Walsenberg in a cold rain, I'd have went back to the shelter at the pass summit and rolled up in my sleeping bag and tarp and waited it out.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
This reminds me of something----This must be a common problem with bike riders. What about a small thin tent made especially for them and the bike...can't take up too much space in the saddle bag.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

8thIDGrunt
United States of America

#12 Post by 8thIDGrunt » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:01 pm

There are biker tents and bike covers already on the market but most of us older folks would prefer a good motel room.

les1234
United States of America

#13 Post by les1234 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:45 pm

I had a one man backpacking tent with me, but it's hard to set up in a hard rain without getting it full of water-tent body is screen mesh and the rainfly goes on last. And the stretch of road I was on seemed like miles and miles of fence on each side, and no place to camp.

OLDGUNNER
United States of America

#14 Post by OLDGUNNER » Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:47 pm

Okay Les - I have never traveled on a bike but...Every time when I check into a motel and see some bikes parked, I wonder just how many are stolen. It just seems to me so easy to do. Now if I was traveling by bike in Japan I wouldn't even think of this.
Ah-Ha - like a good Boy Scout...set that tent up maybe 'BEFORE' the hard rain, just kidding...but I was a Boy Scout. :)
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
United States of America

#15 Post by OLDGUNNER » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:55 pm

Scan-001.BMP.jpg
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Just my Buddy -
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Return to “Fun Facts and Trivia”